What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, fddriver2 said:

Did the 24,000 mile service and the 26,000 mile valve adjustment. And put a Yoshimura exhaust on. Thanks @mattemike🙂

The technician described the exhaust valves as excessively tight.  At 25,750 miles.

That seems to be very common on the first valve adjustment.  I wonder if they are that way upon assembly or they tighten up with mileage?  Has anyone with higher mileage done a 2nd or 3rd valve check and found tight exhaust valves again? or only on the first time inspection?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

34 minutes ago, betoney said:

That seems to be very common on the first valve adjustment.  I wonder if they are that way upon assembly or they tighten up with mileage?  Has anyone with higher mileage done a 2nd or 3rd valve check and found tight exhaust valves again? or only on the first time inspection?

I’m probably going to do mine in a month, should be about 44k miles. They claimed mine were fine at 24k, so I’m interested to see what happens this time (at a different shop). 

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I just did my second. My mechanic told me they were all good and that they didn't change really from the first check. They didn't need adjusting the first time around.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Let’s go Brandon

3 hours ago, TracerDoc said:

How many miles do people usually feel comfortable going with full synthetic oil change? Asking for tracer GT if that makes any difference which I guess it doesn’t at all :) 

I go 5,000 miles or 1 year.

'15 FJ09

4 hours ago, TracerDoc said:

How many miles do people usually feel comfortable going with full synthetic oil change? Asking for tracer GT if that makes any difference which I guess it doesn’t at all :) 

3k miles or sooner if shifting is getting "clunky"... It's a personal preference... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

While waiting for parts and my new shock I removed the swingarm. Cleaned and greased everything. Removed the old shock. Weather is perfect for riding. Hopefully everything arrives before the weekend. 

• Thumbsup 2

Yesterday was too cold to ride, but warm enough for some time in the workshop. I wanted to flush the coolent since it was from 2015, check / change the air filter, sync the throttle bodies, and install an APE manual cam chain tensioner. (it has the TSB replacement tensioner but still rattles occasionally)

I decided to check the valves since it was apart, and I'm glad I did. Bike has 12k on it and all exhaust were tight, and two intake were on the low side. Luckily I had a 7.48mm OD shim kit on hand. I set exhaust all on the high side (.30mm), and intake in the middle at .15mm.

20190331_155240.jpg

• Thumbsup 6

Thanks to everyone's contributions here I was able to swap out the updated clutch cable (even though current cable is still in good shape) and install some Helibar bar risers. After installing the Corbin seat last week I really needed those bar risers and now all is well.

I also took some clear 3M 8 mil protective tape on the rearset guards and on rear passenger footpeg brackets. Pretty much covered all areas that my boots rub so the paint doesn't wear away.

Next up and on order, radiator guard.

• Thumbsup 2

I installed a Blaster X tail light assembly today. Way brighter than stock. It flashes 4 times quickly when you apply the brakes. I opted for keeping stock turn signals along with the integrated feature. All plug and play, a very simple install.  This is a really good quality piece. Been run over once by a car that didn't see me. I'm doing what I can to keep it from happening again.

583362682_BlasterX.thumb.jpg.94f94ca268951559e836402e804f42c9.jpg

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, chesterburnet said:

I installed a Blaster X tail light assembly today. Way brighter than stock. It flashes 4 times quickly when you apply the brakes. I opted for keeping stock turn signals along with the integrated feature. All plug and play, a very simple install.  This is a really good quality piece. Been run over once by a car that didn't see me. I'm doing what I can to keep it from happening again.

I got the same tail light assembly this winter and it's great.  I love that you can get Yamaha connectors from Custom LED for the tail light so that you get quick disconnect and the ability to return it to stock without ever needing to splice or cut wires.

• Thumbsup 2

Hey  @chesterburnet,

Which Blaster did you buy?  The 2014-2016 FZ 09 version?

I did not see a listing for an FJ 09.

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

FZ-09-tail-light-2_03aa44f4-0701-4b3c-88
WWW.CUSTOMLED.COM

Don't forget the splitters if you want to use with the stock turn signals. I  used both and so I didn't need the relay. I'm guessing that if you use an aftermarket turn signal or eliminate the stock signals you'll need to use the relay. I ordered LED turn signals from TST today so I'll know the answer to that shortly.  Where in NH are you. I work for a  company in Salem NH but not at that location.

Yamaha FJ-09 Integrated LED Tail Light and Turn Signal with Blaster-X, Brake Alert, Turn Alert and Strobe mode! Fits years 2015 2016 2017 FJ-09. Top...
CL-YT3W-1-SPLIT_grande.jpg?v=1546571972
WWW.CUSTOMLED.COM

Yamaha OEM Turn Signal Y-Splitter Connectors, 3-Wire (pair), fits Yamaha Motorcycles Turn Signal Connector. Don't hack up your OEM harness! Use...

Gave the bike a quick wash today but headers just aren't coming clean so I had to pull out 'my lil friend' to get the job done. I've been using Bar Keepers on my KTM headers since we ride a lot of adobe clay which is by far the hardest to remove after its baked on. Made quick work of these headers, heres a before/after...

20190405_181353.thumb.jpg.bf995eb1796d6361646698ca0ea5d469.jpg

20190405_174100.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1