What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

On 10/11/2019 at 12:25 AM, betoney said:

Unbelievable that Yamaha puts stuff like this in the manual, some who don't know any better might actually take this as gospel and think there is only one "correct" position for the handlebar.

Its almost as bad as their recommended shift points... "but the manual says..."

image.png.bed35587e11ca1f2c48aa40ed1e1cf10.png

Yamaha goes even a step further. In the manual they state that there are (only)  2 positions for the handlebar and that you should have your dealer adjust it if desired. 

About the dot marking and the original position: I think it is good that they have a reference point for the original position. I’m pretty sure there are more parts on the bike that have a “factory setting” reference. Some might be useful and or necessary, some might be neglected.

But I think Yamaha wants to prevent a situation where a 100 bikes have a 100 different settings at the moment the bike are delivered to the customers. They have designed a bike with certain settings so that it suits its general purpose and safety. Designing a well balanced bike is quit a scientific process and Yamaha probably wants to make sure that all dealers deliver the bike as Yamaha intended. And I’m also pretty sure that Yamaha has a legal department that has a big say in this...

That being said, of course there is plenty of room to fiddle around with some of the settings to get the best set-up for a specific driver. And the bars are a very good example. 

And as far as the shift points recommendation: I think that has to do with getting specific environmental certifications. The recommendation for the shift points are the points they used to get the lowest emissions rate during the official test (in Europe we have the Euro rating). So from a certification and regulation perspective they have to state those shift points, otherwise the bike is officially not compliant with the certification (no discussion about the usefulness of tests needed here....) Of course nobody will actually use these recommendations unless you want to drive like a 90 year old grandma and get your engine clogged with exhaust emissions.

Edited by Michiel900GT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 10/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, coachluciano said:

Soooo, been riding my 2015 (new last fall) on the original tires 7800 miles.  I'm curious the improvement when I get these mounted Friday :).  I educated myself over the weekend on all things motorcycle tires and believe I'm Lucky (which is my nickname) to be alive riding the way i have been on that rear tire.  Noticed some interesting wear a few weeks ago that got me thinking.  I was hoping to make till the snow before the purchase.  Glad I didn't.  Thanks Scott for always pointing me in the right direction.

Tires.jpg

Ok, I'm ready to drop the money on the PR5's after my fairly short love affair with a set of Bridgestone S21's.  Looking around I see thevisorshop.com has the best prices so far but I've never heard of them before.  I've always used Rocky Mtn ATV previously because they seem to consistently have the best prices.  Has anyone bought from The Visor Shop before?

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Nevermind.  I went through like I was going to purchase them and they must be an overseas site that looks like an American one.  There's a $92 shipping fee to the US......

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 3sum said:

Ok, I'm ready to drop the money on the PR5's after my fairly short love affair with a set of Bridgestone S21's.  Looking around I see thevisorshop.com has the best prices so far but I've never heard of them before.  I've always used Rocky Mtn ATV previously because they seem to consistently have the best prices.  Has anyone bought from The Visor Shop before?

I’ve always heard great things about Rocky Mountain ATV, although I haven’t purchased from them personally.   A quick check shows about $365 for a pair of PR5s delivered to my door in Houston, which seems about right.   I paid $407 out the door for my last pair mounted & balanced at my favorite local shop I like to support.  

I think you’ll really like the Michelins, by the way.  I’ve run PR4s and now PR5s on my 2015 FJ, and been very pleased with the performance & wear ratio.  

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I’ve always heard great things about Rocky Mountain ATV, although I haven’t purchased from them personally.   A quick check shows about $365 for a pair of PR5s delivered to my door in Houston, which seems about right.   I paid $407 out the door for my last pair mounted & balanced at my favorite local shop I like to support.

I have been using Rocky Mountain ATV for over 15 years and cant praise them enough for their customer support, prices, return policy, price matching and selection. 

They are always my first choice when shopping for parts - especially tires and oem parts.  If Rocky Mountain ATV doesn't have the parts in stock then my 2nd choice is Revzilla but they are usually a little bit more expensive.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I've done my morning research and like usual, RMATV had the best price.  I've bought quite a few sets from them. I almost accidentally bought two sets with my internet being wonky this morning.

@texscottyd I've run many sets of PR2's in the past and loved them.  Then the Angel GT's came out and I loved those on my Triumphs since Pirelli came out with them.  I've heard quite a bit of good about the PR5's on the Tracer so I think they'll be good for my aggressive riding style.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Add the mother of all chain adjusters. Wow. That’s all I can say. Pricy, but takes “all” the guess work out of rear wheel alignment and has precise click adjustments. Selling my Gilles Tooling adjusters to anyone on the forum (US only please) for $50 plus shipping. Just PM me and we can go from there. They are mint and work great. Way way better than the stock crap Yamaha provides. 

62DBE93C-B5A0-4FE0-95BC-70287B389336.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

2 hours ago, coachluciano said:

Add the mother of all chain adjusters. Wow. That’s all I can say. Pricy, but takes “all” the guess work out of rear wheel alignment and has precise click adjustments. Selling my Gilles Tooling adjusters to anyone on the forum (US only please) for $50 plus shipping. Just PM me and we can go from there. They are mint and work great. Way way better than the stock crap Yamaha provides. 

Nice... I have the Gilles adjuster and it is very high quality. What caused you to make the change?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Michiel900GT said:

I am a bit confused. Is the one on the photo from Gilles?

No those are the new LighTechs. Gilles are noted below

F04E4EFE-3CCE-4F49-B00D-8971860FCB68.jpeg

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

Nice... I have the Gilles adjuster and it is very high quality. What caused you to make the change?

Like the design and the ability to align the rear straight to the mm. They have click adjustment that is spot on when setting left to right. Had the laser on the chain and one click on the right adjuster, you can see the slightest slew of the chain. Gilles were awesome, but I’m too particular on certain things and getting out the calipers our every time the rear goes back on bugged me. I like to ride fast and don’t want to wonder if my rear is precision aligned. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, coachluciano said:

Like the design and the ability to align the rear straight to the mm. They have click adjustment that is spot on when setting left to right...

I would think that the screw type adjusters (like Gilles) are more accurate (infinite resolution), but take a bit more fussing to set. LighTechs look nice.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, coachluciano said:

Selling my Gilles Tooling adjusters to anyone on the forum (US only please) for $50 plus shipping. Just PM me and we can go from there. They are mint and work great.

There’s a deal for the right person. I have the same Gilles Tooling chain adjusters on my FJ, and really like them.   Beautifully made, and functionally superior to the stock set up.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, coachluciano said:

So, tell me about the new French biscuits... :)

You’ve got the suspension to really use/need good tires, so I’m glad you replaced the OEM D222 rim protectors.   

• Like 1