What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Finally replaced the clutch cable with the updated version.. mine never showed any signs of fatigue, fraying, or excessive stretching, but I have a 600 mile ride coming up and didn't want to find out it was failing when I was out of state.
How many miles didja get out of it? I'm at 22,225 on the OEM. I've got a backup ready to go when the time comes, feels like it's getting close.

I'm at 12,8XX... No signs of failing, but the replacement was cheap so i went ahead with it... overall very easy process as well.

Might pack it whenever I take out of state rides so that I have a replacement just in case.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Finally replaced the clutch cable with the updated version.. mine never showed any signs of fatigue, fraying, or excessive stretching, but I have a 600 mile ride coming up and didn't want to find out it was failing when I was out of state. 
I also installed the Gilles Tooling axle blocks/adjusters since the drive chain slack needed to be adjusted anyway. I used the Motion Pro chain alignment tool to line up the sprockets (right side adjuster is about 4mm further forward on adjuster marks than left)... but it seems like I'm getting a lot more chain noise from the front sprocket... could just be in my head since I test rode it around my neighborhood with no helmet or maybe because the chain now has proper tension on it? … and by "proper tension" I'm not talking about what the book says. Seems to ride straight, no wobbles, no swaying, turn in seems normal. What should I look for to determine if my rear wheel /chain is out of alignment?

So I've had that tool for many years now and I still question how to get the most accurate reading every time I use it.

I don't like trying to sight down the rod because that always makes it look misaligned. I usually look down from the top and make sure the distance from the rod to the side of the chain is consistent the whole length of the rod.

I wish it had a longer guide rod as I think that would help get an easier and more accurate reading. Regardless, it's still a great tool I'm glad I have.

@dbeau yeah it wasn't bad using the motion pro tool, but I had to adjust and look at it a couple times until I was satisfied (which I'm still a little skeptical but I'm sure it's close enough)...

I don't understand why the laser alignment tools are so expensive.. Profi Cat's tool is over $100usd for basically a laser pointer.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Adjusted the chain again. Changed the oil and replaced the spark plugs.

Still on the list to do is sync the throttle bodies, check the steering head bearings and swing arm pivot. It's too hot in the garage to tackle that today.

@dbeau yeah it wasn't bad using the motion pro tool, but I had to adjust and look at it a couple times until I was satisfied (which I'm still a little skeptical but I'm sure it's close enough)... 
I don't understand why the laser alignment tools are so expensive.. Profi Cat's tool is over $100usd for basically a laser pointer.
Producing a LED is trivial. Turning into a pointer isn't too bad. Making a laser pointer into a well collimated, steady output beam requires some optics and power management. Plus the bracket must be aligned to the laser which requires some careful measuring and assembly.  
For reference, this is a "quality" laser diode module that is very well collimated. This would be over kill for a chain alignment tool, but you get the idea of price.

https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=CPS635S

In sort: laser points are cheap, making them useful for alignment is not.

'15 FJ09

Producing a LED is trivial. Turning into a pointer isn't too bad. Making a laser pointer into a well collimated, steady output beam requires some optics and power management. Plus the bracket must be aligned to the laser which requires some careful measuring and assembly.  
For reference, this is a "quality" laser diode module that is very well collimated. This would be over kill for a chain alignment tool, but you get the idea of price.

https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=CPS635S

In sort: laser points are cheap, making them useful for alignment is not.

Yeah makes sense...

I can buy a laser level that shoots a straight line across a wall for $20. Didn't think there would be much of a difference.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Most recent change was to remove the factory hand guards and add bar ends. Summer change. I also got tired of the transformer look to the bike.

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Started off by installing a pair of Grip Puppies, to help further reduce vibration (replaced the OEM grips months ago, with gel grips, which partially reduced vibration). Next, I installed Sato Racing Rear Swing Arm Spools &Front Axle Sliders. After that, I installed the very-long-awated-for Yamaha GYTR Quick-Shift Shifter Kit. And, finally...I took her out for a nice 3-hour ride, thoroughly testing the quick-shift, as well as the MCCruise cruise control I installed last week. Now, I'm just waiting for the Denali Soundbomb Split Dual-Tone Air Horn, and mirror extenders/risers to arrive. What will I be installing after that? Good question...and I don't have an answer...yet.

Continuing to take advantage of the ECU being off for a flash. Performed additional surgery and removed the charcoal canister this evening. It did NOT come willingly. Almost stripped the bolts holding the mounting bracket to the frame, but it's out.

IMG_4534.jpg

• Premium Member
Most recent change was to remove the factory hand guards and add bar ends. Summer change. I also got tired of the transformer look to the bike.
I'm thinking of finally doing this as well. What bar ends did you go with? 

• Supporting Member
@hawkeye - I’m among the group that recently ditched the stock handguards, and I much prefer the bike without them. I went with the factory FZ9 bar ends, but there are numerous other options.

Check out this thread for some ideas: https://fj-09.org/thread/6794/removing-factory-hand-guards

I removed the " Bat Wings " ... stole the bar ends off my FZ-07 since they fit...

its my theory at certain speeds and angle of " Bat Wings " they provide the lift needed to help the FJ-09 achieve flight
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp