What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Got a pair of Grip Puppies and installed them on the bike tonight. Went on very easy with soapy water and just a little pushing. Much easier than I expected. They feel kind of fat right now, but I haven't taken them out on the road yet. I'm hoping they compress a bit with use, and I get used to the larger grip.

I'm just trying to reduce some hand fatigue on those 8+ hour day rides. I'll try riding with them tomorrow, weather permitting.

Got a pair of Grip Puppies and installed them on the bike tonight. Went on very easy with soapy water and just a little pushing. Much easier than I expected. They feel kind of fat right now, but I haven't taken them out on the road yet. I'm hoping they compress a bit with use, and I get used to the larger grip.  
I'm just trying to reduce some hand fatigue on those 8+ hour day rides. I'll try riding with them tomorrow, weather permitting.
Last bike I had came with grip puppies on it and I could never get over the "fat" feeling. That was an '02 zr7 that handled nowhere near as well as the fj, but with the puppies on I felt like I had way less control of the bike. I've been tempted to try the puppies on the fj so I'm curious how they fare for you.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Premium Member
Last bike I had came with grip puppies on it and I could never get over the "fat" feeling. That was an '02 zr7 that handled nowhere near as well as the fj, but with the puppies on I felt like I had way less control of the bike. I've been tempted to try the puppies on the fj so I'm curious how they fare for you.
Well they were cheap enough, and a lot of people love them. I figure I'll give them a try and if I don't like them, I'll can just take them off.

• Premium Member
Well they were cheap enough, and a lot of people love them. I figure I'll give them a try and if I don't like them, I'll can just take them off.
Got em, love em. I replace them when they get funky. Once a year or so. As always YMMV 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Put a Seat Concepts seat on. Thanks arcboy. 5774dfade6f9baed7212c09ec9996d3f.jpgde77989346b70a276d4051e5df4d1f8d.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Technically, did this yesterday, but, since it's barely 7am PST, I'm guessing it "still counts". Installed SW-MOTECH mirror extenders, and a Denali SoundBomb Dual-Tone Split Air Horn. The mirror extenders were super-simple...the air horn, on the other hand, proved slightly "problematic". I had, initially, intended mounting the compressor under the seat (as several others had done), and the horn to the stock bracket. To make a long story short (the full story, along with a video, should be uploaded to the "air horn" thread before the end of the weekend), while the horn did get mounted in the stock location, instead of mounting it to the bracket that the stock horn was mounted to, I removed the bracket, rotated the horn 90° (so that the horn it's facing downward, instead of to the left side of the bike), and mounted it to the piece attached to the lower triple-clamp. As for the compressor, I decided to mount it to the inside of my Givi Engine Guard Bars, thus shortening the needed tube length.

Having briefly tested the new horn, I can attest (as, I'm certain, some of my neighbors could grudgingly do) that it is QUITE LOUD. If anyone else has been contemplating replacing the OEM "roadrunner sounding beep-beep" horn with an air horn, I can HIGHLY recommend the Denali SoundBomb (it's your choice whether to get the "split" version, or the single piece version, but I'd probably suggest ignoring the SoundBomb Mini). Just be certain to get the plug-and-play wiring harness, as it drastically improves the installation process.

New Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires. The amount of confidence this tire give you, is really high. 

IMG_20180627_184533.jpg

I put on a RoadSmart III rear on my bike just before a 1800 km trip and it performed great.  I got 19,900 km (~12,400 miles) on the stock Dunlop without a puncture.  About 1500 km into my trip, I picked up a finishing nail in one of the groves on the RS III that went all the way into the tire.  I used a Stop-and-Go mushroom plug on it and it seems to be fine.  My local motorcycle shop says they won't patch tires anymore (only plugs) because the inside of the tire is too oily to hold a patch.  I don't know how accurate that is but time will tell with the plug.  I'm not inclined to spend another $250 to buy and mount another tire so I hope this one holds for at least 20K km like the OEM tire.

@trokarr I have used regular tar stick and rubber cement style plugs on several tires without any issues... I personally think it's fine, but others will error on the side of caution and say replace the tire.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Got em, love em. I replace them when they get funky. Once a year or so. As always YMMV
Yep, the Grip Puppies definitely have a fat feeling to them, but after riding about an hour, I didn't notice anymore. They are much more comfortable than the stock grips, and installation was super easy. I recommend them, but ymmv!

New Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires. The amount of confidence this tire give you, is really high. 

IMG_20180627_184533.jpg

I put on a RoadSmart III rear on my bike just before a 1800 km trip and it performed great.  I got 19,900 km (~12,400 miles) on the stock Dunlop without a puncture.  About 1500 km into my trip, I picked up a finishing nail in one of the groves on the RS III that went all the way into the tire.  I used a Stop-and-Go mushroom plug on it and it seems to be fine.  My local motorcycle shop says they won't patch tires anymore (only plugs) because the inside of the tire is too oily to hold a patch.  I don't know how accurate that is but time will tell with the plug.  I'm not inclined to spend another $250 to buy and mount another tire so I hope this one holds for at least 20K km like the OEM tire.
20k km on OEM Dunlop tyres.... must be a record. Would love to know how/what kind of riads and riding. 
I got 13k on original Dunlops and was probably 1500km overdue.

Next set was Metzeler Roadtec 01...outstanding tyre while it lasted as the rear is down to legal limit now at 10k km...disappointed given the price tag and longevity claims...front still ok... so have just ordered a new Pirelli Angel GT.
I do 2/3rds commute 1/3rd tour... 20k km/yr in all...

20k km on OEM Dunlop tyres.... must be a record. Would love to know how/what kind of riads and riding. 
I got 13k on original Dunlops and was probably 1500km overdue.

Next set was Metzeler Roadtec 01...outstanding tyre while it lasted as the rear is down to legal limit now at 10k km...disappointed given the price tag and longevity claims...front still ok... so have just ordered a new Pirelli Angel GT.
I do 2/3rds commute 1/3rd tour... 20k km/yr in all...
I don't know if it is a record for an OEM rear tire, but I got 19,929 km on it.  I am retired so I spend my summers touring Canada and the USA.  I ride 95% highway/5% city and use my bike mainly for touring.  I don't ride the interstates but stick to secondary roads.  I ride only 1-up and with a tail bag and Shad 23 side cases packed full. 
I will say I probably should have changed the rear 1000-1500 km before I did, but I was on a trip and the tire looked fine.  When I got home I noticed that I had actually worn through the cords and was riding on probably only 2 mm of rubber at the end.  Really dumb on my part and I plan to change out the next tire well before this happens again; I learned my lesson.  Realistically, I would say the OEM rear was good for 17.5-18K km based on my riding style.

https://imgur.com/a/KSaUgNR

Added an auxiliary fuse block from https://www.fuzeblocks.com.
My added lights got bumped on a month ago and drained the battery dead. Then I added an additional 12v outlet with blue LED’s. I wanted the full 10 amps but also switched so I wouldn’t have to worry about parasitic drain. Everything is crimped, soldered, and heat shrunk where appropriate and also in a loom where it passes under the seat bracket. I also wired direct a bit of 8 gauge wire to a winch style quick connect plug. This is for the jump pack I bought. I wanted something more compact than the alligator clamps which would also have a hard time reaching the positive post.

Pretty pleased with it all and now it will be easy to tie in another set of driving lights and some accent lights possibly.

• Supporting Member
I added a few subtle silver accents to add a little contrast and break up the black and red.
I also got some silver steel mesh and put it inside the body panel, like a fake air intake.

Silver1.jpg

Silver2.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***