What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
On 5/10/2020 at 7:55 AM, texscottyd said:

@Wintersdark - If you hadn’t seen it in the other thread (linked below... interesting discussion), here are the Michelin Road 5s in question.   5,344 miles, and that rear clearly should have been replaced at around 5,000 miles.   The front was worn & starting to scallop a bit, but probably had another 1,000 miles or so before it would have concerned me.    

4C27D5B9-A94D-45DE-8F9E-44BC7DF2098D.thumb.jpeg.09ddd9155881740874b933a529b25968.jpeg

EE8051CB-D15F-4809-AC1D-E5F12D14FD47.thumb.jpeg.a87846cfa8f77ec29913366abaa6262b.jpeg

Holy crap! For reference, here are photos of my front and rear Road 5s. Current mileage is 9082 on the front, 4683 on the rear. Obviously we have different riding styles, but I suspect roads and temps are a big factor as well. Most of my miles are commuting or only lightly spirited touring, often on cool, wet, relatively smooth asphalt roads.

It's interesting to see how different wear can be on the same tire.  

IMG_20200512_132222_5.jpg

IMG_20200512_132114_6.jpg

• Confused 1

• Premium Member

More social disobedience. This time for crab cakes and conch fritters. 

Screenshot_20200512-140457_Maps.jpg

20200512_122237.jpg

20200512_132258.jpg

20200512_132316.jpg

20200512_132331.jpg

20200512_132505.jpg

20200512_165024.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member

@fddriver2 - You had me at ‘conch fritters’ :) 

Glad to see you’re out enjoying yourself.  I’m getting anxious for some more seat time, and am hopeful to get out later this week.   I have some new Dunlops to go wear out prematurely... 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, keithu said:

That’s a stunning difference to me, even adjusting for heat, riding styles, et cetera...

To be clear, I was really happy with the Road 5 overall, and would buy another set without hesitation.  It’s just the relatively short lifespan (of this set, at least) that surprised me.   I went back and checked my records, and the PR4s that were on here previously actually went 7,411 miles, or roughly 40% more use than I got from the Road 5s.   Same bike, same roads, same weather, same semi-irresponsible me...   

I’ll report back with my initial thoughts on the RoadSmart 3s after I log some focused miles.   Meanwhile, enjoy those Road 5s, since they look to still have a lot of miles left in them. 

• Thumbsup 1

Finally received the new Garmin motorcycle mount for my XT, so now I can quickly move it between the bikes. Also added the Engage tank bag. and a mount for the 360 camera. Finally tour ready!

IMG_20200513_181530.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 3:39 PM, keithu said:

Holy crap! For reference, here are photos of my front and rear Road 5s. Current mileage is 9082 on the front, 4683 on the rear. Obviously we have different riding styles, but I suspect roads and temps are a big factor as well. Most of my miles are commuting or only lightly spirited touring, often on cool, wet, relatively smooth asphalt roads.

keithu it looks like you live in twisty road country. The edge of those tires are getting used big time!!! " As my boss would say, Good Job".

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, tktplz said:

keithu it looks like you live in twisty road country. The edge of those tires are getting used big time!!! " As my boss would say, Good Job".

LOL, not nearly as much as texscottyd. On the Road5 you can see a pretty clear break between the harder center compound and the softer compound near the edge of the tire. It's a pretty obvious break and I think it makes you look like more of a hardcore rider than you really are. The reality is I've become pretty conservative in my old age; road surfaces in the real world are unpredictable, and I'm always worried about what's around that blind corner. Chucking bikes into the ditch is one of my least favorite things to do. 

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, koth442 said:

07 GSXR 600. 

Should be a fun project! I'm planning to start on my YZF750R once I finish the Butt Lite prep on the FJ-09, plus a major woodworking project.

• Thumbsup 1

Finally. The lockdown rules have been relaxed enough in the UK that I got the bike out today. Warm, dry tarmac even if only 10C air temperature. New chain and sprockets worked well. Triggered the ABS at both ends and re-bled the brakes after braided hose install, but no bubbles at all.

Happy days.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, BBB said:

Finally. The lockdown rules have been relaxed enough in the UK that I got the bike out today.

It really makes you appreciate the freedom of riding.  Our restrictions eased up a bit last week, we had phenomenal weather and I rode a bit over 1200 miles in 4 days.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, BBB said:

Finally. The lockdown rules have been relaxed enough in the UK that I got the bike out today. Warm, dry tarmac even if only 10C air temperature. New chain and sprockets worked well. Triggered the ABS at both ends and re-bled the brakes after braided hose install, but no bubbles at all.

Happy days.

Yep...me and a mate got out yesterday,  first ride since before lockdown.  Soon got in the swing of it. Roads were more quiet than i was expecting,  maybe more out today.  136 miles taking in Bewdley, Tenbury wells and leominster. Absolutely loved it. 👍

20200513_130047.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, SKYFLIX said:

Finally received the new Garmin motorcycle mount for my XT, so now I can quickly move it between the bikes. Also added the Engage tank bag. and a mount for the 360 camera. Finally tour ready!

IMG_20200513_181530.jpg

Dang is that color display sexy compared to my '15.  Wish there was an upgrade path for those of us in the dark.

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion.