Race Tech Suspension

kyleht

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Sent both front and rear suspension out to Race Tech Suspension for them to use for R&D. Hopefully get them back in about 2 weeks.
1st post, welcome. Please let us know how it goes and how it feels when you get it back. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Will do got 3300 miles on the stock suspension can't wait to feel the difference. Went down my favorite curvy road before I took it apart and it going to be the first I go down when I put her back together.

Can't wait until we get more options and feedback on suspension both front and rear.
Please let us know IN DETAIL how it works out. Can't wait to improve my suspension.
Checked on some configurations and they were running $2600 for suspension front and rear. Wow!! I like to ride but the whole bike was only 10.500 this over 20% the value of the bike.
If I keep adding it all up it will cost what my Multistrada cost.
There has to be a better solution in the $1000 - $1500 range.
Suggestions

• Premium Member
Can't wait until we get more options and feedback on suspension both front and rear. Please let us know IN DETAIL how it works out. Can't wait to improve my suspension.
Checked on some configurations and they were running $2600 for suspension front and rear. Wow!! I like to ride but the whole bike was only 10.500 this over 20% the value of the bike.
If I keep adding it all up it will cost what my Multistrada cost.
There has to be a better solution in the $1000 - $1500 range.
Suggestions

The first thing I changed on my new DL1000 V Strom was the windshield,and then the suspension. I opted for Wilbers, and they got it dead solid perfect the first time. Never did another thing to it and traded it in on my fast red FJ. Would be interested to know if anyone on the list has gone that route. Fixing the front end on the FJ is a lot more complicated than just swapping out springs, and I would like to hear from some of Matts customers.  

• Premium Member
The rear shock is a throw away, but I think the front could be fixed with a shim stack adjustment, springs selected for your size and an oil weight/level change. You should be able to get all that done for less than $1.5k. The bikes handling is vastly improved with just a new shock.
cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
So your weight determines the spring, not the shock you buy. As far as 'medium skilled' goes, I would describe how you like to ride to the vendor and let them help you select one (solo, two up, lots of gear, no gear, fast on straights, slow in corners, crazy fast in corners, etc.,). I have a Penske 8983 and feel it was worth every penny. There are several good brands out there, but I only have experience with the Showa's, Kayaba and Ohlins my bikes came with and the Penske I just stuck on. A well made shock with ride height, rebound and compression and spring preload adjustment is worth the cash in my mind.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

just pick one from http://fj-09.org/thread/2028/shock-upgrades-compatible-swaps.
The higher the price the 'nicer' the solution. The Nitron family though is quite good despite it's affordable price.

AFAIK there is no difference between an FZ and FJ application except of course the FJ one needs to take into effect the extra 50lbs of GVW and if that means valving changes, then vendor should be responsible enough to have that figured out. Last I heard Ohlins was coming out with a FJ-specific SKU but I dont know where that settled.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived