What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Got tired of getting on and off my bike several times a day to open and close garage door, so I purchased a Chamberlain mini remote, some industrial strength velcro, and a lanyard, which is clipped on to ignition key ring. Lanyard is multi purpose. It should prevent a fiasko in the event that the remote comes loose while riding and in case I forget to remove it, or the key, while parked anywhere other than my garage. I may very well install a button and wire to a garage remote under seat over the winter, but wanted to do something, even if only temporary.

Also added a couple of simple Yamaha decals. Removed the original ones, not because I didn't like them, but rather because I like plain, simple look and wanted to see what bike looked like without them, fully prepared to replace with OEM decals, which I might also do eventually. Original decals were off for a few weeks but I wanted to see what the ones I added today look like. If I collect a dollar every time someone asks me "is that a Tracer?" (it is a '17 FJ-09), I will have money for replacement OEM decals in no time!..... and yes I was getting that question regularly even when original decals were still on.

Edit: Apologize for picture quality. I see now after posting that I got carried away with compressing.

20190729_201301_compress77.jpg

20190729_201221_compress45.jpg

20190729_201234_compress25.jpg

Edited by fj09viking
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Need more data.   ECU updates? 

I was commenting on koth's new 'tard... LOL

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, fj09viking said:

Got tired of getting on and off my bike several times a day to open and close garage door, so I purchased a Chamberlain mini remote, some industrial strength velcro, and a lanyard, which is clipped on to ignition key ring. Lanyard is multi purpose. It should prevent a fiasko in the event that the remote comes loose while riding and in case I forget to remove it, or the key, while parked anywhere other than my garage. I may very well install a button and wire to a garage remote under seat over the winter, but wanted to do something, even if only temporary.

Also added a couple of simple Yamaha decals. Removed the original ones, not because I didn't like them, but rather because I like plain, simple look and wanted to see what bike looked like without them, fully prepared to replace with OEM decals, which I might also do eventually. Original decals were off for a few weeks but I wanted to see what the ones I added today look like. If I collect a dollar every time someone asks me "is that a Tracer?" (it is a '17 FJ-09), I will have money for replacement OEM decals in no time!..... and yes I was getting that question regularly even when original decals were still on.

Edit: Apologize for picture quality. I see now after posting that I got carried away with compressing.

Here’s mine. A flat piece of plastic zip tied to the guard. Some heavy duty Velcro and a piece of bicycle inner tube. It’s been there for about 3 years. Occasionally I have to cut and use a new piece of tube. It’s been through more rain storms and washings than I can remember. 

FB3DE178-1DC8-4171-91B4-E1861FEC6784.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4

Let’s go Brandon

Thanks micah2074. Your setup did grab my attention when I was going through the earlier parts of this thread. I do not have the handguards on at the moment, so unless I install them again It is not an option needless to say. The lanyard is probably not necessary as I was doing high speeds over rough pavement this morning and the remote did not budge, but will leave it while I gain confidence in the velcro. When looking at the bike as a whole the lanyard does not stick out like the sore thumb it appears to be in the picture I posted, being blue and all. It was a quick solution as I seen the $1.49 lanyard when standing in line to pay for the velcro. I could make it cleaner by securing to the bar instead. All that said, when it gets cold and guards go on I will do something  along the lines of what you did.

Edited by fj09viking
Spelling

13 hours ago, fj09viking said:

What size Shinko is on the rear? Can't find OEM size on the web.

41 minutes ago, rodb47 said:

What size Shinko is on the rear? Can't find OEM size on the web.

It is a 170/60R17 and fits perfectly. Speedometer will under-read by 1-2%.

Edited by fj09viking
Added content.
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Rode 203 miles Saturday down through the Finger Lakes.  Today it's raining.  boo.  D-Air jacket is breaking in nicely.  It was 95deg f when I rode Saturday and I will say the jacket breathes like a regulator on a SCUBA tank. as much or as little as you want, all controlled by how fast you are moving.  Sitting at the gas station waiting for all the Harley's to gas up (lol) I got hot, really hot.  However those around me wearing t-shirts were not too.

Riding Gear.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

On 7/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, koth442 said:

Fixed.

In other news... The FJ has a new garage mate!

Pgsccmv.jpg

17e2pUA.jpg

Is that a 450 or 550? I searched cycle trader several times a couple weeks ago and couldn't find one for sale. That should be a blast to ride.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bamarider said:

Is that a 450 or 550? I searched cycle trader several times a couple weeks ago and couldn't find one for sale. That should be a blast to ride.

It's a 550. I accidentally found one for the right price on Facebook. Only about two hours away too!

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

25 minutes ago, bigorangecntry07 said:

What tires are you running there?

They are Shinko 705's. 

Don't like to go off topic, but since I did not post when I installed them a few weeks ago I will add some general comments.

First set and very happy after approximately 2,500 miles. An acquaintance and avid adventure bike rider for many years recommended them. That and this review with tires on an FZ-07:

He has tried every dual sport tire under the sun and kept going back to these.  Have a lot of gravel fire and lumber roads in the mountains around here, hence my choice. No vibration (except below 10mph but who cares) and great traction on all surfaces, wet or dry ( haven't been in mud yet). Tracks well in loose gravel. Needed a little more effort in cornering than stock, and to be expected. After raising forks (for more than one reason) cornering takes less effort that stock tires did with factory fork height. An added and unexpected bonus is that tires are not fazed at all by ruts, sealed cracks in pavement etc that tended to push stock tires around at low and high speeds. For $200-220 for the set it is hard to argue. I looks like I will get at least 6,000 miles from rear tire.

• Thumbsup 5