What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

I've got one of those PowerTye cargo nets (that I think you have?) on the way to me.  Looks like a handy item to have.

It comes in very handy.  Mornings and higher elevations can be quite cold so I dress in layers.  Its nice to be able to store my extra clothing as the day warms up as well as carry a lunch without having to install my side bags.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 6/17/2020 at 4:09 AM, tktplz said:

I've had mine since the late 90's. Got my 1st Gen 1 VMax, a 1994, yellow Max in 1998 and found out you need to set the vacuum on the carbs every 4,000 miles or so. If a VMax has a lope at idle it isn't the cams as some would say it's the vacuum is off. It should idle smooth. Having 3 Gen 1 VMaxes I've used it regularly and it's a great tool that I've never had to buy Mercury for. I don't know if you get it with a case now days like in the picture but I had to buy my case separately. Yup, a great tool for sure.....  😁 

Yeah, they come with the case and everything as a package now.  I've had mine for about a decade and 3 bikes, and it's my second favorite Really Specific Tool - next to my Gunsen Colortune clear spark plug, which is sadly not helpful on the modern bikes but is so damn awesome for tuning a carbed bike... and really, just looks damn cool.

12 hours ago, keithu said:

I replaced my front tire today, and also installed EBC HH front brake pads while I had it apart. 

The previous front tire was a Road 5 that lasted 10302 miles. I probably could have squeezed a few more miles out of it, but it was definitely looking a bit ragged and was at the wear bars in a few places. I switched to a Road 5 GT, just to see if there is any difference in feel and/or wear. My rear Road 5 has 5900 miles on it and still plenty of life. I'm not one of those "Always replace tires in pairs" people, I run tires until they're done. 

Is there a actual difference in braking feel with the HH pads?  

7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Wondered the same thing. My stockers work well. You have to remember I've been slowing down a ZRX1100 and a big ole heavy ZX11 at 618 Lbs. At 462 Lbs. this 1 is much easier to slow down than them. But hey if it's a noticable difference.......for 76 bucks I'm in.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, betoney said:

It comes in very handy.  Mornings and higher elevations can be quite cold so I dress in layers.  Its nice to be able to store my extra clothing as the day warms up as well as carry a lunch without having to install my side bags.

I only run my Shad SH36 panniers on overnighters and tours but always have on my Shad SH46 top case and a tank bag.  I don't even notice it and besides clothes, gloves an rain gear, food, drinks, I carry auxiliary tools, 1st said kit, tire plugger and pump, disc lock, maps, cell & GPS cables, etc.  Adds about 17 pounds but worth it as it's waterproof and tamper resistant, and fairly aero too. Plus access is easy and quick.

Think about it...

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

s there a actual difference in braking feel with the HH pads?  

Yes!  Vesrah RJL or DP-Brakes SDP Sport HH+, Spiegler lines, R1 320 rotors and radial master cylinder = 2 finger stoppies toying with the ABS.  Upgraded front and rear suspension and tires pull everything together into a super package.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, they come with the case and everything as a package now.  I've had mine for about a decade and 3 bikes, and it's my second favorite Really Specific Tool - next to my Gunsen Colortune clear spark plug, which is sadly not helpful on the modern bikes but is so damn awesome for tuning a carbed bike... and really, just looks damn cool.

There is indeed. I just replaced FJ front pads with EBC HH and braking went from 3-finger to 1-finger.  Nice linear feel throughout range too.

Worth the $75 USD to me!!

Edited by nhchris
  • Like 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

8 hours ago, betoney said:

Great solution.  Plus my side bags feel  HEAVY even when empty.

I bought a pair of Rok Straps (sort of adjustable bungies)  to hold stuff on the pillion seat  when running without bags.

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Not sure, I haven't ridden anywhere since installing them. I'll probably run an errand on the bike this afternoon.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I only run my Shad SH36 panniers on overnighters and tours but always have on my Shad SH46 top case and a tank bag.  I don't even notice it and besides clothes, gloves an rain gear, food, drinks, I carry auxiliary tools, 1st said kit, tire plugger and pump, disc lock, maps, cell & GPS cables, etc.  Adds about 17 pounds but worth it as it's waterproof and tamper resistant, and fairly aero too. Plus access is easy and quick.

Think about it...

I have always used a tank bag but a small one, 5-7L i think, perfect for wallet, phone, tools and some small stuff.   I cant bring myself to use a top box, I have never liked the looks of them and the only time I would ever carry that much stuff is on a multi-day road trip and would prefer the SH36 bags.   I always travel light, even on my 10-day trip to Utah and Colorado, everything I needed fit in the 2 side bags.

• Thumbsup 1

Today I changed tires. Had a puncture on Michelin Power RS last week. I wasn't mad, they have been worn out, good for maybe 500km more.

So I've ordered some new rubber. Conti Sport Attack 4.

Put them on today, went for a short ride to warm them up for the first time and to remove the not so sticky upper layer.

and after just 52km this happened. 🤬

conti4.thumb.jpg.f40251821b0b5ebcbec982024e2e7a36.jpg

• Sad 5

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

5 minutes ago, krucymucy said:

Today I changed tires. Had a puncture on Michelin Power RS last week. I wasn't mad, they have been worn out, good for maybe 500km more.

So I've ordered some new rubber. Conti Sport Attack 4.

Put them on today, went for a short ride to warm them up for the first time and to remove the not so sticky upper layer.

Dude, I'm sorry for your loss. 

Personally, I would plug it and go. That being said, do what you're comfortable with. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, krucymucy said:

Noooo!!!!!     That really sucks.  

I know I’ll get flamed for even suggesting this, but I would be really tempted to get that one patched and keep using it... 

• Thumbsup 1

14 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Noooo!!!!!     That really sucks.  

I know I’ll get flamed for even suggesting this, but I would be really tempted to get that one patched and keep using it... 

Rears I've gambled on before, no way on fronts.

• Thumbsup 3

I'm considering mushroom type plug which is mounted from the inside out.

• Thumbsup 1

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

• Supporting Member

Same happened to me on a brand new Pirelli Angel GT, I was just scrubbing it in and I stopped for gas when I noticed a large screw just like yours.  I plugged it and kept going.  Its surely not what you want to see happen to a brand new tire though.