What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, foxtrot722 said:

Thanks for your reply, guess the radiator has the cooling capacity to keep the engine cool with some restricted air flow. That being said, I guess if it doesn't overheat stuck in traffic in 95F temperatures, that says a lot for the cooling system. 

I have the Evotech radiator guard on my 2015 FJ, and have had zero issues with overheating.   I live in Houston, where 100+ F days with high humidity are common during the summer.  While I typically don't commute in heavy traffic, I did get caught last summer in a brutal accident backup on the freeway:   It took 90+ minutes to cover one mile, in 102ish degree heat.  The fan came on frequently, but the bike never gave any indication of even threatening to overheat.   I was absolutely miserable BAKING in the sun and radiant engine heat, but the bike was fine...  personally, I wouldn't worry about any adverse impact of the radiator guard.     

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Swapped out chain and sprockets on the weekend & oil change.

Modded the oil drain plug (2015 FJ) with the R1 plug / ground off (nearly all of) the guard.

Edited by knyte
added link
  • Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, Willie17FJ-09 said:

bought some FJR inner bags for my 17 FJ-09 factory FJ luggage 

lol and here I am, trying to find FJR liners for my FJR bags for use on my FJ-09!!  I have a pair of Yamaha liners, but the fabric keeps tearing away from the side piping on the 'lid'.  It just begins to fray away from the seam, and there's no stopping it.

These seem highly rated...ordered.

Edited by knyte
(added link / extra text)
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

33 minutes ago, knyte said:

lol and here I am, trying to find FJR liners for my FJR bags for use on my FJ-09!!  I have a pair of Yamaha liners, but the fabric keeps tearing away from the side piping on the 'lid'.  It just begins to fray away from the seam, and there's no stopping it.

These seem highly rated...ordered.

They look to be nice quality bags. I bought them from revzilla. Should be nice for motel stays while traveling 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I lubed my chain with my new Grease Ninja, all I can say is WOW!

No lube spraying on the bike or on the floor of the garage, and I used a fraction of the lube I normally need to completely lube the chain. Wish I had bought this years ago.......

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 3:27 AM, bowlin01 said:

@Wintersdark that looks great, please post some pics of it 'in action' when you have a minute

Cheers

Steve

Took a while, because there was 4" of ice outside my garage!  Finally got some not-winter, and could try it out.

Putting the bike on it was indistinguishable from just putting it on the centerstand on the ground, and it makes rolling the bike around or spinning it trivially easy.  There's actually a lot more room than it looks like, the bike is way off center - which incidentally doesn't seem to impact how it rolls.

20200424_184743.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Buggy Nate said:

Washed the poor thing. It has been a while!

DBE7A7E0-C511-411E-95CA-6A3ADD2C8217.jpeg

On 4/17/2020 at 10:42 AM, foxtrot722 said:

... does to compromise the amount of air going through the radiator? I have often wondered about that. 

On ANOther Forum that I infest occasionally, there has been much debate about screens of this kind, though I hasten to add an important pint the the csreens in question are to be fitted to an oil-cooler/ rdiator, not a water-cooling radiatore: the bikes in qustion being air/ oil-cooled BMW boxer twins.

26 minutes ago, Buggy Nate said:

Washed the poor thing. It has been a while!

DBE7A7E0-C511-411E-95CA-6A3ADD2C8217.jpeg

Looks mint, Nate!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

Today, I spent some time making the almost-final adjustments of handlebar and switchgear angles after fitting the Rizoma 60mm handlebar risers.   I’ll be going out for a few hundred miles tomorrow as a real world test, but based on a quick ride through the neighborhood, this is the setup.   I think I’m going to be REALLY happy with this upgrade!  

Stock FJ09 bar, rotated up a few degrees from the stock location (locating dot is above the separation line):  

5AFD5106-77B0-4547-AE5C-BFB2C1F7C95A.thumb.jpeg.4879dd69bfadfc6e7632f5fe233a4d90.jpeg

Full lock left (note that I have significantly trimmed down the clutch pivot bolt length for clearance): 

ED345716-73EB-4284-8C07-DF10C48A1E87.thumb.jpeg.2571c5f65a1065508c86d79693fcabcc.jpeg

Full lock right:  

A39627EA-410A-4645-9F13-0C7B236CA6A0.thumb.jpeg.82ccae20c057678f9a77ece0c91ba9f1.jpeg

As I stated previously, this is about as low as you could possibly go without getting into serious clearance issues.  

300 miles on the agenda for tomorrow, so I’ll report back with my impressions.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, betoney said:

@texscottyd - Are you still able to angle your levers down a bit or did you have to raise them to get full lock clearance?

I am able to run the levers down several degrees, which I have always preferred on this bike.  Combined with rotating the bar up a bit, it makes the sweep/rise/lever angle combination feel just about right...  tomorrow will help validate and maybe fine tune a bit.  

My only unknown is the overall width of the handlebar.  My gut instinct is that taking maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inches off each side will be the final piece of the puzzle.  We shall see...  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

A summary of a few things done while in lockdown: -

1. New HEL braided brake lines - plus hydraulic pressure switch replacing existing mechanical switch.

2. Yamaha DRL/indicators

3. Painted the cargo carrier.

4. Put some reflective stripes on the wheels.

5. Gave her a bath.

20200426_150603_resized.thumb.jpg.b889e07495d4f71daedf5feef139ce7b.jpg

20200426_150803_resized.thumb.jpg.d0aa15a82e7d8aa24d2a593eb06fdaac.jpg

20200426_150626_resized.thumb.jpg.1ee4da1e0fb7abfa29a96cc533378511.jpg

20200426_150450_resized.thumb.jpg.0435fe0aed7c34417d7257405a0f2359.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 3