What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

When I installed the MC Cruise last week, I tripped the CEL. Yesterday my OBD reader and adapter arrived, so I checked the code and reset it. It was the throttle position sensor. The cruise has been disengaging after a few seconds, and I thought it might be because of the CEL, but testing it on the way to work this morning showed that it was not. The CC unit is throwing an error code indicating the ON/OFF control switch is what caused the cruise to disengage. I have run all the diagnostics, and everything checks out when testing, but on the road it just doesn't work. I am working with the gentlemen at MC Cruise in OZ to resolve it, and I'm glad they are so responsive and willing to make sure their customers are happy. But at the same time, it's a little frustrating. 

Otherwise I'm a happy camper with the Tracer. I love this engine!

• Sad 1

On 1/27/2020 at 7:45 AM, betoney said:

Yes, and it is relatively inexpensive.  You need a cradle for your specific model and a diamond ball base to attach to the swivel arm.

Note that cradles are not made for every GPS model and most models of the older Nuvi's have rounded corners and the newer Drive models have square corners.  I have several GPS units, Nuvi205, Nuvi 50, 2x Nuvi 55's and a newer Drive 51, I had to slightly modify the cradle with a Dremel tool when I bought the newer model to get it to fit.

Buy Ram Mount Model Specific Cradle for the Garmin nuvi 50 and 50LM:...

Thanks again. I just bought the exact GPS online for a great price. After searching for a while this seems like the easiest way. Does the back of your gps allow the Garmin Ball"?

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, gomer said:

Thanks again. I just bought the exact GPS online for a great price. After searching for a while this seems like the easiest way. Does the back of your gps allow the Garmin Ball"?

I used this diamond ball mount on the back of the cradle I linked previously.

Details and specifications of the RAM® Diamond Ball Base, Part No...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 1/19/2020 at 12:51 PM, angusmcoz said:

Yes, the mount is Givi from an unused tank bag but the case is an Apache 3800 from Harbor Freight. They seem to hold up well and the price is good.

Nice set up but does the Givi mount lock or you just insert a sleeveless Cleco type pin from the inside like with the SW-Mototech mounts?  Also, do you just use one padlock in one of the 2 reinforced holes, and does the lock bounce around?  Lastly, does your rack slide or can it be bolted farther back so the top case does not interfere with a pillion co-pilot?

6 hours ago, betoney said:

I used this diamond ball mount on the back of the cradle I linked previously.

Details and specifications of the RAM® Diamond Ball Base, Part No...

Me again, more questions than a five year old. Your setup seems more professional and solid. You mentioned you bought a Garmin Drive 51LM but the cradle is for a Garmin Nuvi 50. Just wanted to make sure on the cradle before I order. Thanks. 

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, gomer said:

Me again, more questions than a five year old. Your setup seems more professional and solid. You mentioned you bought a Garmin Drive 51LM but the cradle is for a Garmin Nuvi 50. Just wanted to make sure on the cradle before I order. Thanks. 

Correct.  I modified it with a Dremel tool to fit, the power buttons are in different locations, so I had to cut a hole to fit.  It is very stable and I have used the modified cradle for 2 seasons with zero issues.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Nice set up but does the Givi mount lock or you just insert a sleeveless Cleco type pin from the inside like with the SW-Mototech mounts?  Also, do you just use one padlock in one of the 2 reinforced holes, and does the lock bounce around?  Lastly, does your rack slide or can it be bolted farther back so the top case does not interfere with a pillion co-pilot?

To answer your questions, the mount does not lock. It is the same as the tank bag setup. I don't lock the box on the road and I'm rarely out of sight of the bike. If need be, I have a cable lock that will keep the case with the bike.  I'll only be using this for over flow clothing on the road, i.e. gloves, coat liner, etc. And lastly, the mount is fixed in that position as a do not carry a passenger on this bike and have also changed the bag mounts to remove the passenger foot pegs. I like to shift my feet to where I'm on the balls of my feet on the pegs and the factory bags mounts would not let me do this comfortably.

Edited by angusmcoz

4 hours ago, betoney said:

Correct.  I modified it with a Dremel tool to fit, the power buttons are in different locations, so I had to cut a hole to fit.  It is very stable and I have used the modified cradle for 2 seasons with zero issues.

Good to know, thanks.

2 hours ago, angusmcoz said:

and have also changed the bag mounts to remove the passenger foot pegs. I like to shift my feet to where I'm on the balls of my feet on the pegs and the factory bags mounts would not let me do this comfortably.

Ooooh I missed this earlier.  Did you buy those somewhere, or make them?  I'd love to do that too - I plan on sometimes having a passenger, but on long trips it's just me and those passenger pegs push my heels out when I'm on the balls of my feet.  

Would love to be able to just pull them off when not needed, so I can get more foot room.

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Ooooh I missed this earlier.  Did you buy those somewhere, or make them?  I'd love to do that too - I plan on sometimes having a passenger, but on long trips it's just me and those passenger pegs push my heels out when I'm on the balls of my feet.  

Would love to be able to just pull them off when not needed, so I can get more foot room.

If you don’t need the bag mounts, it is as simple as removing the peg mounts. Two hex bolts, that are in with thread locker so take your time or use gentle heat. You can then either just leave the holes empty or there are options for blanking plates i.e. SW Motech.

I haven’t found an option where you retain the bag mounts yet, but am interested if anyone has solved this as my heels hit the rear pegs too.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

50 minutes ago, BBB said:

If you don’t need the bag mounts, it is as simple as removing the peg mounts. Two hex bolts, that are in with thread locker so take your time or use gentle heat. You can then either just leave the holes empty or there are options for blanking plates i.e. SW Motech.

I haven’t found an option where you retain the bag mounts yet, but am interested if anyone has solved this as my heels hit the rear pegs too.

Yeah, I need the bag mounts - the hard bags where a part of why I went with the GT.  This is why I was interested in @angusmcoz's solution as he has bag mounts but no rear pegs.

6 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

The bag mounts are for the 2015-2017 FJ-09 (US?) mounted with out the foot peg (the foot peg bracket mounts over top of the bag mount) . Part # 2PP-F84G0-V0-00. If you get these you will also need the rubber caps. Part # 5VS-W9753-00-00. Please be aware, most photos of the bag mounts show the foot peg with the brackets, Part # 2PP-F84G0-V0-00 is for the side case bracket only.

Edited by angusmcoz

• Supporting Member

This just arrived from Motostorm, Italy 🙂

Givi D2122S screen.  Have heard good things about this screen from those that are 'shaped' in a similar way to me so will be keen to fit and test out over the next week or so.  I like the look of it already 👍

d2122s_1.thumb.JPG.bf838bb9e7caf2a561700cff88bfa4a2.JPG

d2122s_2.thumb.jpg.6c9676689657e9dc5e7ede143aa178ae.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2