What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
@sterlinggold - is it the camera angle causing an optical illusion or is the screen really that tall? And in the upper most position with a deflector on top, you cant be getting any airflow.
Yes, it is fairly tall (Parabellum Windshield (26 inches) and Puig 6320H (4 inches)) but still get some airflow from the sides. I'm 6.4 and this setup gets wind off my helmet so I can ride without earplugs; and it's great for winter. I switch to the flyscreen during hot weather.

Made a little stand for under the headers, from scrap wood. In my paranoia the bike is also held up by the jack and a webbing strap through the bars that loops through a roof joist. I was surprised by how relatively easy it was to remove the forks and also by how much they gurgle when you turn them upside down ? Taking them in for new internals soon.

84743-ED5-1-A31-4815-8-DA5-39055-B96-FD46.jpg

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Exciting times!... tell us more! tongue.png See if you can snag a small scissor jack for the bike. They work great and you can make minute adjustments if needed. This setup you have on there could end badly for you and the bike. squint.png
The wooden stand took the full abuse of me jumping up and down on it so I’m confident it will take the small static load of the front end. The jack is rated to 1.25 tonnes, but as it’s hydraulic, there’s a small chance it could lose pressure, hence the wooden back up. And the strap is rated for towing cars. Plus, the cat is banned from the garage! 
I’m having the forks rebuilt with progressive compression and rebound damping in both legs, plus springs rated for my weight and riding needs. I’m keeping the standard fork tops though, so only rebound adjustment in one leg and of course preload on both. This keeps the costs down a bit. I don’t have the @piotrek skill set, so I’m letting more talented people do the work.
https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/

Exciting times! Maxton rang today and I’m booked in for next Wednesday. 

I’m planning on reinstalling the forks raised by 5mm. Any thoughts? Is it good practice to lubricate the forks when they go back in? Or clean the insides of the triple tree?

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, BBB said:

I’m planning on reinstalling the forks raised by 5mm. Any thoughts?

Baby steps is always wise.   I installed my reworked forks back at the stock flush location, then eventually moved them up just a little bit... less than 5mm total.   

Even a couple of millimeters can make a big difference in the handling balance, so your approach of small incremental steps is the right way to go about it.  

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, BBB said:

..Is it good practice to lubricate the forks when they go back in? Or clean the insides of the triple tree?

I clean the fork tubes and the inside of the clamps with alcohol to remove grease/oil before assembly.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

Today I replaced the 1970's turn signals with smaller LED signals from High Tech Speed

I originally wanted to try their Proton LED's but wanted more forward visibility from oncoming traffic, so I bought the X-Arc signals, same ones that I have on the back.  VERY bright!!

When you remove the oem lights and mounts, you will need 4X  Turn Signal Adapter Plates  1 each on the inside and outside of the shroud on each side.

LED-2++.jpg

LED-3++.jpg

LED-4++.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I also amputated my GT today...

20181208_171406-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.0a6e2390f6743e24dfa129d45d40d8c1.jpg

20181208_173600-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.e60d2bf8e215a49bc8f9d6a873137663.jpg

Yes, öhlins cartridges have finally arrived.

Edited by krucymucy

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

That’s like looking into the mirror @krucymucy! I have the same radiator guard too. My forks are currently sat on the spare bed (wife was alarmed, but they are nice and clean). 

While the forks are off I’m going to fit a fender extender and denali horn and clean the general area. I managed to round the head of one of the fender/mudguard bolts, they are very soft, but a new one arrived in the post today.

• Supporting Member
On 12/6/2018 at 5:58 PM, betoney said:

Today I replaced the 1970's turn signals with smaller LED signals from High Tech Speed

I originally wanted to try their Proton LED's but wanted more forward visibility from oncoming traffic, so I bought the X-Arc signals, same ones that I have on the back.  VERY bright!!

When you remove the oem lights and mounts, you will need 4X  Turn Signal Adapter Plates  1 each on the inside and outside of the shroud on each side.

LED-2++.jpg

LED-3++.jpg

LED-4++.JPG

I put the  X-arch signals on my Tracer GT, I'm very happy with them. Do your cluster indicator lights flash to rapidly or did you go with an led signal relay in?

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

I put the  X-arc signals on my Tracer GT, I'm very happy with them. Do your cluster indicator lights flash to rapidly or did you go with an led signal relay in?

Yes, I used a flasher relay from TST Industries to set the flash rate.

I bought the X-Arc for the rear over a year ago and the flash rate was really fast so I bought the relay.  I liked the X-Arc signals enough that I decided to use a set on the front as well.

They have a 20% off promo going through the end of the year, coupon code CYBER

Edited by betoney

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 hours ago, betoney said:

Yes, I used a flasher relay from TST Industries to set the flash rate.

Highly recommend going this route... no need for resistors... plug and play. And its adjustable so you can speed up or slow down the rate to your liking.

Edited by duhs10

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, duhs10 said:

Highly recommend going this route... no need for resistors... plug and play. And its adjustable so you can speed up or slow down the rate to your liking.

I have no problem with the flash rate on the signals themselves, that can be changed with the magnet. The problem I'm having is with a hyper-fast turn signal indicator light in the instrument panel. I will try the TST flasher relay and is if this cures the problem.

He who dies with the most toys wins.