What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
On 9/21/2019 at 5:17 PM, fr8dog said:

Dave Moss was at Cycle Gear in Sacramento last Saturday. Had him tune my suspension. I have a Nitron shock and stock forks. The shock was set up pretty close. He adjusted the rebound. Front end needs help. He adjusted preload and rebound. Said take it for a ride and come back. 

Came back and he made a few adjustments. Went for a ride and came back. Had him adjust back to the first settings he did. Well worth $40.00.

So now I'm ready to do something with the front end. Not sure which way to go. Looking for a little more forgiveness on surface streets with same handling I have now on the twisties.

Oh, and he said he rides a Tracer!!

I think I've heard him say he has an MT-10 in one of his youtube videos.

Do you recall what kind of measurements he used to tune the tracer900? e.g. rear/front sag

• Premium Member

@ 20,500 miles, valves, throttle body sync, air filter, plugs, oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid, repack head, check chain and sprockets since the chain loosened up quickly in 100s miles.

They recommended not doing brake lines (book says replace every 4 years) or suspension for now. Chain and sprockets good (chain replaced @ 11000 miles because of 2 tight spots)

Valves tight. Everything else good was the summary report from the shop. Grease in head thin but no wear on bearings. I'll pick it up tomorrow

Combination of 24k/26k mile and 2 year services

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Added some gas cap bling. No more key. Yeah. However pretty sure I had vacuum issues initially as the first 2 quick trips the bike did not want to start properly. Nerve ever had that happen. Took cap off and back on and all good. 

15B77930-91C1-49CA-8731-48CF2CD08FC9.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

On 6/17/2019 at 7:49 PM, chitown said:

Just noticed this. Interesting. From where I've seen many installing accessories this may be an area to monitor. My screen is large (Puig) but not very rigid. Was actually a bit relieved to see it flex at higher speeds given how Yamaha put the front end together. 

Holy cow! I just had the Vstream Touring installed as well. And I use it with a vario screen on top. All-in-all it is still a bit shorter than the Puig screen, but nevertheless, should I be worried? Anyone else encountered this problem?

Does anyone know the size of the Yamaha Touring screen for the Tracer? I would like to know how this compares to the Vstream / Puig sizes.

Edited by Michiel900GT

• Premium Member
On 10/5/2019 at 5:47 PM, coachluciano said:

Added some gas cap bling. No more key. Yeah. However pretty sure I had vacuum issues initially as the first 2 quick trips the bike did not want to start properly. Nerve ever had that happen. Took cap off and back on and all good. 

Did the same mod today .

I got the cheaper chinese version (20$) which had no gasket, had to create one myself or suffer the opposite of a vacuum problem :) really looking forward to not fiddling with the key on refuels. 

63314451_2019-10-0721_18_26.thumb.png.f8437a1a85f9e0d7c821677590ce0071.png

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/17/2019 at 8:55 PM, motopumps said:

I reversed the top bar clamps so I could get my damn hand in there to insert, turn, remove the key.

IMG_8407-X2.jpg

Much better!

Rob

An old posting, but very useful. Why didn't I think of this? Especially with the Yamaha GPS stand mounted on the clamps it is almost impossible to reach the key. This solution is simple but effective.

• Thumbsup 1

Very interesting, this!   What effect does the 'bar reversal have on reach, etc?   I'd like to try this as I note a long-standing shoulder injury (bursitis) creeping back, and I'm ready to blame the fact that 'bar width on the GT is appreciably less than Gen1 Tracers - by about 5" IIRC - and I did like to stance to the 'bars then, very reminiscent of that on my late GS.   If trying this, would my back be more or less upright?   I'll appreciate input from those who have gone before...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Very interesting, this!   What effect does the 'bar reversal have on reach, etc?   I'd like to try this as I note a long-standing shoulder injury (bursitis) creeping back, and I'm ready to blame the fact that 'bar width on the GT is appreciably less than Gen1 Tracers - by about 5" IIRC - and I did like to stance to the 'bars then, very reminiscent of that on my late GS.   If trying this, would my back be more or less upright?   I'll appreciate input from those who have gone before...

Zero effect on the position of the bars since this just rotates the top clamp 180 degrees.  

Coincidentally, I have finished design work on a bar riser for the FJ-09 / Tracer GT that I am producing here in Upstate NY.  When anodized, it will be a good match for the stock bar clamps.  Will post some pix when they are back from the anodizer.

Raw final prototype here:

IMG_1315-X2.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
On 10/5/2019 at 4:47 PM, coachluciano said:

Damn you!   I should know by now that Spare Time + Forum Access + PayPal Credit Balance = More FJ Stuff I Didn’t Know I Needed   :D  

Let me know if you sort out the starting issue.   That’s a sexy piece, but a deal-breaker if it impacts how the bike runs...  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Damn you!   I should know by now that Spare Time + Forum Access + PayPal Credit Balance = More FJ Stuff I Didn’t Know I Needed   :D  

Let me know if you sort out the starting issue.   That’s a sexy piece, but a deal-breaker if it impacts how the bike runs...  

Pretty sure no more vac issues.  Still driving around with an allen wrench and my original cap - lol.  I believe I did not have a good seal on the rubber gasket on the cap itself.  Have had 2 rides since and no issue.  Can't wait to get the Road Pilot 5's mounted Friday :)  - You cracked me up with you comment about driving like I do on the original Dunlops.   Stupid is as Stupid does.  And that's me

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

5 hours ago, motopumps said:

Zero effect on the position of the bars since this just rotates the top clamp 180 degrees.  

Coincidentally, I have finished design work on a bar riser for the FJ-09 / Tracer GT that I am producing here in Upstate NY.  When anodized, it will be a good match for the stock bar clamps.  Will post some pix when they are back from the anodizer.

Raw final prototype here:

IMG_1315-X2.jpg

As I suffer from OCD (😉) I had to ask the local dealer if the reversal of the risers would be possible. According to his response by email, this is not allowed/adviced. I have yet to ask him why, but I will hold back on the reversal.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Michiel900GT said:

As I suffer from OCD (😉) I had to ask the local dealer if the reversal of the risers would be possible. According to his response by email, this is not allowed/adviced. I have yet to ask him why, but I will hold back on the reversal.

You can rotate the riser portion and change the distance to the rider, you can also change the top clamp with zero affect to anything other than moving the projection out of the way.  

Perhaps your dealer is misunderstanding your question...

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, motopumps said:

Where is NY are you located

21 minutes ago, motopumps said:

You can rotate the riser portion and change the distance to the rider, you can also change the top clamp with zero affect to anything other than moving the projection out of the way.  

Perhaps your dealer is misunderstanding your question...

Maybe. I did sent him 3 photos to show him what I meant and highlighted the top clamp though. He specifically mentioned not to reverse those. 

I'm curious what reason I'm overlooking not to reverse them. I'll ask tomorrow.