What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

2 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I have the 705s on my KLR and i'm very happy with them. But the KLR is horsepower challenged, Hope they don't vaporize on the back of your FJ09.

I don't drive her hard or have curvy roads near me. If they don't last or work well on the road I'll probably go to the Michelin Road 5.

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/8/2019 at 6:36 PM, motopumps said:

You can rotate the riser portion and change the distance to the rider, you can also change the top clamp with zero affect to anything other than moving the projection out of the way.  

Perhaps your dealer is misunderstanding your question...

So today I visited the dealer. He insisted I should not reverse the clamp. He showed me how all bikes have the clamps mounted the same way. He said it has to do with the way the clamps and the risers are made. And Yamaha specifically states the way the clamp should be mounted.

Tbh, I don't see any difference, but I'll just leave them the way they are. I just moved the original Yamaha GPS stand to the position it should be in (on the lower bolts of the clamps).

Maybe a dumb question: to mount the GPS stand in the right way, I had to loosen the clamps. And with that, the steering bar moved a bit down. Is there any way or any indicator you can use to put the bar in the original position? Or is it just something you have to do using your eyes?

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, Michiel900GT said:

Maybe a dumb question: to mount the GPS stand in the right way, I had to loosen the clamps. And with that, the steering bar moved a bit down. Is there any way or any indicator you can use to put the bar in the original position? Or is it just something you have to do using your eyes?

There is no "correct position" for handlebars or your levers or the shift lever and rear brake pedal.  They they are adjustable so you can set them to YOUR preferred position.  

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

First commute Shinko 705 tire review. I'm not a tire expert so take this for what it's worth.  I commute 90 miles one way. The first mile and a half is on sand and gravel road.

Drove across some wet grass in my driveway first. Not so great traction, but it's grass. Tires feel great on the sand and gravel. Sand is hard packed since it rained yesterday. This is why I bought them and they work as advertised. I have no plans to offroad the FJ. The rest of my commute was 2 to 4 lane roads and about 10 miles of freeway. The tires are fine on asphalt. Hit speeds over 70 with no issues. Slight hum from the treads but nothing annoying. The few curves I had were no issues grip wise. The bike actually wants to turn in easier probably because the back is a 170, not 180. Just a guess. Feels more flickable. Hard breaking feels normal. You can feel the front treads when you are slowing to a stop but no other time. There feels like a little more vibration in the handle bars but it seemed to get better during the ride. Used the word feels a lot, lol. I feel like I got more than my money's worth. Great tires. I'll update if there are any issues.

20191010_125049.jpg

Edited by rodb47
Pic needed edit
  • Thumbsup 3

13 minutes ago, betoney said:

There is no "correct position" for handlebars or your levers or the shift lever and rear brake pedal.  They they are adjustable so you can set them to YOUR preferred position.  

I put a mark on the riser and bars with a sharpie to realign after maintenance. 

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, betoney said:

True.  But, there is a small dot cast into the stock handlebar on the left riser side, @Michiel900GT.  The original handlebar orientation is with that dot aligned to the mating surface of the handlebar clamps.   Note:  This applies to the original FJ models, so I assume (but cannot verify) it also is correct for the GT.

399D2BD9-4C58-49B2-85F9-6D6E3E9722A7.thumb.jpeg.3937e57be501183f312a5fa0fc3ba68e.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Michiel900GT said:

Thanks! So I guess my bar should be moved slightly to the right and a bit upwards to get it in the original position.

20191010_190449.jpg

To get it back to the original position, yes.  But I would absolutely play around with different locations of both the handlebar and the controls to find the setup that works best for you.   I prefer having the levers down a few degrees from stock... your mileage may vary. 

Just for reference, here’s what the service manual shows as a baseline: 

84DB8623-8B1E-409A-8684-B85F9E3BAEA6.thumb.jpeg.1e1dc95f7c440652cc4f92cb34264e2b.jpeg

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Just for reference, here’s what the service manual shows as a baseline: 

84DB8623-8B1E-409A-8684-B85F9E3BAEA6.thumb.jpeg.1e1dc95f7c440652cc4f92cb34264e2b.jpeg

Unbelievable that Yamaha puts stuff like this in the manual, some who don't know any better might actually take this as gospel and think there is only one "correct" position for the handlebar.

Its almost as bad as their recommended shift points... "but the manual says..."

image.png.bed35587e11ca1f2c48aa40ed1e1cf10.png

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Damn, I feel like I accidentally started another oil or tire pressure thread...  :) 

I was just trying to offer a quick answer to the ‘is there a way to get back to original position’ question.  But original and correct aren’t the same thing, and I’m 100% in favor of adjusting the ergonomics to suit your individual preferences.  There’s a lot of inherent adjustability in the FJ platform, so it only makes sense to take advantage of the options.  

Those shift points, though...  😲

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
On 10/9/2019 at 5:13 PM, wordsmith said:

The new tyre looks like the Michelin Road 5 - is it, and if so any comments please?

I've got a set of them on my '15, about ~1000 miles so far. Great tyres. Excellent grip, wet or dry, cold or hot. No complaints here. Admittedly I am and have been a bit of a Michelin fan for many years, but maybe that's just because they make great motorbike tyres? :)

• Thumbsup 3
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, rodb47 said:

...Tires feel great on the sand and gravel. Sand is hard packed since it rained yesterday. This is why I bought them and they work as advertised. I have no plans to offroad the FJ. The rest of my commute was 2 to 4 lane roads and about 10 miles of freeway. The tires are fine on asphalt. Hit speeds over 70 with no issues. Slight hum from the treads but nothing annoying...

Thanks. Planning something different for next season, and will be looking for a tire that can do a bit of dirt/gravel and not be too bad on pavement. Interested in how it does over some distance for you. You're in Florida... so we should know just in time for spring. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

6 hours ago, motopumps said:

No, you should put them in a position that is comfortable for you, as the dot is just a reference point, not the only position for the bars.  ...and consider finding a less pedantic dealer.

Rob

True, if my goal would be to find a more comfortable riding position. But I was happy with ergonomics of the original (factory) position of the bar. Hence the question if there is a reference point to get the bar in the original position. Otherwise I would have to do a lot of trial and error to find the right position for me again.

5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Damn, I feel like I accidentally started another oil or tire pressure thread...  :) 

I was just trying to offer a quick answer to the ‘is there a way to get back to original position’ question.  But original and correct aren’t the same thing, and I’m 100% in favor of adjusting the ergonomics to suit your individual preferences.  There’s a lot of inherent adjustability in the FJ platform, so it only makes sense to take advantage of the options.  

Those shift points, though...  😲

Well, as far as I’m concerned I’m very happy with your answer to my original question. It really helped my out!

• Thumbsup 1