What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Aw, man, I just got my set yesterday only to discover that one of the two buttons (one used to enter the menus, pair sensors, etc) doesn't work.  Being an AliExpress purchase for a whopping $25 cdn, I'm probably just out $25.  

Trying to decide if I'm going to order a second one or not - then I'd have a spare set of sensors.  It's a neat model, too; fully sealed and waterproof with a magnetic power connector (vaguely apple mag-safe like).  Or just shrug and move on.  Dunno.

WHICH MAKE & MODEL?

AND HOW DARK AND WINTERY IS IT UP BY YOU?

Well, being an aliexpress thing, make and model aren't really applicable.  You'll find the same product under dozens of different names.  But it's this one:

And, yeah, username is relevant now.  It's dark, and it's -30.  It's bloody freezing and gross.

Edited by Wintersdark

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

It's dark, and it's -30.

😳

Today, I turned the key and pressed the ‘Fun’ button.    From here on, it’s going to be a really good day...  

041B2BCE-7282-4BBD-A8A3-9CB50FA3BAD3.thumb.jpeg.8910e145319d20ad9f60a96cacb97e87.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Well, being an aliexpress thing, make and model aren't really applicable.  You'll find the same product under dozens of different names.  But it's this one:

And, yeah, username is relevant now.  It's dark, and it's -30.  It's bloody freezing and gross.

Yikes!  I thought -10 was bad...

• Premium Member

Tex, IFIYGD!!

Monty Python, In Search of the Holy Grail, Norman Castle scene, French insults...

I FART IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION!

• Haha 2

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Aw, man, I just got my set yesterday only to discover that one of the two buttons (one used to enter the menus, pair sensors, etc) doesn't work.

Can you pull it apart and see if the button can be fixed?  Might be worth the effort given that you've got 'nothing' to lose?

30 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Can you pull it apart and see if the button can be fixed?  Might be worth the effort given that you've got 'nothing' to lose?

I'm in contact with the seller now; they may just send me a new one.  They want a video demonstrating it not working, so that's got to happen before I start hacking it apart.  Either way, after I'm done dealing with them I'm definitely gonna pull it apart and try because why not, right?  I'm not going to send it back; it'd take so long and cost enough that it's not worth the hassle; I'd sooner just buy another instead.

• Thumbsup 1

I hope it's a sweltering summer for you.

I tried to work in the garage, had a little 1500 watt electric heater out there. Couldn't keep it above freezing with the sub zero outside. Called it quits and pulled any freezable liquids from the garage.

Feels like defeat. :(

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

I tried to work in the garage, had a little 1500 watt electric heater out there. Couldn't keep it above freezing with the sub zero outside.

I did this for a couple of years... and remember the frustration. I have since ran a circuit into the garage for a "portable" 6,000W heater. Still takes a couple hours to bring the place to good temps (say 15C).

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, piotrek said:

I did this for a couple of years... and remember the frustration. I have since ran a circuit into the garage for a "portable" 6,000W heater. Still takes a couple hours to bring the place to good temps (say 15C).

Just saying.

Screenshot (4).png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

44 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

I tried to work in the garage, had a little 1500 watt electric heater out there. Couldn't keep it above freezing with the sub zero outside. Called it quits and pulled any freezable liquids from the garage.

Feels like defeat. :(

heh yeah, I've got a 1500w heater in my garage too, it's just not even close to cutting it there.  Basically does nothing.  I even insulated it when we moved in, but... nope.  It's great if it's just cool - down to around freezing - but when it's like this?  Not even a point in turning it on. 

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Oh, it most definitely will be...  100+ F at 80% humidity is a special type of ‘miserable’ 

Your winter is my summer; life is full of decisions and compromises.  😉

• Thumbsup 2

20 minutes ago, piotrek said:

What does work really well are those portable diesel heaters.  My BIL has one, just a small $200-ish deal, and it absolutely cranks out heat and uses surprisingly little fuel to do it.  I've often considered it, but installing one requires more constructiony stuff than I can do in a rental (need an exhaust to outside).  They're awesome though. 

These (they come in a variety of wattages, all run on 12v DC): 

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for...

Edit: I just grabbed the first ebay link I found, for clarity, they come in two sizes, 2500w and 5000w.  There are 8000w ones like the one I linked, but that's just marketing babble and they're functionally identical to the 5000w models.  The 5000w models output approximately 17,000BTU, and as the exhaust is outside there's no smell.

Edited by Wintersdark