What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Proper rear shock arrived šŸ„°...Ā 

20191127_225505.thumb.jpg.4a854f93d3c17aaf4e30bd6f9b505b7d.jpg

SWEET, your bike has something to be grateful for this Thanksgiving.Ā I guess the front end comes on ChristmasšŸ‘

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

4 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

SWEET, your bike has something to be grateful for this Thanksgiving.Ā I guess the front end comes on ChristmasšŸ‘

Ā front forksĀ is just waiting on some oil... went with the Stoltec DIY kit...Ā 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

8 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

I change bicycle tires in less than 5 minutes. *In theory* moto tires should be identical. Somehow I struggled repeatedly. When I found shops that can install tires for about $25 each, I was done and let them do it.Ā  Takes them 30 to 45 minutes and no scratches or scuffing.Ā 

I've never found a shop that'd do it for less than $60 per wheel if you bring your own tires in - they'll typically do it for $40/wheel if you buy the tires from them.Ā  It's kinda pricy, hence why I wanted to do it myself.

It's frustrating, though, because I've watched people do it lots of times and it's been pretty effortless for them.Ā  I'm a big guy, I've done hard physical labour my whole life and have no issue with "putting in elbow grease" - but damn.Ā  I struggled hard and just damaged stuff rather than actually accomplishing anything, despite liberal application of lube and rim shields.

I think it'd be a lot easier if I had my own stand, though, so I can have the tire elevated and manipulate it better without having to try to hold the wheel down at the same time I'm doing everything else.

9 hours ago, chitown said:

Tire changing is mostly technique so if one is fighting me I usually take a break before trying to muscle it. None of my rims are scratch free but they work and touch up paint is cheap :). No mention of heat so I'll mention that I preheat all my tires before mounting. Tires will sit in the sun before mounting and if there's no sun I'll lay a running heat gun or hair dryer in the tire for awhile.Ā 

Ā 

Hmm.Ā  Did not heat it at all, was just inside in my basement so at room temperature.Ā  Definitely no sun; it's -20 outside right now, so that wouldn't be very helpful :)Ā  Ā I'll definitely do that too next time around.

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Proper rear shock arrived šŸ„°...Ā 

20191127_225505.thumb.jpg.4a854f93d3c17aaf4e30bd6f9b505b7d.jpg

@norcal616Ā which specific model is that? And i didnā€™t notice if yours is and FJ or Teacer (if it matters for this). Ā I have a Tracer GT.Ā 

18 minutes ago, 3sum said:

@norcal616Ā which specific model is that? And i didnā€™t notice if yours is and FJ or Teacer (if it matters for this). Ā I have a TracerĀ 

https://stoltecmoto.com/shop/yamaha/fj-09/15-fj-09-penske-8983-double-clicker/

I have a 2015 FJ-09... takes about 1month for rear shock to be built... fork kit was shipped out next day IIRC...

Currently has a black Friday sale going- 10% off with free domestic shipping...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

got my Tail Tidy on yesterday...took 2 weeks to get here from Chinesia, but it was worth it....$32 Bux roughly

including shipping ($1.99 from China),Ā  and it looks purty dang good..... :

Ā 

DSC_1380.thumb.jpg.b661787250d8f61b3e5eaebb38fd277d.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

Had one of those for my MT; they're a pretty good buy at the ~$30.Ā  I considered getting another, but I suspect that the stock blinkers won't fit with my hardcases.Ā  If that's the case,Ā I'd need to swap them out with some flushmounts, but then I'd need to swap the blinker module to get back to a normal blink rate (and lose my running lights), so then I'd want to swap the front signals too.....Ā  Gah.Ā  I actually like the stock indicators, to be honest, and really don't want to change them.Ā Ā 

Got ready for the cold weather.Ā 

Installed the gears heated seat liner on top of my sargent seat and dual controler to control the seat and my gloves separately.Ā 

Had the perfect ride through the cold today.Ā 

I know the seat looks ugly with this on top of it but I am planning to use it with my new custom seat and I didn't want to mess up the sargent seat.

Anyways, I don't see it while riding , lol. šŸ˜œ

20191130_193417.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Heated gear is a huge deal when you're riding in the cold.Ā  People always comment things like "oh, that's way too cold for me" but the reality is I'm warmer than I would be in my car, and indeed warmer than I'd be on a 20c ride in the summer.Ā  Gotta be relaxed to ride well, and you've got to be warm to be relaxed.Ā Ā 

I'm planning on fiddling with my seat next year, and for sure it's getting a heating element too.Ā 

Ā 

Personally, removed the crash bar highway pegs I added. Couldn't get them right enough to feel safe, and I'm really paranoid about footpegs letting go/twisting when I'm using them. Was nice to have a forward spot for me feet on longer rides, but just couldn't relax with them.

Also did more winter tire testing on the way to work (detailed in that thread), and tightened up my fork preload as it was at nearly the softest setting.

