What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Installed a new Road 5 rear tire yesterday. Had to do a little sanding on the valve stem hole with a dremel tool to get my new Moto-D angled valve stem to fit without folding over the rubber seal. Have an Evotech radiator guard to go on, but after fighting to get the old tire off and the new tire on the rim and back on the bike I didn't feel like fooling with it. I'll do it another day. 

Those 15 minute tire changes you see on videos just don't work out that fast for me! 

• Like 1

IMG_20190413_155038.thumb.jpg.2e73e410e8ca2decf9df93add86b8e07.jpgJust received my new Kappa K466 top box! I've been looking for a replacement for my 6 year old $36 generic top box. I was wanting something with a bit more room, I could barely close it on my full face helmet and you could forget about putting a jacket in with it. After checking out Givi and Shad I just didn't feel those plastic boxes were worth what they charge for them, at least not to me. After an internet search I found the Kappa at Motostorm. It's amazing how much cheaper those top boxes are overseas. With the optional backrest and shipping it was only $177 which is about half what anything comparable in the states costs. Already have it mounted and I think I'm really going to like it.

• Thumbsup 1

IMG_5168.thumb.jpeg.45df13100405610dfe67d82d831018bc.jpeg

Added a 8" LED strip light for added running and brake lights. Changed the oil with Rotella T6. Cleaned and lubed the chain with DuPont wax based "Chain Saver".  The LED strip is mounted on my Shad top case mount and is viewed with the running light on. The Brake light is about three times as intense.  And added a Madstad 20" Light tinted shield about a week ago. 

Edited by 2linby
  • Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member

Installed Nitron shock yesterday then out for a test ride. Better than the oem shock I had rebuilt. Still harsh in town, but great on nice curvy roads. Nitron manual says - on the Rebound/Comprerssion. I'll try that today.

Am I expecting too much from this suspension? Would like the shock to absorb road imperfections a little better. I've ridden a couple of bikes that soak up those kind of roads. They have 3 inches more travel though.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fr8dog said:

Installed Nitron shock yesterday then out for a test ride. Better than the oem shock I had rebuilt. Still harsh in town, but great on nice curvy roads. Nitron manual says - on the Rebound/Comprerssion. I'll try that today.

Am I expecting too much from this suspension? Would like the shock to absorb road imperfections a little better. I've ridden a couple of bikes that soak up those kind of roads. They have 3 inches more travel though.

Does your shock have one adjuster? Or separate for compression and rebound?

did you have it built to your spec or is it an off the shelf unit?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Today on cold and a bit rainy sunday I decided to fix rattling peace of (sh..) plastic under wind screen adjusting bolt. I squeezed with a screwdriver, a little rubber O-ring between bolt flange and that plastic piece. Also I fixed loosening of adjusting bolt with counter nut.

IMG_20190414_185543.thumb.jpg.b94bc98901886a7b13cbd58b2c950599.jpg

IMG_20190414_185424.jpg

IMG_20190414_185614.jpg

IMG_20190414_185812.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Does your shock have one adjuster? Or separate for compression and rebound?

did you have it built to your spec or is it an off the shelf unit?

Built to spec. One knob controls rebound and adjustment.

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

Built to spec. One knob controls rebound and adjustment.

If they build it to your spec then it should be fairly pleasant and compliant over mixed surfaces, depending on what you indicated when you had them build it. ( did you have them build it for touring or a track day or aggressive street riding?)

If it only has a single adjustment knob I would back off a few clicks and see if that makes the ride any better. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, enx said:

Today on cold and a bit rainy sunday I decided to fix rattling peace of (sh..) plastic under wind screen adjusting bolt. I squeezed with a screwdriver, a little rubber O-ring between bolt flange and that plastic piece. Also I fixed loosening of adjusting bolt with counter nut.

