What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Attended a memorial ride for 7 riders killed in NH last week after a pickup truck crossed the centerline and plowed into their group.

About 3000 bikes participated in the ride and there  was a good mix of brands and styles of machines.

The weather was very hot in the 90s deg F and sun unrelenting. But the caravan of bikes took 45 minutes to pass by nevertheless.

Fitting tribute to the victims who through no fault of their own were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Driver of the truck had a history of alcohol and drug abuse and should have had his license pulled months before.

You just never know who's behind the wheel of that approaching vehicle. Stay alert out there!!

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

I took a good ride on mine on the 4th and then promptly jumped on a plane for SoCal. I’ll be without her for a week + while play around in a rental car out here in SoCal....😪

• Supporting Member

After my 2nd road trip this year, it was time for new chain and sprockets.  I also flushed the coolant and changed the oil and filter.  New tires were installed 4 weeks ago so I'm good through the end of August at which time it will be due for another oil change and fresh tires for a 10-day 3,800 mile trip through Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, betoney said:

After my 2nd road trip this year... blah, blah, blah  ...for a 10-day 3,800 mile trip through Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho. 

Seriously dude?  You need to stop having so much fun...  it’s making the rest of us look bad.

:D  

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Seriously dude?  You need to stop having so much fun...  it’s making the rest of us look bad.

I actually had to cancel a 3 day ride on the North Cascades Highway this coming week, I hurt my arm at work and am on short term disability/ physical therapy for 2 weeks...  ☹️

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Scott, in all seriousness, we can have some miserable weather here at time so when it gets nice its "game on" until about Mid- October.  I like to get in as many longer trips as I can May through September, when the weather gets not so nice, I can do a day ride or over nighter.

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I checked my valve clearance today at 41900 kms (26K miles). Every exhaust valve is too tight. Should be between 0.0102" - 0.0118". All intake valves were in spec.

#1 Intake: L 0.007" R 0.007" Exhaust: L 0.007" R 0.009"

#2 Intake: L 0.006" R 0.006" Exhaust: L 0.005" R 0.007"

#3 Intake: L 0.006" R 0.005" Exhaust: L 0.005" R 0.005"

Also i was surprised to find Yamaha wasnt using iridium spark plugs from factory... even my bargain bin 650r Ninja came with iridium plugs stock.

Now i need to take the camshafts off and reshim. Not sure where to buy shims at?? The dealer? 

IMG_20190707_162608_584.jpg

19 minutes ago, Dark&Stormy said:

I checked my valve clearance today at 41900 kms (26K miles). Every exhaust valve is too tight. Should be between 0.0102" - 0.0118". All intake valves were in spec.

#1 Intake: L 0.007" R 0.007" Exhaust: L 0.007" R 0.009"

#2 Intake: L 0.006" R 0.006" Exhaust: L 0.005" R 0.007"

#3 Intake: L 0.006" R 0.005" Exhaust: L 0.005" R 0.005"

Also i was surprised to find Yamaha wasnt using iridium spark plugs from factory... even my bargain bin 650r Ninja came with iridium plugs stock.

Now i need to take the camshafts off and reshim. Not sure where to buy shims at?? The dealer? 

IMG_20190707_162608_584.jpg

Yes the dealer can order them, or some shops will sell them to you out of their shop supplies or whatever. You’ll need to know what sizes you need of course. You can also order a kit for yourself, or swap with a buddy. Lots of options. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I actually had to cancel a 3 day ride on the North Cascades Highway this coming week, I hurt my arm at work and am on short term disability/ physical therapy for 2 weeks...  ☹️

Wow - tough luck, that!   Get better soon, betoney.  ☹️

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Wow - tough luck, that!   Get better soon, betoney.  ☹️

Thanks for the well-wishes.  Its funny, since I was a kid busting myself up on dirt bikes, my motivation for healing has always been the thought of getting back in the saddle.   I've got more rides planned this Summer. 😎

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Finished installing McCruise cruise control on my '15. Been looking forward to this pretty much since I bought the bike. Fairly easy install, and the provided instructions are very clear, so no need for a how-to.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
42 minutes ago, dingophil said:

Finished installing McCruise cruise control on my '15. Been looking forward to this pretty much since I bought the bike. Fairly easy install, and the provided instructions are very clear, so no need for a how-to.

You're going to LOVE it!  I use mine almost every time I ride my bike.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Installed the  Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn on my 2015 FJ09. Can't believe I waited so long. $30 @Revzilla, and took all of 5 minutes to install. Much deeper and louder sound, and it was a direct replacement for the puny stock horn. I did add some electrical tape to cover the leads, but it was super easy, and now sounds great!

• Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member

Hit 136 MPH on the seedo with absolutely no head-shake except for my hands. Dam that’s fast. I can see where the 320mm rotors would come into play here. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member

Just dropped $1200 on a Dianese Racing 3 D-Air jacket. Could not justify spending $600 on my helmet while not equally complementing with the latest state of the art protection which covers an many other vital organs. Even the deductible on my insurance warrants the extra 500-600 of protection over what I wear today.  Give a review after I get it Wednesday. 

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion.