What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

I finished up the last of my long list of mods today and went for a 200+ mile ride after work.

List of modifications to date:

Terry Adcox custom seats
Akrapovic carbon full exhaust
Cogent Dynamics Rear Shock
Cogent Dynamics rebuilt/ re-valved Forks
Higdonion Trail Cage
Radiator guard
ECU Flash by Vcyclenut
Barkbusters Handguards
Rox bar risers
Heated hand grips
Givi Trekker Outback Sidecases
Givi Trekker Dolomiti Topcase
SW-Motech rear rack
Custom LED Integrated Taillight
Super Tenere Turn Signals
Adventure Tech Auxiliary LEDs
Givi Sport Windscreen
Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount
Avon Trailrider Tires

And some more I'm forgetting right now.

DSC00645-1.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

Changed out my stock handlebars for some Rizoma bars. Shorter, more pullback. I'll see how they feel after a week of riding and report back.

• Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, koth442 said:

Rode 'er. 

Tomorrow’s plan.   Today was basic maintenance day...  time tinkering in the shop is always time well spent.  

EDBDD73D-B015-4559-AADF-47ACD9E727BD.thumb.jpeg.ed1d77f720c604019ddc711bf45d1798.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Tomorrow’s plan.   Today was basic maintenance day...  time tinkering in the shop is always time well spent.  

EDBDD73D-B015-4559-AADF-47ACD9E727BD.thumb.jpeg.ed1d77f720c604019ddc711bf45d1798.jpeg

Scott - Why 4 quarts of oil?  I just changed my oil and filter and 3 quarts took it to the very top of the sight glass.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Just now, betoney said:

Scott - Why 4 quarts of oil?  I just changed my oil and filter and 3 quarts took it to the very top of the sight glass.

Book says 2.7L. 

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Book says 2.7L. 

The book says "a lot of things".  😎

@wordsmith - 3 quarts is what worked for me with a new filter.  I tried 2.75 quarts but the level was a bit low for my comfort.

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, betoney said:

Scott - Why 4 quarts of oil?

I figure if three is good, four must be better, right?   :)

I’m honestly not sure why I grabbed four out of the case... With a new filter, it’s full to the very top mark of the sight glass with a fraction under three quarts.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, betoney said:

The book says "a lot of things".  😎

@wordsmith - 3 quarts is what worked for me with a new filter.  I tried 2.75 quarts but the level was a bit low for my comfort.

Mine is spot on with 2.8 quarts with a filter change, I found I have to fill mine to the high end of the sight glass to keep her happy. Works out just fine every 5th LOF. Hahaha

• Thumbsup 2
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

2.4 with a filter and mine is full. I don't believe the manual. Each time I've added the 2.7 it covers the sight glass completely.

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

After 2 1/2 years and 20K miles,  I took my final ride and we parted ways around noon.  I have several fond memories of my time spent with the trusty FJ-09 including a few multiday solo trips across or out of the country.  Hopefully, the new owner will find the adventure and enjoyment I have experienced over the decades and appreciate the versatility and simplicity of the 900cc triple.  Now I turn my attention to the challenges of adventure riding aboard a 2018 KTM 1090 Adventure R and the camaraderie of like-minded individuals of the Twin Cities Adventure Riders group.  I wish all riders of this forum safe and happy travels and will miss reading the wide variety of posting and shenanigans I have come to enjoy over the last few years. 

Parting shots - warming up for the last ride and looking good, awaiting its next owner.

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2linby said:

2.4 with a filter and mine is full. I don't believe the manual. Each time I've added the 2.7 it covers the sight glass completely.

Its odd that there is such a variance between bikes, 2.5qts fills yours but is just visible on the bottom of the sight glass on mine, It doesn't make sense. 

I have a '15 with original oil pan, do you have a later model or replacement oil pan?  I wonder if the oil pan volume is slightly different?

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Its odd that there is such a variance between bikes, 2.5qts fills yours but is just visible on the bottom of the sight glass on mine, It doesn't make sense. 

I have a '15 with original oil pan, do you have a later model or replacement oil pan?  I wonder if the oil pan volume is slightly different?

Are you all actually measuring the oil volume using a reliable measuring jug, or just using the indicator lines on the bottles the oil comes in? If the latter, there’s your variance straight away.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Today I pulled the exhaust baffle out of my Graves Exhaust and let 'er rip... Oooo how I missed that siren call that ignites my soul...

Full disclosure: it's "Memorial Day" weekend and I was tired of hearing them goofy shiny things people call " Harley Davidson" or whatever they are... 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 3
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I did this today. I know it looks a little dorky, but even though I like my Corbin seat it is slippery and has a little forward slope that had me constantly fighting sliding forward, instead of sitting comfortably in the big butt pocket. 

I wanted to build the front up a little to get rid of the forward slope, so I got this 20" x 20" sheepskin car seat pad from Amazon for only $26 and folded the front 5" back under to thicken up the front section. 

A little trimming, and sewing on some retaining straps and this is what I wound up with. It doesn't really make the seat any softer, but it definitely got rid of the sliding around and the forward slope. I like the way it sits now. 

20190526_163418.jpg

• Thumbsup 1