What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

13 hours ago, wordsmith said:

What sort or brand did you fit?   The lhs/ clutch side of my extenders, which both lift and move the mirror stems outwards, did slightly foul the TCS switch.   I simply swivelled the extender around a bit, which fixed it, albeit losing a tiny bit - less than a quarter of an inch, I guesstimate - of outward extension.   To keep things symmetrical I also slightly swivelled the rhs extender to match.    These extenders are great for improving rearward vision...  

P1060079.JPG

I bought the (expensive) SW-Motech extenders, which are basically the same as the cheap Chinese copies. The only option left with these extenders is indeed to swivel them a bit.

SW-Motech usually sells properly fitting parts, but in this case I think they never checked the compatibility.

• Premium Member

Loaned it to my son who is in town and rented a GS for me.

20191117_165613.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fddriver2 said:

Loaned it to my son who is in town and rented a GS for me.

20191117_165613.jpg

This could be Dangerous to your bank account. Take the Panzer tank out in the Florida sand play with it let, me know what you think👍

• Haha 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:12 AM, 1moreroad said:

Stumbled on it in a post somewhere.  Instead of buying a $90 chain tool, I bought a $17 screw on master link.  I only need to change my chain every 2 - 3 years, and I only have one bike, so it made sense.  You have to know to look for them, but they're on the Sprocket Center website.  There aren't a ton of reviews on the internet, but every one I found has been positive up including liter bikes.

I used this Youtube video as a guide (which exactly matches the written instructions.  It took about as long to thread the chain on the sprockets as it did to install the link.

I have been ridding since 1968, worked at a Yamaha dealership back in the 70's for a while, never heard of this, very interesting, but I without having some feedback from other that have used the screw type master link, I would be nervous about using. Having ridden only off-road and MX until about 5 years back and seeing the results of the engine cases when the chain wraps around the front sprocket, I'm a little skeptical. Guess I need to purchase one and install on a piece of scrap chain and get a feel for how the compression works when tighten the nuts. I haven’t needed to replace the chain on the FJ yet and was looking at the RK chain tool. Read the reviews on the one Cycle Gear has and felt the RK might be the way to go. I agree with Bugsinteeth, purchasing the highest quality chain is the best investment you can make when it is time to replace the set. When I purchase new MX bikes, I get the highest tensile strength name brand non-oring chain available before ridding the bike and letting the cheap chain start wearing the sprockets. Unbelievable the difference the how many times a cheap chain will need to be adjusted compared the a high tensile one.

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

20191118_090745.thumb.jpg.d814eb0fafac1ae13b1219195a16c769.jpg

for those of youse who like having a sparkling cleanish rear shock- I recommend this.. IIRC it's for a 450cc sized dirt bike rear shock, it was something I won in a raffle...its been on since day 1 and never been off till now...

10k miles later, OEM noodle looks a bit dusty but shiny/cleanish...15740864760928367972772973022653.thumb.jpg.b6076506820b28ac78285d2ca4af2657.jpg

It's a neoprene sleeve with velcro tape...the neoprene material is approx 3mm thick...the ends of the sleeve have a thick elastic band that pulls it tight around the shock mounting points..

• Like 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

I'm in no danger of buying a $25,000 BMW. 😱

I will admit that it is faster and handles better than I thought it would. I'm not ready for that jump. On top of that, my next ride is likely to be FJR-ish. As I do very little off roading. And if I do I will get a smaller enduro 250-400 cc

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

1 hour ago, foxtrot722 said:

I have been ridding since 1968, worked at a Yamaha dealership back in the 70's for a while, never heard of this, very interesting, but I without having some feedback from other that have used the screw type master link, I would be nervous about using. Having ridden only off-road and MX until about 5 years back and seeing the results of the engine cases when the chain wraps around the front sprocket, I'm a little skeptical. Guess I need to purchase one and install on a piece of scrap chain and get a feel for how the compression works when tighten the nuts. I haven’t needed to replace the chain on the FJ yet and was looking at the RK chain tool. Read the reviews on the one Cycle Gear has and felt the RK might be the way to go. I agree with Bugsinteeth, purchasing the highest quality chain is the best investment you can make when it is time to replace the set. When I purchase new MX bikes, I get the highest tensile strength name brand non-oring chain available before ridding the bike and letting the cheap chain start wearing the sprockets. Unbelievable the difference the how many times a cheap chain will need to be adjusted compared the a high tensile one.

@Foxtrot ....

if you are on the fence about that RK tool, I do have one and it's VERY good quality....have used it, and

not found it wanting in any way...it works exactly as advertised....quick and easy-peasy

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, BugsInTeeth said:

nice stripe.....how you do dat ?

@BugsInTeeth - Well like most ideas I get, it all stemmed from others within this forum.  The red pinstriping in my case is nothing more than some 3mm red tape that was donated by @wordsmith (who lives down the road from me). I very carefully took my time and cut it at the correct angle to match up with the ends and cut it again where it meets at the only small change of direction to avoid any bunching.  On advice from others I applied a dab of Mrs. Dazzlers clear nail polish at the ends and the join to hopefully stop any peeling.

Doesn't look too bad a job for a rank amateur I think? - As long as you don't look too closely. 🙂

Cheers.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

@BugsInTeeth - Well like most ideas I get, it all stemmed from others within this forum.  The red pinstriping in my case is nothing more than some 3mm red tape that was donated by @wordsmith (who lives down the road from me). I very carefully took my time and cut it at the correct angle to match up with the ends and cut it again where it meets at the only small change of direction to avoid any bunching.  On advice from others I applied a dab of Mrs. Dazzlers clear nail polish at the ends and the join to hopefully stop any peeling.

Doesn't look too bad a job for a rank amateur I think? - As long as you don't look too closely. 🙂

Cheers.

I'm gonna be a bloody know-all and chip in here, dazzler.   For those contemplating this easy-enough job, do not bother about cutting the ends of the tape to match and line-up at each end initially - it's too fiddly.   Instead, run the tape an inch or so over one end of the channel (it matters not which, front or back) and lightly stick it down.   Then finish the job of running the tape in and along the channel, again running the end of the tape past the other end and lightly sticking it down.   Then - once you have the tape in it's desired final position in the channel, use a very sharp blade (say a Stanley knife or scalpel) to cut the tape-ends at the desired angle, and apply a drop of go-faster nail varnish.   When cutting through the tape, apply some static downward pressure rather than moving the blade across the tape which might risk making a slight scratch in the paintwork, although this would be tiny and all but invisible unless you are really ham-fisted!    Stand back: admire: have a beer.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I Wish Wordy lived down the street from me.  I'm sure my FJ would not be as plain-Jane as it is now!

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09