IMG_20190414_185543.thumb.jpg.b94bc98901886a7b13cbd58b2c950599.jpg

IMG_20190414_185424.jpg

IMG_20190414_185614.jpg

IMG_20190414_185812.jpg

I pud a dab of blue loctite on it. it stays tight and i can still adjust it if needed without tools.

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member

I mounted a new rear Bridgestone S21 tire during the rain.  My Pit-Bull front Hybrid stand won't work as is with the Tracer so I'll have to get a different pin or the "hybrid swivels" from Pit-Bull; haven't decided which way to go so I can get the front lifted to get the new front tire put on.

The OE Dunlop D222 must have one of the stiffest sidewalls made.  I've never had such a hard time getting a tire off of a rim before!  I was sweating up a storm.  I'm not really looking forward to that front tire when time comes.  Maybe I'll grab my wife's heating blanket to wrap it in once I get the wheel off the bike.....

7A80BBB7-0FBD-40EF-B64B-BE1D50574037.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, 3sum said:

My Pit-Bull front Hybrid stand won't work as is with the Tracer so I'll have to get a different pin or the "hybrid swivels" from Pit-Bull; haven't decided which way to go so I can get the front lifted to get the new front tire put on.

You don't need a front stand.  Use the center stand and put something heavy on the rear rack (if you have one) to lift the front.

• Premium Member

New tires! Roadsmart 3s as the Road 5s were a miserable experience with cupping and ramping after 2,000 miles. Oh well, I've got a tire machine, so "Quit your bitchin!". I truly view tires as consumables and don't think badly of Michelin. I think I'll try more rebound, yet I didn't have this problem with Roadtec 01, T30 Evos or RS2 that were previously fitted. I was running 36F/42R as my girlfriend is usually rides pillion. The Tiregard TPMS is a good system. I've mounted the sensors inside the tire rim using Doran Manufacturing valve stems with the lock ring.

IMG_4281.jpg.a1122a938b9331d44ac0db71746d82a9.jpgs-l500.jpg.f3bc349c19991e32291a440cefc57db8.jpgIMG_4287.jpg.01b2cb018a0b4a056fc44c31c5b88800.jpgIMG_4271.jpg.f23397c08fe89009af61a51061d3aaa5.jpgIMG_4272.jpg.5526dbe6a93eef493de25df39e4c5449.jpgIMG_4268.jpg.94f1be1f063794aaabb419659f367e0d.jpgIMG_4269.jpg.32f6d7bcca785b5d961a1be3dd4c1e25.jpgIMG_4282.jpg.3ae44c0354b03a933f2c8632e06eb784.jpg

• Thumbsup 7
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I think the Pilot Roads may be great for a tire on a commuter or touring bike but not as good on a sport bike that is used primarily in the curves. The front tire was the one that always went south on me as the sides of the tire wore quickly and the center did not. This left a profile that looked like a bicycle tire and it would fall off the center strip leaning into corners. The rear always feathered just like your pictures and I never had one last more than 3,000 miles. I was running these on heavier and more powerful bikes, a Versys 100 and a Tiger 1050, but still felt that the tires should have performed better given the price.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, mike said:

I think the Pilot Roads may be great for a tire on a commuter or touring bike but not as good on a sport bike that is used primarily in the curves. The front tire was the one that always went south on me as the sides of the tire wore quickly and the center did not. This left a profile that looked like a bicycle tire and it would fall off the center strip leaning into corners. The rear always feathered just like your pictures and I never had one last more than 3,000 miles. I was running these on heavier and more powerful bikes, a Versys 100 and a Tiger 1050, but still felt that the tires should have performed better given the price.

That tire wear pattern looks like rebound is too fast.  My Metzler Roadtec 01 rear did exactly the same and wore very prematurely.  I tried the Michelin PR5 for the first time and I have rebound set to almost closed on the stock shock. Just enough that the rear end actually moves, and it's been almost 5k miles and the wear is perfect so far.

• Thumbsup 1