What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

4 minutes ago, nhchris said:

I Wish Wordy lived down the street from me.  I'm sure my FJ would not be as plain-Jane as it is now!

All it takes is a plane ticket, nh!!!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Funny you say that Wordy. ..

I asked daughter Molly and her boy friend (his dad rides a Triumph Sprint ST 1100) what their plans were for our upcoming Thanksgiving holiday weekend next week.  Assuming of course she'd want to spend it with her mother and dear old dad.

"Oh, we are flying to South Africa for Thanksgiving. Got a great airfare." 

WHAT???   Kids!

(In college she was concerned about her carbon footprint but once graduated and making good $$ she's over that worry.)

Edited by nhchris
  • Haha 3
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Funny you say that Wordy. ..

I asked daughter Molly and her boy friend (his dad rides a Triumph Sprint ST 1100) what their plans were for our upcoming Thanksgiving holiday weekend next week.  Assuming of course she'd want to sped it with her mother and dear old dad.

"Oh, we are flying to South Africa for Thanksgiving. Got a great airfare." 

WHAT???   Kids!

I know what you're saying @nhchris !  Back in the day we thought that going overseas was a trip to a local island a half mile off shore from home!  A real treat!

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

I'm gonna be a bloody know-all and chip in here, dazzler.   For those contemplating this easy-enough job, do not bother about cutting the ends of the tape to match and line-up at each end initially - it's too fiddly.   Instead, run the tape an inch or so over one end of the channel (it matters not which, front or back) and lightly stick it down.   Then finish the job of running the tape in and along the channel, again running the end of the tape past the other end and lightly sticking it down.   Then - once you have the tape in it's desired final position in the channel, use a very sharp blade (say a Stanley knife or scalpel) to cut the tape-ends at the desired angle, and apply a drop of go-faster nail varnish.   When cutting through the tape, apply some static downward pressure rather than moving the blade across the tape which might risk making a slight scratch in the paintwork, although this would be tiny and all but invisible unless you are really ham-fisted!    Stand back: admire: have a beer.

Sage advice as always wordy.  But at the risk of counter know-all-ing, I actually did it pretty much the way you described in that I ran the tape off the ends and used my micro mini scissors, that are part of my Leatherman tool, to cut the correct angles before removing the backing tape and then sticking down.  Same for where they met at the join.  Cut them both at the same time and you get a nice straight seemless join.

And yes I did stand back and had several beers.  The job I did improved with each empty beer bottle somehow? 😉

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, nhchris said:

I Wish Wordy lived down the street from me.  I'm sure my FJ would not be as plain-Jane as it is now!

Yes it certainly is a great machine.

Recieved my Gilles Ti rear axle nut... uses the same sized socket as OEM and gets torqued to OEM specs, then use a small hex key to engage the lil black thread locker...to remove just remember to disengage the lil black thread locker and then proceed to remove axle nut...20191121_194438.thumb.jpg.d253869ceec17ff22989d008abf2ce4a.jpg

20191121_194454.thumb.jpg.6b11c4f6ad6f8999e8302a4c0ad5012d.jpg

20191121_194621.thumb.jpg.64f5c57b6eb1d8670f5354eeaf313444.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

1 hour ago, nhchris said:

Nothing wrong with Plain Jane - or plain vanilla.   Very often less is more, MUCH more!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 minute ago, norcal616 said:

??? Balance???

looks like they drilled holes evenly around the other points to remove metal there to match the tapped hole,

and then plugged the one across from the one the Allen screw is in to balance the screw  ??  

least, that's what it looks like to me....

or maybe just lightening holes...maybe I'm mistaken.... ?

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, BugsInTeeth said:

looks like they drilled holes evenly around the other points to remove metal there to match the tapped hole,

and then plugged the one across from the one the Allen screw is in to balance the screw  ??  

Axle nuts don't spin, unless you are taking them off our putting them on. If they do you screwed up!

That nut is a eye candy though.

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

3 minutes ago, BugsInTeeth said:

Your way over thinking it I believe with the balancing weight wise... keeping the overall look balanced, yes I can see the symmetry...

the gilles logo is on one, the lock screw is opposite of the logo and as for the "holes" and they way they cut out material around the "socket points" , it just looks nice to me, looks like a factory race part, they put some effort into the part... did they need to make it the way they did? No, but don't forget it adds .05HP/TQ 😅

• Haha 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

LOLOL....yeah...on second-third look I'm believin' yer righty-o there mate.....

on another line...I should have the ECU bak tomorrow, Cannardly wait....get it bak together, and take it for a RIP !!!

uhhh gentle ride......

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson