What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member

Broke a Tiger (rental) swapped it for a BMW 

20200529_170909.jpg

Screenshot_20200530-170057_Maps.jpg

20200530_215155.jpg

• Like 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
On 5/27/2020 at 7:07 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

I'm an early riser.  Drives the wife crazy.  The kids when they were at home hated to get up in the morning; had to use a cattle prod to get them to school.  They're all vampires, the sun fries them and they stay up all night, then sleep during the day.  My wife watches TV till she falls asleep around 4:30 right when I'm stirring.  This REALLY wears on me but SWMBO say's separate bedrooms are out, she didn't get married to sleep alone.  What?

You say how is this pertinent?  

Well I'd also prefer to be on the bike before dawn but I'm exhausted in the AM even with ear plugs, an eye mask and the TV muted and on closed caption.  The friggin CPAP and sciatica are other big drags.  Then it takes me at least 2 ~ 3 hours to get moving (figuratively and literally) and for the pain killers to kick in.  So while I'm up and at em by around 5 and OOB by 6:00, it seems I'm never rolling down the driveway before 10.  It drives me crazy!

Reconsider the  separate bedrooms dilemma.  Wife and I both  agree we sleep better alone.  Plus, she lets me take multiple trips on the bikes.  And I'm retired.  And I have an FJ. I've got it all. 

• Thumbsup 2

I did NOT install my new tires. Called friday asking the shop about them. They were waiting for the angled vavle stems(supplied is on back order, covid19). Told them I needed them back. Doing 120mile commute right now(covid19 as well). 

I wasn't available to pick them up Saturday. So I sent the wife. They didn't give the wife my crush drive or my front tire back. So I have to wait till Monday after work to get them. Pissed. I spent extra money at a dealership to have them change the tires instead my self and it was a hassle. First service work I have had there. Only ordered parts before. And they show up in 1-2 days and same price as online. So probably wont do service there again

Pirelli scorpion trail II

Daughter walked in on the shot and got her shadow. 

20200530_183539.jpg

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

What do you think of the BMW?

In the past (in fact going back as far as 1997) I've been fortunate enough to have owned many BMW boxer twins, mainly Roadsters, but also more than one GS.   As far as the R9T is concerned - it's different!   

And TBH I'm still coming to terms with it, a process not helped at all by the fact that within days of getting it covid forced us all off the road here for many weeks, restrictions only just being relaxed.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

I installed a Scott Oiler V-system today. What a pain! I think this actually took longer than the MCCRUISE install, mostly because I spent a lot of time agonizing over where to put the reservoir. I ultimately attached it to the left luggage rail. Out in the open and not pretty, but let's be real: "pretty" went straight out the window when I installed a big ass fuel cell on my FJ.

IMG_20200531_132801_8.jpg

IMG_20200531_115830_3.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

21 hours ago, limpy88 said:

I did NOT install my new tires. Called friday asking the shop about them. They were waiting for the angled vavle stems(supplied is on back order, covid19). Told them I needed them back. Doing 120mile commute right now(covid19 as well). 

I wasn't available to pick them up Saturday. So I sent the wife. They didn't give the wife my crush drive or my front tire back. So I have to wait till Monday after work to get them. Pissed. I spent extra money at a dealership to have them change the tires instead my self and it was a hassle. First service work I have had there. Only ordered parts before. And they show up in 1-2 days and same price as online. So probably wont do service there again

Pirelli scorpion trail II

Daughter walked in on the shot and got her shadow. 

20200530_183539.jpg

That is the way I am going as well,  had the valve stems done the other day and now waiting for current tyres to wear enough. By the way of interest, did you have a second choice for tyres?

7 hours ago, jdavis said:

That is the way I am going as well,  had the valve stems done the other day and now waiting for current tyres to wear enough. By the way of interest, did you have a second choice for tyres?

The only 90/10 tires i could find in the right size are the pirelli's i got, bridgestone ae41 and continental trail attack 3. The 17inch front is the limiting factory. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Ordered a Pit Bull Headlift stand this morning. Have to get into one of the forks. Had piston, valves and springs installed. Shop put it back together wrong. I have only four clicks of rebound. I'm 500 miles away, so taking it back isn't practical.

Watched the Dave Moss video posted by @captainscarlet. I'm ready to go.

Also went for 150 mile ride.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

Have to get into one of the forks. Had piston, valves and springs installed. Shop put it back together wrong. I have only four clicks of rebound.

Let me know what you find, that might be my issue as well.👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Got my Helibar risers yesterday, installed, and got out on a nice group ride through a twisty old 2-lane highway up to Canmore, AB and back - a perfect chance to test em out!

To be honest, I didn't really expect to find them make a big difference, but wow, they're awesome.  That 1-1/8th rise and 1-1/8th pullback are *significantly* more comfortable for me, while not feeling in the way in the slightest at crouch and lean.  Really helps with the "roll forward" feeling of the seat for me, as I can sit a lot more upright.  

It's a pretty impressive product, too, for what amounts to a chunk of metal.  Well machined, perfect fit, powdercoat isn't an exact match but is very close.  Installation was a breeze.  Well.  Therein lay a problem.

See, while installing the riser, I needed to take off two things attached to my handlebars - my heated gear temp controller and my RAM mount.  But I dropped one of the RAM mount's nuts, which bounced (of course it did) through the tiny opening and directly into the frame of the bike.  I could see it, but with like a 1/2" opening only accessible angled through the bars, it was *extremely* difficult to reach the nut.  I got the notification for the upcoming group ride in one hour, but the meetup point was an hour away, so I slapped everything back together and took off.  Riding out, mid corner at speed, I saw both rear handlebar clamp bolts, just bouncing in their sockets.  I'd adjusted the bar position, snugged down the front two, then gotten distracted by fishing for the RAM mount nut until I got the notification. Never even tightened the back ones other than a few threads in by finger.  Fortunately, I always carry a toolkit, so tightening them up was trivial, but... It's a little stressful to see that while right into a high speed corner.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

@Wintersdark when working on your bike take an old towel or bedsheet and cover areas of the bike. Where  something could drop and be a bitch to find and retrieve. Also test rides are a good idea to take after working on it, saves a lot of problems.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

Also test rides are a good idea to take after working on it, saves a lot of problems.

And potentially could save your life!

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Very relatable post and highly recommend a mental walk through of the repair process after completion. I do a quick step by step confirmation of the bolts that were tightened and torqued, clips reattached and so forth before riding out. I have training as an aircraft mechanic and it's right the first time or it doesn't go into service. Tools that were used had to all be accounted for (in their stored tool box locations) before the repair could be signed off... to easy to forget one and have it loose in the plane doing damage. Pilot checklists seem redundant and old at times, but when used, they win every time for getting it done right, especially with such high risk. 

I do the same with riding or even when putting on a helmet, the strap is tightened right then and there, easy to lapse when conversing or while picking up a dropped glove in that moment and forget to strap or clip it. Happened once in my 20's and never again.  And before the humor starts, it's not OCD 😁, just a moment for due diligence.

A couple of the recovery tools that have served me well for many a lost nut and such over the decades of wrenching. 

IMG_4728.thumb.jpg.de96926730477355a75211cf31750dfd.jpg

• Thumbsup 1