What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, mingo said:

Which adjuster is this? the chinese knock off? 

Yes, those were originally mine, they are the $30 adjusters from eBay.  When I bought them they didn't have an index mark on them to line up with the measurement marks, making them useless to me for aligning the chain.  I offered to give them away to @fddriver2, and @new1709rider offered to machine precise alignment marks to make them work.  So they made the rounds from China to Washington to North Carolina to Florida. 😎👍

• Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 minutes ago, betoney said:

Yes, those were originally mine, they are the $30 adjusters from eBay.  When I bought them they didn't have an index mark on them to line up with the measurement marks, making them useless to me for aligning the chain.  I offered to give them away to @fddriver2, and @new1709rider offered to machine precise alignment marks to make them work.  So they made the rounds from China to Washington to North Carolina to Florida. 😎👍

hmm.. my son is a machinist.. but I hate to support copy cat knock offs.  Thanks for the info. 

• Supporting Member

The previous Bridgestone T31's lasted 6500 miles.  Got the S22's installed this morning.  Time to scuff them up.

image.png.0ca188822c838e8c7d4f07713c6455a1.png

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member

Good to know the mileage you got from the t31.  I have a set ready to go on the FJ when it's due sometime this season or before I go on a trip. That is if this pandemic ever ends.  I have a friend who's flying out to California on the 20th to ride back his BMW R 1200 RT, so that should be interesting to hear about.

I just put on a set of s22s on my VTR but haven't had it out yet.

I've read the s22 to get about the same mileage as the t31 and do pretty well in the rain as well.

20200508_162932.jpg

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Good to know the mileage you got from the t31.

I just put on a set of s22s on my VTR but haven't had it out yet.

I've read the s22 to get about the same mileage as the t31 and do pretty well in the rain as well.

This is my first outing with the S22, I have used 3 sets of their previous S21's.  Both the S21 and T31 were very worthwhile tires, longevity on the S21 was about 1,000 miles less than the T31, as can be expected.  I had the S21's in rain many times and the T31 in hail storms and monsoon-level downpours with no issues.

• Supporting Member

To see how much more money I can piss away on my GT, I put on the FJ side case mounts (Part # 2PP-F84G0-V0-00). This allows people with big feet to not have there heels jammed against the stock side case- foot peg mount on the GT. I have size 13 feet and it allows me to have the balls of my feet on the pegs and room to spare from the mounts. You lose the stock passenger foot pegs of the GT but you can put on the stock FJ pass pegs.  For me it's not a problem, nobody is stupid enough to get behind me on a bike🙂. The mounts are heaver and as not as pretty as the stock GT mounts 3 LB 10 oz verses 2 lb 13 oz for stock mounts including the foot pegs. The cheapest price I could find was from Cheapcycleparts.com $80.99. Hope this helps somebody with big hoofs.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

2 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

To see how much more money I can piss away on my GT, I put on the FJ side case mounts (Part # 2PP-F84G0-V0-00). This allows people with big feet to not have there heels jammed against the stock side case- foot peg mount on the GT. I have size 13 feet and it allows me to have the balls of my feet on the pegs and room to spare from the mounts. You lose the stock passenger foot pegs of the GT but you can put on the stock FJ pass pegs.  For me it's not a problem, nobody is stupid enough to get behind me on a bike🙂. The mounts are heaver and as not as pretty as the stock GT mounts 3 LB 10 oz verses 2 lb 13 oz for stock mounts including the foot pegs. The cheapest price I could find was from Cheapcycleparts.com $80.99. Hope this helps somebody with big hoofs.

Mind posting a photo of that?

• Supporting Member

I would love to but i'm just to computer stupid to do that. It's like the stock mount but solid steel. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

30 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Oooh, I love the black and orange.  Really nice.

Thank you. 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Post-winter oil change done!  

I still can't believe having Yamaha ship me an oil change kit was cheaper than buying the filter and oil locally or via Amazon.  $50 for the filter, 3l of oil and a new crush washer (also gloves and funnel, actually) with free 3 day shipping.

To the Americans in the group - yeah, oil, particularly MC oil is spendy here.  Typically around $15/l.  

It's a downside of winter riding - all the cold starts is pretty hard on your oil, so it's a good practice to change it moving into spring.  

A side note.  Wtf is it with Yamaha and stock oil filters being absolutely CRANKED onto the bike?  Torque is supposedly 12ft-lbs for the filter, but every stock filter I've taken off has required basically total destruction of the filter in the process.  Also, 32ft-lbs for the drain bolt?  In that aluminum pan?  Eeeeeeeh.

20200508_210115.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member

Not making this an oil thread I'm surprised that Shell Rotella T6 in a gallon bottle in various grades is not cheap in Canada

Here it's 22 bucks a gallon

The only time I found the stock filter to be over tightened is the first time I change the oil at 60 miles into the break-in which in my opinion is critical after that there shouldn't be a lot from breaking-in in the oil 

T 6 is a synthetic so for winter starts it's better and it's also Jaso certified

I normally use a Purolator synthetic  and slightly longer filter but there's been issues with them Sealing

I tighten the oil filter but I feel as well as the drain plug

• Premium Member
On 5/2/2020 at 2:18 PM, texscottyd said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I hate you...   :D  

I’ve got to venture a long way from home to find that caliber of riding.   Hope you had a great ride! 

Me too.  Love the Cherohala and even the Dragon.  But there is a plethora of great roads, and like no cops.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Tried something new today...  after two sets of Michelins on the FJ, I decided to give a set of RoadSmart 3s a shot.   I haven’t run Dunlops in decades, but my local shop made me a deal I couldn’t refuse.  

While I loved the way the PR5s worked, I was a bit disappointed in the mileage, as they were toast at 5,000 miles.   I’m hoping for good mileage and grip from these RoadSmart 3s, for significantly less money than the Michelins.    They seem fine based on the casual 50 mile ride home, but I’ll have to actually get out and ride with more serious intentions to formulate an opinion as a sport tire.    

35E21B48-FB9A-4325-8EBE-5A7030E5332A.thumb.jpeg.21df09c0ca16b9ee12502a014df798dc.jpeg

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Tried something new today...  after two sets of Michelins on the FJ, I decided to give a set of RoadSmart 3s a shot.   I haven’t run Dunlops in decades, but my local shop made me a deal I couldn’t refuse.  

While I loved the way the PR5s worked, I was a bit disappointed in the mileage, as they were toast at 5,000 miles.   I’m hoping for good mileage and grip from these RoadSmart 3s, for significantly less money than the Michelins.    They seem fine based on the casual 50 mile ride home, but I’ll have to actually get out and ride with more serious intentions to formulate an opinion as a sport tire.   

I'll be interested to see how those wear in a few thousand miles.  Either you got a defective tire or your road surfaces are seriously funky.

• Thumbsup 1