What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member

I spent the day experimenting with suspension settings, specifically trying to find the sweet spot on fork height in the triple clamps.   My Ohlins YA535 shock frustratingly doesn’t have a ride height adjuster, so I’ve been moving the forks up & down a few millimeters at a time to try and find the right balance for my riding style.  

I finally settled on 8 mm from the top of the clamp to the mating surface of the cap and the top of the fork tube, plus a round more preload on the shock than conventional sag numbers would suggest. This seems to keep the steering crisp, and the handling balance nice & neutral when heeled over in higher speed sweepers.  At - or beyond - 10 mm of tube above the clamps, and the bike feels like it’s starting to understeer and push/overweight the front...  definitely not what I’m looking for.   

The RaceTech gold valve setup is a huge improvement from stock, but I think I finally have to admit that it’s about an 85% solution for the forks.   The rest of the bike works so well now that I’m secretly starting to wish I had spent the extra money for the full Ohlins NIX30 fork internals...   

2D1462F2-4D06-4AE3-9C68-9BD43D6A964E.thumb.jpeg.c7a14979617a1d9fc6ad59089a77059f.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

been off the bike for a few weeks while recovering from some carpal tunnel surgery. While I was not riding I did a major upgrade and had some AK-20 cartridges from traxxion dynamics installed.  Had my first ride on them today and all I can say is WOW what a difference. Went down some local roads bumpy roads that gave the bike fit's with the stock suspension. So much better and no brake dive. It really highlights how bad the stock rear shock is. Now that I have tasted the koolaid I can't stand the stock rear shock and will be ordering a Penske rear Tuesday when the local shop opens.

66564057_2020-02-0915_54_48.resized.jpg.06927b9848f454dd9ad5164b49e9cf22.jpg

intended to take a short ride of 5 to 10 miles and ended up searching out bad roads and speed bumps, 80 miles later I had  to turn on the GPS to get home !!

2020-02-09 16.25.06.resized.jpg

Edited by riding_tall
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, riding_tall said:

been off the bike for a few weeks while recovering from some carpal tunnel surgery. While I was not riding I did a major upgrade and had some AK-20 cartridges from traxxion dynamics installed.  Had my first ride on them today and all I can say is WOW what a difference. Went down some local roads bumpy roads that gave the bike fit's with the stock suspension. So much better and no brake dive. It really highlights how bad the stock rear shock is. Now that I have tasted the koolaid I can't stand the stock rear shock and will be ordering a Penske rear Tuesday when the local shop opens.

I have never heard a negative review on the AK-20's.  Upgraded suspension is a beautiful thing. 👍

I also have the Penske double clicker from Traxxion and it is fantastic!!

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I spent the day experimenting with suspension settings, specifically trying to find the sweet spot on fork height in the triple clamps.   My Ohlins YA535 shock frustratingly doesn’t have a ride height adjuster, so I’ve been moving the forks up & down a few millimeters at a time to try and find the right balance for my riding style.  

I finally settled on 8 mm from the top of the clamp to the mating surface of the cap and the top of the fork tube, plus a round more preload on the shock than conventional sag numbers would suggest. This seems to keep the steering crisp, and the handling balance nice & neutral when heeled over in higher speed sweepers.  At - or beyond - 10 mm of tube above the clamps, and the bike feels like it’s starting to understeer and push/overweight the front...  definitely not what I’m looking for.   

The RaceTech gold valve setup is a huge improvement from stock, but I think I finally have to admit that it’s about an 85% solution for the forks.   The rest of the bike works so well now that I’m secretly starting to wish I had spent the extra money for the full Ohlins NIX30 fork internals...  

Glad that you found the sweet spot on the forks, I too found that 10mm was too much for my liking, I settled on about 5mm on the forks and increased the rear ride height a few mm as well.

Nothing beats that feeling when you finally get the settings "just right".  This past Summer while on a road trip, I decided to add +1 more click rebound damping on the forks and OMG, it was like fitting the last puzzle piece. 

If the Race Teck modified forks aren't perfect for you, I'm sure you could sell them on here and pick up some drop in cartridges.  My buddy has the Stoltec kit in his FJ and while it is definitely an improvement, its like you said, about an 85% solution.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, koth442 said:

Wait like 6 months before you decide to sell the RaceTech stuff Scott. I need time to assemble the money :P

I will definitely keep that in mind.   I would hate for this current RaceTech setup to go to waste, since it is such a big step forward from stock.   All it needs is fresh fluid and you would be good to go... 

• Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, Alistair said:

R&G fender extender extender fitted today.  Decided to use epoxy glue instead of the rivits.  Very please with the result and it should save the headers and radiator.

Sadly, it makes some difference, but it still gets mucky back there.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

On 2/12/2020 at 9:41 PM, BBB said:

Sadly, it makes some difference, but it still gets mucky back there.

It's a shame Yamaha don't make an under cowl like the one I had on my Suzuki Vstrom 650.  That did a great job of keeping the muck off the engine and exhaust header.

Edited by Alistair

On 2/4/2020 at 11:43 AM, 1moreroad said:

This just arrived from Motostorm, Italy 🙂

Givi D2122S screen.  Have heard good things about this screen from those that are 'shaped' in a similar way to me so will be keen to fit and test out over the next week or so.  I like the look of it already 👍

Got a review yet @dazzler24 ? Happy or not?

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, jdavis said:

Got a review yet @dazzler24 ? Happy or not?

@jdavis - Hi John.  Actually, no review yet as I've only been out a few times since I purchased and only once at speeds that would test it properly and that was a very windy day so would have skewed my experience anyway.

Since then we've had unrelenting rain (as you know) and I've been otherwise distracted with 'other' tasks around home.  In between that I've been mucking around with making a new Cruise control switch with the left handlebar control dismantled.

So, in short, not yet.  I do like the looks of it though.  Well-made and much thicker than OEM.  I'm certainly hopeful that it will fulfil my 'brief' of what I was expecting.

Soon...... 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 7:05 AM, angusmcoz said:

The bag mounts are for the 2015-2017 FJ-09 (US?) mounted with out the foot peg (the foot peg bracket mounts over top of the bag mount) . Part # 2PP-F84G0-V0-00. If you get these you will also need the rubber caps. Part # 5VS-W9753-00-00. Please be aware, most photos of the bag mounts show the foot peg with the brackets, Part # 2PP-F84G0-V0-00 is for the side case bracket only.

Thanks to @angusmcoz I ordered the kit, removed the passenger pegs on my 2019 Tracer GT, put on the FJ09 brackets and now have lots of room for my feet on the pegs.

I don't have passenger pegs and don't need them.

This is documented here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/yamaha-tracer-900gt.1266110/page-57

near the bottom of the page

BTW the kit 2PP-F84G0-V0-00 includes everything you need to install the  brackets including the rubber caps

• Thanks 1

I bought this bike on Monday, and after a 12k service, I finally got to tinker with it. Today I installed a louder horn, side racks for my Givi cases, a triboseat gripper for my wife on the passenger seat, and my garage door opener. 
I also reduced the rebound on the suspension, changed the lever and switch positioning, and planned the routing for my Denali auxiliary lights. 
Starting to feel like my bike!

Edited by Patch Kit
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Patch Kit said:

Starting to feel like my bike!

That's the key right there, once its adjusted and set up to your liking and you get on and everything feels right at home.👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1