What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Helmet Lock  and Nautilus mini air horn (Ebay for only $20)

The bolts fastening the left side passenger peg have to get removed and you put the helmet lock behind it to get bolted down. The trouble is that

Yamaha put those bolts on super tight and used loctite. One head stripped so I had to drill and use a bolt extractor. Thankfully it worked out. and to top it off no parts houses have replacement bolts so I ended up using stainless cap bolts.

The air horn was more fun to do. After separating the horn compressor from the horn I found it fit nicely under the seat bracket bridge  (you have to remove the 4 bolts holding it down).  I ran 5/16 clear tubing under the left side facscia alongside the tank . After some plastic trimming was able to easily mount the horn to the left side frame with some zip ties.  I put a cut piece of bike inner tube behind it to make it tight and not leave marks on the frame.   The front bracket is a hassle to mess with. I started out with intentions of mounting it up front but gave up after about an hour of trying.   The sound from this thing is so loud I would be discretionary on when I use it. I have heard the stebel full size which I think sounds a little more musical albeit loud as well. this one however resembles a truck horn! 

7.png

6.png

5.png

• Premium Member

Simply give them a call at 866-816-7233 and order the stems. Yes, any style with work with these valve stems.

PAIR STRAIGHT VALVE STEMS

1 $9.9900 $9.99

FOR #360M

• Thanks 1
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

11 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Woo-hoo!   Are you in Knoxville yet?   The riding there has to be infinitely better than central Missouri... 

Not yet, another couple of weeks.

I'm in the Ozarks which has pretty decent riding thankfully! Obviously not Smokey Mountains quality though.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

I purchased Rox Risers and used them to lower my bars and push them forward.  I think I have it set perfect for me and the clearance in the lines and body work was millimeters all around.

1.) Here you can see the bars are forward and lower than stock.  I'll probably flip the stock riser caps back forward since the keyhole is not an easy thing to get to with gloves on now.

20190418_182424_HDR.thumb.jpg.9e4e1e72051ff9d504fa3c96c653bd72.jpg

2.) Two pictures of left side bar clearance at full left lock - fairing and instruments.  Full right lock is identical on fairing clearance and the clutch cables have a lot more clearance.  You can also see the position of the risers in the second picture.

20190418_181757_HDR.thumb.jpg.aba779ef1ccb67d0431c701a42c8fb54.jpg

20190418_181921_HDR.thumb.jpg.5844b610f491c5f392ed98d8332244bb.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
On 4/15/2019 at 6:13 AM, builderbob said:

You don't need a front stand.  Use the center stand and put something heavy on the rear rack (if you have one) to lift the front.

I did that last night. And boy oh boy did it feel sketchy putting my toolbox on the rear rack to raise the front. It worked (thanks BTW) but I was sweating bullets the whole time. 

BF996F8A-8591-4322-96B5-A0C74813B75E.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Got the OEM accessory radiator guard today. I’m not wild about it being attached with *zip ties* but oh well. I’ll just keep an eye on it. 

8208A2C8-ED34-498B-BCA6-7B9C147F8C08.jpeg

03AEDBD8-C3DE-4ADC-866C-F29E8FD4CAC0.jpeg

E38F460F-8FA1-437C-8B1D-E3D0848CF3EE.jpeg

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, 3sum said:

Got the OEM accessory radiator guard today. I’m not wild about it being attached with *zip ties* but oh well. I’ll just keep an eye on it. 

8208A2C8-ED34-498B-BCA6-7B9C147F8C08.jpeg

03AEDBD8-C3DE-4ADC-866C-F29E8FD4CAC0.jpeg

E38F460F-8FA1-437C-8B1D-E3D0848CF3EE.jpeg

Mines been on there with the zip ties for more than 50k miles. 

Nice lookin pipes. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

A home-made DIY rad guard on each of my two previous Tracers, and now on the current one, has been securely held in-place with zip-ties over several thousand kilometres.   Hard to see, though, as both ties and guard are black.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Thanks Michah. I really like the Yosh. For whatever reason, I think the curly headers are cool looking. I had purchased a Lextek exhaust first and when I saw the headers on it, I thought they looked boring. Lol

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

After a quick air pressure check to prepare for tomorrow morning’s ride, I broke out the family scrapbook and told my FJ09 the story of some of his ancestors...  :D 

Is it really possible that the original FJ is now 35 years old?  I have fond memories of my old FJ1100, and feel like the 09 has been a worthy modern successor...  

1B1D98FF-1775-444B-8907-202708829576.thumb.jpeg.f47b2ef8fc76698845837620c88e4ee5.jpeg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Haha 1

Made a comfortable center stand pull out of 3/4" ID heater hose on the left passenger foot peg boss.  I removed the bracket (boss) used a 4" die grinder to smooth out the inside only of the upper radius of the bend, cleaned the edges with a file, then  cut the hose to  length, cut it down the middle and used electrical tape to secure it in place. Just a prototype for now.  But sooo much more comfortable on your hand when you lift the bike onto the center stand.

IMG_5179.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

Edited by 2linby

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Looks neat and clearly works, 2linby!   My solution only suits bikes with the OE pannier carrier, a very chunky structure specifically designed to cut into tender palms and fingers!   With this installed, my solution was to cut a length of clear poly tube lengthwise, and slip it onto the underside of the pannier mount, secure with electrical tape, et violin.   Not especially neat, but does the job much more comfortably.

P1050310.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Well, started my day by clipping a deer about 3/4 of a mile from my house on my way to work.  I looked down at the bars to turn on my fog lights and when I looked up, all I saw was a brown flash from the left.  Don't think I even grabbed the brakes (I usually cover the front lever with 2 fingers). I think I just got her hind quarters.

I didn't go down, just rolled down the road a couple hundred yards and stopped at a drive.  Got off and gave bike a quick visual, noted a nasty crack in the front fender, but everything else seemed ok.

Rode back to the house, snapped a couple pics.  Took off my gear and, after informing the wife, jumped in the car to go to work.

Will give "Thorn" a good exam when I get home tonight, but everything felt OK on the short ride home.

Damn deer....

20190422_064006.jpg

20190422_063938.jpg

• Sad 1