What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, AdvRich said:

I have training as an aircraft mechanic and it's right the first time or it doesn't go into service. Tools that were used had to all be accounted for (in their stored tool box locations) before the repair could be signed off.

Many years ago I worked with F-14's in the military and we had the exact same procedure.  Visually and hands-on physically inspect the repair (QA) and inventory all tools.  I still do that to this day.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

@Wintersdark when working on your bike take an old towel or bedsheet and cover areas of the bike. Where  something could drop and be a bitch to find and retrieve. Also test rides are a good idea to take after working on it, saves a lot of problems.

What's funny is I do have a pile of rags that I use - and even used during the installation once I was playing with the banjo bolt (dripping brake fluid is bad) and setting the bars down on the bike (scratches are bad) - but didn't think to put on when I was taking off the RAM mount.  

And yeah, my normal MO is a short test ride after work - but that was kind of the problem here, I cut short the work (and thus did a shitty job; all on me there) in my eagerness to get into that ride.  It's a road I don't often get down as it's pretty far away, but really love riding, and it was a great group of people too.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Many years ago I worked with F-14's in the military and we had the exact same procedure.  Visually and hands-on physically inspect the repair (QA) and inventory all tools.  I still do that to this day.

Same, I worked on F/A-18s. 

Now I work on industrial printers and I am shocked almost daily by the complete lack of QA and tool control. I constantly find allen wrenches, driver bits, and lost hardware inside the machines. Granted, FOD doesn't cause printers to fall out of the sky and kill people, but it still bugs the heck out of me.  

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I guess I'm dating myself but I was involved with older programs going back to PBY, F-102 and F-106 spared, Atlas-Centaur, F111-HB, F-16, Tomahawk SLCM & GCLM, Space Shuttle, Phalanx CIDF, MX ICBM, HEO-B (forerunner to Hubbell), and compartmentalized programs for the USAF that when you asked what you were working on the response was "Do you have a need to know?".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keithu said:

That is a beautiful table. I'm particularly intrigued by the sprocket in the pattern.

The table is a family heirloom that was purchased about 100 yrs ago. It's an enamel topped expandable table (sliding sides that tuck under the top) with a period Art Deco design. The outer chevron plant pattern, along with the coloring, brings to mind the shape of wheat and the sprocket you see is perhaps a reference to a mill wheel...Harvest Table theme?  

Something to ponder during helmet time while crossing, say... Kansas watching the tailing sunrise light up the amber waves of grain and anticipating the tips of the Rockies emerging from the beckoning horizon. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 5/31/2020 at 9:12 AM, roadrash83 said:

What do you think of the BMW?

@roadrash83 

I only spent a little time on them, we rode ~550 miles. About 300 miles on the Tiger and 250 on the BMW. 

My son's thoughts were this.

The Tiger has a much better power plant (it's a triple,  so of course) but felt the rest of the bike was meh. Remember these are rentals so they have lived a hard life. Both had adjustable suspension, but we didn't mess with them much. When you are paying rental rates how much time do  spend dialing it in when you're going to return it in a couple days?

He felt the BMW was a better overall bike but hated the power plant. Said it was buzzy and thrashy and didn't have the same power as the Tiger.

In the end he said he would buy the Tiger and then upgrade it to suit him. VS Buying the BMW.

I really didn't ride them enough to form an opinion. 

• Thanks 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

19 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I guess I'm dating myself but I was involved with older programs going back to PBY, F-102 and F-106 spared, Atlas-Centaur, F111-HB, F-16, Tomahawk SLCM & GCLM, Space Shuttle, Phalanx CIDF, MX ICBM, HEO-B (forerunner to Hubbell), and compartmentalized programs for the USAF that when you asked what you were working on the response was "Do you have a need to know?".

I can't tell you what "air vehicles" I'm working on because... well... I'm still working on them. Not as a mechanic though. 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, koth442 said:

I can't tell you what "air vehicles" I'm working on because... well... I'm still working on them. Not as a mechanic though. 

Back when there still was the Cold War I'd say if I told you I'd have to kill you

But now everything I worked on is historical data and not particularly relevant to today's military industrial establishment

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I guess I'm dating myself but I was involved with older programs going back to PBY...

Yeah, that's pretty far back. I guess I shouldn't feel old because I worked on F/A-18 A-models. 😀

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

Yeah, that's pretty far back. I guess I shouldn't feel old because I worked on F/A-18 A-models. 😀

The F4 FB, F106 AWI and the coolest until the FBW F16 was the H111 swing wing but Flying Boats still are doing their thing!

• Supporting Member

Today I rode through the foothills to the North side of Mount Rainier along the Carbon River.  It was slightly overcast the entire ride and of course the sun came out when I got home.

image.thumb.png.b68be8cb4deb7660812e7f143df24e56.png

image.thumb.png.bb459bbdcc943b42d3c2780a66a19e3c.png

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***