What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member

I am also considering the Tenere front signals, post up your impressions of them after you get them installed. 

Why not going with the YME-FLB2F-00 instead?

From the photos, they dont look like they would fit the FJ correctly, (round mount vs. oblong mount) they look like they are made for the FZ.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

it's main purpose is to muffle the "intake" noise... removing it showed a nice noticeable increase.in HP/TQ across the board..read this.. https://fj-09.org/thread/1189/fj-09-flash-ready-updated?page=3...bout half page down...worth 3-4 HP/TQ... 
r

Is there anything else that needs to be done for the bike to "learn" the increased airflow?  I already have the flash for stock exhaust.
Is the increase actually noticeable by real world riding or mostly on a dyno?

i wouldn't call it increased airflow, but rather the reduced effort required to get air volume needed for that moment in time more efficiently...  
the reason the foam was noticed as a restriction is because the FZ-09 and FJ-09 share same engine and airbox... the FZ made 3-4more hp/tq over the FJ...removing the foam brought the FJ inline with FZ hp/tq numbers...

i cant say its noticeable because I pulled the foam as soon as I sent my ECU out years ago... but it should be noticeable at 3-4hp gain in real world...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
Well in that case, I guess the foam is coming out

I think I will do the same, what can it hurt, right?

...and I just had everything torn apart last week to clean the air filter.

• Supporting Member
Why not going with the YME-FLB2F-00 instead?

From the photos, they dont look like they would fit the FJ correctly, (round mount vs. oblong mount) they look like they are made for the FZ.

Hi @jeremlab - I honestly hadn't looked around extensively at other options, given that I like the idea of staying with OEM Yamaha parts where I know the quality will be consistent.   Also, I could physically see what the Super Tenere signals looked like on my local dealership's showroom floor, which made the 'yeah, I like that look' decision easier for me.    
To the point @betoney makes above, the standard oval rubber mount format makes the parts largely interchangeable, minus the connector style, of course.  Unless the wiring for the replacement rears is exactly the same length as the FJ original signals, you'll have to cut and splice to fit anyway, so changing the connectors doesn't really have any incremental impact.  

• Premium Member
I removed the "bat wings" a couple weeks ago and ordered some inexpensive bar ends. They arrived today so I installed them and went for a short ride... and tagged my first deer. :o  

Doing north of 70 mph with the sun in my eyes I didn't see it until it was in front of me - didn't even have time for anything to pucker - and I felt a very light bump on the front tire as it passed. ::)

Oh, and the bar ends worked just fine. :)

• Supporting Member
@henchman - Wow... that is literally a matter of inches. Glad you came out on the good side of that situation! Suffice it to say that my deer strike was a bit nastier than yours... large animals and high speed impacts are an ugly combination.

Oh, and nice bar ends... :)

• Supporting Member
@Henchman Sorry to hear about your encounter, I hope you are OK. It sounds like you and your bike fared better than I did, me and my bike went tumbling down the road and my bike was a total write-off.

• Premium Member
@henchman - Wow... that is literally a matter of inches. Glad you came out on the good side of that situation! Suffice it to say that my deer strike was a bit nastier than yours... large animals and high speed impacts are an ugly combination.  
Oh, and nice bar ends... smiley.png
I'm feeling pretty blessed or lucky right about now... maybe I should hurry up and buy that winning lotto ticket? 

Got the ECU back and reinstalled, removed the piece of foam off the front of the tank bottom, put the bike back together and didn't even have any spare parts! Also got some Puig adjustable/folding levers and bar ends. Levers are great, but the bar ends (for an FZ-09) don't thread in flush. I'll have to look at it closer in the morning.

• Premium Member
@henchman Sorry to hear about your encounter, I hope you are OK. It sounds like you and your bike fared better than I did, me and my bike went tumbling down the road and my bike was a total write-off.
Thanks @betoney - My bike and I are fine, and very happy to have avoided the feared "me and my bike tumbling down the road" scenario. I normally don't ride that time of day for that very reason. I've had a few close calls before, but never this close! I think the person in the oncoming lane was happy too that I didn't T-bone the deer and end up as their new hood ornament.  
"Another beer please!"

...removed the piece of foam off the front of the tank bottom...
Does it just pull off or do you have to get a bit more physical with it? Notice any difference from doing it?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Does it just pull off or do you have to get a bit more physical with it? Notice any difference from doing it?
If you're lucky it will pull off. More than likely you'll pull of a few large chunks then scrape off the rest that is being stubborn. I talked to 2WDW about removing the foam before I did. They informed me there is a noticeable power gain on dyno. Unlikely a normal person like myself would notice the 2hp gain. And it was after having my ECU flashed so it was all one big change.

'15 FJ09

It came off in one piece for me, just had to work it a bit. It was also pretty filthy, so I wonder if it doesn’t do double duty as a pre-filter.

Haven’t had a chance to ride it yet, and I’ll only be commuting until the weekend, the off to the mountains and I’ll see what this flash is all about. ?

I did mine at the same time as my ECU flash so hard to tell if it makes a noticeable power difference... but it definitely makes a difference in the induction noise the motor makes.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA