What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

14 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I put on the KTM Adventure's hand grips almost immediately and never noticed any high speed wobble, aero induced or otherwise over 35k miles but never had it over 120 mph

Can't see doing a beak, no real functionality as I'm totally function over form.

Grip Puppies and R&G nylon bar ends (have to check out how heavy the FZ bar ends really are (anyone weigh them?) but with minimal vibes ever, wanted the larger diameter for my size 11+ mits

Which I could do something about heel clearance even on my 15 but if anything would want my rubber shod pegs a bit lower and forward not more rear set.  Thinking about the MRW Vario pegs or a Chincom clone like I put on my VTR (real Varios on it but they're dear).  Concerned about adequate shifter and brake pedal adjustment though.  Anyone do them?

I picked up the beak to eat up some of the space between the front fender and headlight. I feel like there is just too much space and makes it look a little weird....imo. The beak is made of 3mm abs plastic and I spent a whopping $18 after tax. Not a bad mod for that price.

Went for a tear to feel out the Grip Puppies in practice.  

I think I've found a new Day One bike mod.  Mine wasn't particularly buzzy in the bars to start with, but now there's none. 

Way more comfortable for my huge paws, too - the larger diameter didn't SEEM that significant (despite being what I was really looking for with these) but it has a huge impact in practice.  So much so that I suspect they may be a problem for small-handed folks. 

Heated grips take longer to heat up (and cool down) but transmit the heat just as well.  I think they'll be better at staying warm in the winter, too, where normally they cool off if you take your hand off the grip for a second.  I was concerned about this, but that seems for naught.

No problem pushing it into corners; no impact on control at all.

My only outstanding question is really what'll happen when they get wet.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I think I've found a new Day One bike mod.  Mine wasn't particularly buzzy in the bars to start with, but now there's none. 

Way more comfortable for my huge paws, too - the larger diameter didn't SEEM that significant (despite being what I was really looking for with these) but it has a huge impact in practice.  So much so that I suspect they may be a problem for small-handed folks. 

Heated grips take longer to heat up (and cool down) but transmit the heat just as well.  I think they'll be better at staying warm in the winter, too, where normally they cool off if you take your hand off the grip for a second.  I was concerned about this, but that seems for naught.

Welcome to the club. We have cookies & t-shirts for the newbs. 😜

Wet weather won't affect them after installation. As you mentioned the only real noticeable difference is the heated grips & the delayed transmission of warmth you noticed. Other than that you will not find much different other than comfort & reduction of vibes. Bonus points for having huge paws, the added circumference helps those of us blessed with sasquatch hands. 😉

• Thumbsup 2
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

59 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

My Day One Mod would be having the bike flashed on the dyno @ 2wheeldynoworks! Nels is the man! Totally different bike once that was done.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, cwdawson01 said:

I picked up the beak to eat up some of the space between the front fender and headlight. I feel like there is just too much space and makes it look a little weird....imo. The beak is made of 3mm abs plastic and I spent a whopping $18 after tax. Not a bad mod for that price.

Curious what and where you found a beak for18 kissers?  Pray tell, thx

1 hour ago, cwdawson01 said:

My Day One Mod would be having the bike flashed on the dyno @ 2wheeldynoworks! Nels is the man! Totally different bike once that was done.

Does the flash make a big difference even without aftermarket exhaust? I have no interest (at least for the foreseeable future) to change the exhaust but would like the speed limiter to be removed. But if the speed limiter is the only benefit I don't really think it's worth it since I don't usually see those speeds. And I don't really have much of a problem with the fueling either but I'm sure it could be improved. 

13 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Curious what and where you found a beak for18 kissers?  Pray tell, thx

I found it on ebay. Great quality and took about 10min for install. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223911194073

9 minutes ago, Zach26 said:

Does the flash make a big difference even without aftermarket exhaust? I have no interest (at least for the foreseeable future) to change the exhaust but would like the speed limiter to be removed. But if the speed limiter is the only benefit I don't really think it's worth it since I don't usually see those speeds. And I don't really have much of a problem with the fueling either but I'm sure it could be improved. 

The flash made a huge difference. Some of the things that he does is as follows.

