What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

Nice new Avon Storm 3D XM tyres fitted today.

I have never used them but read some good reviews on those tires.šŸ‘

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Avon's are the only brand I have bought for the past 8 years or so this will be my 4th set. I honestly don't think that you get a bad set of tyres nowadays and most will certainly exceed my ability and need.

• Thumbsup 2

I used a vango sigma 3 man.

sigma-300.jpg

Ā 

Ā  Ā Reason being, that if itā€™s pissing down, youā€™ve got loads room to get changed and sit upright (on floor) Heavy at 4.5kg and packed is pretty big. However itā€™s rock solid in wind. You Can pitch all in one keeping fly attached, saving time, another reason why I used this one. With a lot of tents, you pitch inner with poles, then have to put fly over the top and peg out. A pain in the arse, and if itā€™s raining, the inner gets wet !Ā Other than that, if you want lighter weight and smaller pack size Iā€™ve used a vango banshee pro 2 man, but itā€™s very snug ! Iā€™m in uk, Vango just happen to make very goodĀ Waterproof budget tents.Ā 

banshee-pro-200.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by 3way
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, betoney said:

If you fit the lock flat on the caliper, would it work correctly to fit the reflector last so it sits between the lock and the bolt head?

Good thinking, but unfortunately the lock has a edge which prevents the reflector from being mounted between the bolt and the lock.

6 hours ago, keithu said:

I don't think the fork reflector helps at all with visibility when you are riding due to its size and position. I believe its only purpose is so nighttime drivers can more easily see your bike parked on a dark street. So depending on your parking situation this may or may not be valuable.Ā 

Well, if the reflector is the only thing that makes me visible for drivers, than I must be doing something wrong. So yeah, you do have a point.

finished making the brackets today for the moose racing expedition panniers. i still have to paint the brackets, but the panniers are finally usable on the bike! šŸ˜Š cranked up the preload one click and tightened the dampening by about 1/8th a turn on the rear and it feels pretty good. i do notice it feels like there is more weight up high now, and she wheelies a LOT easier now! šŸ¤¤ im very pleased with how it came out and the extra storage is going to come in handy im sure. im also planning on adding a locking latch to the bracket in the 4th picture so that they cant be stolen off the bike easily.

IMG_20200730_194616.jpg

IMG_20200730_194701.jpg

IMG_20200730_194729.jpg

IMG_20200730_194757.jpg

IMG_20200730_194847.jpg

IMG_20200730_194921.jpg

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 4

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, trevinator said:

finished making the brackets today for the moose racing expedition panniers. i still have to paint the brackets, but the panniers are finally usable on the bike! šŸ˜Š cranked up the preload one click and tightened the dampening by about 1/8th a turn on the rear and it feels pretty good. i do notice it feels like there is more weight up high now, and she wheelies a LOT easier now! šŸ¤¤ im very pleased with how it came out and the extra storage is going to come in handy im sure. im also planning on adding a locking latch to the bracket in the 4th picture so that they cant be stolen off the bike easily.

IMG_20200730_194847.jpg

Ā 

Nice job getting those built, looks good, and functional!Ā  Seeing the helmet inside gives a better perspective to their size, at your next back yard BBQ you could fill those with ice and beer!! šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, betoney said:

...at your next back yard BBQ you could fill those with ice and beer!! šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

...at your next back yard BBQ you could fill those with water and have a swim!! šŸ§œšŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 7

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, trevinator said:

IMG_20200730_194701.jpg

I don't want to be a buzzkill here, but I would pay very close attention to ground clearance with those panniers if you start cornering with any enthusiasm.Ā Ā  The bottom outside edge looks like it would drag way before the centerstand or footpegs (which already aren't that difficult to touch down) and weight in the bags will further compress the rear suspension...

I will say that dragging the luggage does sound like a bad-ass bench racing story!Ā  :)

• Thumbsup 2

Family commitments today but managed a nice 50 mile saunter to scrub in the new avon tyres in the cool of the evening. Worked as expected. Enjoyed the short bimble around local roads so still have a good 1/4 inch chicken strip on the edges so need to go back out tomorrow to be safe (or so I told the Wife.šŸ˜ƒ

• Like 1

4 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I don't want to be a buzzkill here, but I would pay very close attention to ground clearance with those panniers if you start cornering with any enthusiasm.Ā Ā  The bottom outside edge looks like it would drag way before the centerstand or footpegs (which already aren't that difficult to touch down) and weight in the bags will further compress the rear suspension...

I will say that dragging the luggage does sound like a bad-ass bench racing story!Ā  :)

I just leaned the bike over to check the clearance and it looks like the panniersĀ touch down about 2-3mm before the footpegs do, while the highway pegs hit about an inch before the normal pegs. I understand that cornering forces will make them hit sooner, so i know to take it a little easy with them on the bike, but it only takes a minute or two to remove them if i want to ride like the devil.Ā 

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2