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Heated gear is a huge deal when you're riding in the cold.Ā  People always comment things like "oh, that's way too cold for me" but the reality is I'm warmer than I would be in my car, and indeed warmer than I'd be on a 20c ride in the summer.Ā  Gotta be relaxed to ride well, and you've got to be warm to be relaxed.Ā Ā 

I'm planning on fiddling with my seat next year, and for sure it's getting a heating element too

I have never needed a heated seat, I have used my insulated riding pants down into the 20's(F) and never been cold below the abdomen.Ā  I agree on heated gear though, I have a vest and it is AWESOME.Ā  It has 5 heat settings and have never needed it higher than 1, it gets HOT.Ā  Very true, when you are warm you are relaxed, when freezing cold, I am tense with clenched muscles and shivering.

I have a buddy who also says "its too cold for me, I need to get heated gear" and for 3 years I have told him how much of a difference my heated grips and vest makes, yet he will never take the plunge. šŸ™„

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

I have never needed a heated seat, I have used my insulated riding pants down into the 20's(F) and never been cold below the abdomen.Ā  I agree on heated gear though, I have a vest and it is AWESOME.Ā  It has 5 heat settings and have never needed it higher than 1, it gets HOT.Ā  Very true, when you are warm you are relaxed, when freezing cold, I am tense with clenched muscles and shivering.

I have a buddy who also says "its too cold for me, I need to get heated gear" and for 3 years I have told him how much of a difference my heated grips and vest makes, yet he will never take the plunge. šŸ™„

For sure.Ā  A heated seat is wholly unnecessary, but I bet it feels awesome.Ā  I know I don't need heated seats in a car either, but I love them there too.Ā 

I have riding over pants that aren't actually insulated but have a waterproof liner.Ā  It goes on the outside, armoured mesh inside, normal jeans underneath. That's always enough for my lower body and in previous years I've actually just wore jeans, maybe with long johns in colder temps.Ā  These were more a step for safety than anything, but they do keep my legs a fair bit warmer for keeping the wind off.

Heated jackets or vests are key though, and not just in the winter.Ā  Going on a long trip through the mountains?Ā  Particularly in the edge seasons, mornings and evenings can be cold.Ā Ā 

I'd argue you only really need to heat your core and your hands.Ā  Everything else ends up fine except in extreme circumstances.Ā  But having that heat on your core is a *wonderful* thing.Ā Ā 

Also, the heated helmet is pure luxury... Well, and utility: breath freezing on the inside of your visor can be very problematic. But thats another extreme circumstance most don't need to deal with.

Ā 

Ā 

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

For sure.Ā  A heated seat is wholly unnecessary, but I bet it feels awesome.Ā  I know I don't need heated seats in a car either, but I love them there too.Ā 

I have riding over pants that aren't actually insulated but have a waterproof liner.Ā  It goes on the outside, armoured mesh inside, normal jeans underneath. That's always enough for my lower body and in previous years I've actually just wore jeans, maybe with long johns in colder temps.Ā  These were more a step for safety than anything, but they do keep my legs a fair bit warmer for keeping the wind off.

Heated jackets or vests are key though, and not just in the winter.Ā  Going on a long trip through the mountains?Ā  Particularly in the edge seasons, mornings and evenings can be cold.Ā Ā 

I'd argue you only really need to heat your core and your hands.Ā  Everything else ends up fine except in extreme circumstances.Ā  But having that heat on your core is a *wonderful* thing.Ā Ā 

Also, the heated helmet is pure luxury... Well, and utility: breath freezing on the inside of your visor can be very problematic. But thats another extreme circumstance most don't need to deal with.

Ā 

Ā 

I can confirm that the heated seat is unnecessary, but I wanted to letĀ you know that it makes a difference.Ā I have heated grips, and they are still not enough. My thumb gets too cold. Heated glovesĀ are really awesome.Ā I am using the new Alpinestars Andes 2Ā as my winterĀ ridingĀ jacketĀ and I didn't need to add a heated vest........yet :)

I am looking for a heated socks though. I feel the air flow is making my feet cold.Ā 

Ā I totally agree thatĀ when you use the heated gear, you are warm enough &Ā you feel better than even in your car.Ā It makes the difference in your reaction time and your riding in general.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Ahmed said:

I am looking for a heated socks though. I feel the air flow is making my feet cold.Ā 

Windproof, waterproof socks are awesome. I use these, but there are other brands that use the same tech. You may find you donā€™t need electric socks then.

Ā 

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

27 minutes ago, BBB said:

Windproof, waterproof socks are awesome. I use these, but there are other brands that use the same tech. You may find you donā€™t need electric socks then.

Ā 

You can get full on waterproof boot covers too, which largely achieve the same ends.Ā  Much like my pants, I find for much of your body just keeping the wind(and definitely water!) off is sufficient to keep you warm, so long as your body core is good.

Ā 

I'd love a pair of heated glove liners though - there's some that integrate with my heated jacket liner.Ā  As @AhmedĀ noted above, heated grips are great but you can have issues with thumbs and the topside of your hands in really cold weather.Ā Ā 

• Thumbsup 2