What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Placed my suspension order with Stoltec Moto... I got new springs (.85kg), 20mm fork cartridge kit and a Penske double clicker rear shock(550# spring) for a rider suited up at 175# and intermediate track lvl riding(no 2up, no cargo boxes for luggage- I use a backpack to hold a few drinks) 

Winter is here very early... Got 2inches of snow for Holloween 🤪

For almost 4yrs, I have been itching for suspension upgrades but we know life loves tossing out speed bumps/lane changes 🙄 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Placed my suspension order with Stoltec Moto... I got new springs (.85kg), 20mm fork cartridge kit and a Penske double clicker rear shock(550# spring) for a rider suited up at 175# and intermediate track lvl riding

Glad to hear that you are finally able to get the suspension upgraded.  👍

I have a buddy who also has an FJ that went the Stoltec route for his suspension, exact same parts.  On a few different road trips this summer we swapped bikes and spent time riding mountain passes and canyons tweaking his settings, his bike feels great now.  The ONLY thing missing from the Stoltec fork cartridge is compression damping adjustment but I'm sure that can be tweaked and fine tuned with different oil viscosities.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

48 minutes ago, betoney said:

Glad to hear that you are finally able to get the suspension upgraded.  👍

I have a buddy who also has an FJ that went the Stoltec route for his suspension, exact same parts.  On a few different road trips this summer we swapped bikes and spent time riding mountain passes and canyons tweaking his settings, his bike feels great now.  The ONLY thing missing from the Stoltec fork cartridge is compression damping adjustment but I'm sure that can be tweaked and fine tuned with different oil viscosities.

Good to hear... I know it don't have compression damping screw but I just wanna settle the rear end down, the rear suspension behavior is my main concern... Putting new springs, oil and shim stack in the forks will be a night/day difference over OEM currently for me... 

Edited by norcal616

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Good to hear... I know it don't have compression damping but I just wanna settle the rear end down, the rear suspension behavior is my main concern... Putting new springs, oil and shim stack in the forks will be a night/day difference over OEM currently for me... 

Yes, I too feel that the shock is the weakest component, I also have a Penske 8983 double clicker (ordered through Traxxion Dynamics) and it is a PHENOMENAL upgrade.  You are going to LOVE it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Putting new springs, oil and shim stack in the forks will be a night/day difference over OEM currently for me...

Good call. I've gone the same route... and it now just works. As @betoney noted, you can absolutely fine tune the setup with oil viscosity and level combinations.. if you need. I also got my springs at Stoltec... great to deal with.

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

6 hours ago, piotrek said:

Good call. I've gone the same route... and it now just works. As @betoney noted, you can absolutely fine tune the setup with oil viscosity and level combinations.. if you need. I also got my springs at Stoltec... great to deal with.

I got everything from Stoltec... We emailed back/forth a few times then I pulled the trigger... I'm not worried about going nuts with fine tuning the fork oil lvls/wt.. I just need a rear shock that will behave, for me the stock OEM shock is a wet noodle... 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I did find these caliper spacers today when took I trip down the interwebs lanes... 

I wonder if these will work on our bikes, I know a few peeps are still looking to run a 320mm rotor...  

Just throwing this out there... Looks like if they do work, you would need to source some longer bolts since the spacers would be either 7 or 10mm longer IIRC (I got mine sitting on the shelf in the garage, I can measure em if needed)

Edited by norcal616

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I did find these caliper spacers today when took I trip down the interwebs lanes... 

I wonder if these will work on our bikes, I know a few peeps are still looking to run a 320mm rotor...  

Just throwing this out there... Looks like if they do work, you would need to source some longer bolts since the spacers would be either 7 or 10mm longer IIRC (I got mine sitting on the shelf in the garage, I can measure em if needed)

Increasing the rotor size by 22mm would require the caliper spaced out 11mm, looking at how the pads ride on the rotor you "might" get away with a 10mm spacer.  I don't know the exact length of the oem caliper bolt, (60-65mm?) just add 10mm.  I got all of my parts from the group buy that Matt Patton set up, he did all of the leg work, measuring and sourcing bolts etc.

1 minute ago, betoney said:

Increasing the rotor size by 22mm would require the caliper spaced out 11mm, looking at how the pads ride on the rotor you "might" get away with a 10mm spacer.  I don't know the exact length of the oem caliper bolt, (60-65mm?) just add 10mm.  I got all of my parts from the group buy that Matt Patton set up, he did all of the leg work, measuring and sourcing bolts etc.

I also got my spacers/bolts from Matt... I wasn't quite 100% sure if they would work... Thanks for also helping with the clarification of the spacers... 

Seems like we need a spacer puller to make em a bit longer 😆... Probably can't hurt to send an email to them if that person wants some I'm not knocking on Matt(I currently run a suspension set up from him on my FZ-07) but I get life takes priority over side projects/jobs... 

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I'm not knocking on Matt(I currently run a suspension set up from him on my FZ-07) but I get life takes priority over side projects/jobs... 

I have his forks as well (advanced option w/both legs activated with rebound and compression pistons) 

I REALLY wish he would just commit to forks full time because I would argue that for the money, you cant find better set up forks than what Matt offers.  His work is outstanding but his turnaround time is definitely not. ☹️

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@norcal616 - You are going to be so pleased with the suspension upgrades!  It really does transform the entire character of the bike, and I’m still convinced it’s the single best bang-for-the-buck investment you can make on the FJ/Tracer.   I went the Ohlins & RaceTech route, and I’m sure the Penske / Stoltec setup will be equally impressive.  

As @betoney said, you’re going to LOVE it! 

• Thumbsup 1

24 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

@norcal616 - You are going to be so pleased with the suspension upgrades!  It really does transform the entire character of the bike, and I’m still convinced it’s the single best bang-for-the-buck investment you can make on the FJ/Tracer.   I went the Ohlins & RaceTech route, and I’m sure the Penske / Stoltec setup will be equally impressive.  

As @betoney said, you’re going to LOVE it! 

I heard the same, seen all the postings...went back and forth on setups/cost for almost 4yrs... Now I just gotta wait till springtime to test it out after installing em over winter, unless I load the bike up in my lil truck and head south for a mini vacation ( I do get 5wks of vacy a year 🤔) ...

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Now I just gotta wait till springtime to test it out after installing em over winter, unless I load the bike up in my lil truck and head south for a mini vacation ( I do get 5wks of vacy a year 🤔) ...

Suspension testing and set-up sounds like the perfect excuse for a mini vacation! 😎

• Thumbsup 1

15 minutes ago, betoney said:

Suspension testing and set-up sounds like the perfect excuse for a mini vacation! 😎

I agree... I might have to travel to ABQ to visit my best friend or go back home to NorCal to visit family... If this super early cold weather keeps up to freeze the Great Lakes early, Michigan is in for a deep deep snowy cold spell 😖... 

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I agree... I might have to travel to ABQ to visit my best friend or go back home to NorCal to visit family... If this super early cold weather keeps up to freeze the Great Lakes early, Michigan is in for a deep deep snowy cold spell 😖... 

That sounds like a great idea, early season sub-freezing weather has hit here as well.  I have never been to New Mexico but Northern California has some ridiculously good riding, I try to get down there once or twice a year.  Gotta watch out for wildfires though... 😩