Takes speed limiter off- ive had the bike at 142mph and she can handle more

He goes through every gear for optimum fuel mapping. This helps the bike obviously get better gas mileage and also makes the bike smoother on deceleration when letting off the gas

He also can set the fan to come on at whatever temp you want

He can also program it to where you can have the bike start in A or C mode if you like.

If you have him flash the ecu with the stock exhaust, he will flash it again for free if you happen to get an aftermarket exhaust down the line.

My bike dyno'd out at 138hp with a full akra exhaust

Hope this helps ya.

• Thumbsup 2

8 minutes ago, cwdawson01 said:

The flash made a huge difference. Some of the things that he does is as follows.

Takes speed limiter off- ive had the bike at 142mph and she can handle more

He goes through every gear for optimum fuel mapping. This helps the bike obviously get better gas mileage and also makes the bike smoother on deceleration when letting off the gas

He also can set the fan to come on at whatever temp you want

He can also program it to where you can have the bike start in A or C mode if you like.

If you have him flash the ecu with the stock exhaust, he will flash it again for free if you happen to get an aftermarket exhaust down the line.

Hope this helps ya.

Thanks. This is good info. Next time I have some time that I'm unable to ride I will probably have the flash done. I didn't know he would flash it again for free if i changed exhaust later. 

• Supporting Member
41 minutes ago, cwdawson01 said:

That is an extremely bold claim, that's a full15% higher than any other FZ/FJ with a full system and Woolich race software.  In a perfect setting on a completely unrestricted bike you will get around 118-120 peak hp.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

10 minutes ago, betoney said:

That is an extremely bold claim, that's a full15% higher than any other FZ/FJ with a full system and Woolich race software.  In a perfect setting on a completely unrestricted bike you will get around 118-120 peak hp.

Just adding the full exhaust, Akrapovic says you gain about 8-10hp. Thats with no tuning.

• Supporting Member
43 minutes ago, Zach26 said:

Thanks. This is good info. Next time I have some time that I'm unable to ride I will probably have the flash done. I didn't know he would flash it again for free if i changed exhaust later. 

After I had the initial flash, I sent it back a 2nd time to set it to A-Mode and for the Active Tune module and then a 3rd time for a different fuel map for the Scorpion exhaust.  The 2nd and 3rd flash were completely free!! 👍

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, cwdawson01 said:

Just adding the full exhaust, Akrapovic says you gain about 8-10hp. Thats with no tuning.

Exactly.  Stock is 105hp and with an Akrapovich full system, Nels was able to get it tuned to 117hp on his dyno in the video above.

16 minutes ago, cwdawson01 said:

Here is a chart from Akrapovic. I thought it was 8-10 but looks like its 7hp. Still, without any tuning on a bike that is extremely limited by regulations, we are looking at 119.3hp with just the pipe. Throw in some correct fuel mapping and taking the limiter off, dont see why its so crazy. 

Unit Stock Exhaust Akrapovic Max Gain
Maximum Power kW 82.7 at 9900 rpm 87.7 at 9850 rpm + 5.1 at 9850 rpm
  HP (m) 112.4 at 9900 rpm 119.3 at 9850 rpm + 6.9 at 9850 rpm
  HP (i) 110.9 at 9900 rpm 117.7 at 9850 rpm + 6.8 at 9850 rpm
Maximum Torque Nm 88.3 at 8400 rpm 91.9 at 8250 rpm + 6.4 at 5150 rpm
  lb-ft 65.1 at 8400 rpm 67.8 at 8250 rpm + 4.7 at 5150 rpm
Weight kg 8.4 4.6 - 3.8
  lb 18.5 10.1 - 8.4
  % - - - 45.2
Static Noise Level dB 94 at 5000 rpm 102.5 at 5000 rpm + 8.5

7 minutes ago, betoney said:

After I had the initial flash, I sent it back a 2nd time to set it to A-Mode and for the Active Tune module and then a 3rd time for a different fuel map for the Scorpion exhaust.  The 2nd and 3rd flash were completely free!! 👍

That's good to know. I really want to get the flash done but I use my bike almost every day and dont want it to be down for two weeks while I can ride. I will probably just hold off and have it done next winter. 

• Like 1