What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member

Today the mail man delivered a new TPMS from Sykik.  I haven't ridden with it yet but the set up is as easy as installing the valve caps on the air stems, it automatically pairs and has an auto shut-off after 5 minutes of no movement.  I will have to wait to determine longevity.

SRTP300pic1.jpg?v=1541017726

Tire pressure monitor for motorcycles. with 1.5" water-resistant monitor...

image.thumb.png.ba07a392ef12c95024d3c13fbb0a1568.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Noooo!!!!!     That really sucks.  

I know I’ll get flamed for even suggesting this, but I would be really tempted to get that one patched and keep using it... 

I'd plug that and wear that tire our without thinking twice.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

Let’s go Brandon

Got this the other week.  Perfect fit for pillion seat. Two straps underneath,  easy and solid fix. Bit more space for stuff. Imo there look a lot better than tank bags. 

Held Iconic Evo Large Expandable Rear Bag - Black from the UK's...

20200612_151332.jpg

20200612_151351.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

Today the mail man delivered a new TPMS from Sykik.  I haven't ridden with it yet but the set up is as easy as installing the valve caps on the air stems, it automatically pairs and has an auto shut-off after 5 minutes of no movement.  I will have to wait to determine longevity.

SRTP300pic1.jpg?v=1541017726

Tire pressure monitor for motorcycles. with 1.5" water-resistant monitor...

image.thumb.png.ba07a392ef12c95024d3c13fbb0a1568.png

Curious to hear how accurate it is and if you have leakage from the caps, which to me is a huge worry.  I presume the caps depress the valve, so there could be leakage, if they crack but stay on the leakage could be fast.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, betoney said:

I have always used a tank bag but a small one, 5-7L i think, perfect for wallet, phone, tools and some small stuff.   I cant bring myself to use a top box, I have never liked the looks of them and the only time I would ever carry that much stuff is on a multi-day road trip and would prefer the SH36 bags.   I always travel light, even on my 10-day trip to Utah and Colorado, everything I needed fit in the 2 side bags.

I have the same SWM Engage tank bag and an even smaller Nelson Rigg mag mount bag that works very well.  I know what you mean about the looks of a top case but the cops think your a legal eagle, and I'm all function over form.  In urban areas I don't feel comfortable with strapped on gear, maybe a decent tail bag.  Nelson-Rigg makes a "commuter" series that is real nice; I have the smaller "sport" on my VTR.

https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-CL-1060-ST2-Black-Commuter-Motorcycle/dp/B07M719PW9/ref=asc_df_B07M719PW9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=318291547883&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16057728541664342458&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021475&hvtargid=pla-623573929893&psc=1

When I tour, I need/want the kitchen sink as I'm a what if? type.  Plus if you have the room, use it.  Like a mini battery jump starter, walking shoes and sandals, etc, etc...  You can always leave the luggage at the hotel for day rides but I don't push when I'm enroute, especially in hot or poor weather.

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yes!  Vesrah RJL or DP-Brakes SDP Sport HH+, Spiegler lines, R1 320 rotors and radial master cylinder = 2 finger stoppies toying with the ABS.  Upgraded front and rear suspension and tires pull everything together into a super package.

Well, with all that for sure there's going to be a big difference.  I'm wondering through if *just* the pads is significant.  

9 hours ago, micah2074 said:

I'd plug that and wear that tire our without thinking twice.

For sure.  Tires are expensive, and plugs - particularly in the meat of the tire like that - last just fine.  I've literally never had a plug fail, car or bike.  

8 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Got this the other week.  Perfect fit for pillion seat. Two straps underneath,  easy and solid fix. Bit more space for stuff. Imo there look a lot better than tank bags. 

Held Iconic Evo Large Expandable Rear Bag - Black from the UK's...

Yeah, these are my go-to as well.  I've got a Nelson Rigg 1060-S tail bag; would like to replace it with a 1060-ST2 (slightly larger version, expands enough to hold a full face helmet, whereas mine expands but not quite enough).  When packed full of stuff travelling, it provides wonderful lumbar support.  Nice to be able to lean back against something!  Sadly, a no-go if you want to ride two-up.

Commuter Sport Motorcycle Tail/Seat Bag Motorcycle Tail Bags...

I really kind of dislike tank bags, even understanding their advantages - not being in the way of mounting/dismounting, and being visible.   I think they look silly, and get in the way of really aggressive riding.  I probably should get a small one, though, if for no other reason than be a better, really waterproof phone mount that doesn't risk my phone's camera. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Well, with all that for sure there's going to be a big difference.  I'm wondering through if *just* the pads is significant.  

Yes they do, GG vs HH, the latter is a win-win for a few dollars more...

On 5/23/2020 at 6:25 PM, Wintersdark said:

Installed some Grip Puppies.  I've heard a lot about these, but never tried them.  I have a lot of issues with numbness in my right hand (regardless of whether I put pressure on that wrist or not), and I'm hoping the wider diameter solves that problem.  

20200523_165221.jpg

I like a big grip whether it be motorcycling, tennis or what have you.  Grip puppies were the first thing I did to my GT.  The added cushion and vibration damping is a bonus.

900km ride, with 14 bikes in total.  Roughly speaking, Calgary AB -> Bragg Creek AB -> Fernie BC -> Radium Hot Springs BC -> Calgary AB.  Despite rain for a couple hours of it, it was a really fantastic ride, and my first near-iron-butt ride with the Tracer.  I was really hesitant in joining in, as while the group in question is full of great people it's a very large loose group overall and thus rides end up full of basically random people.  For small rides and such this is great, you have some fun, meet a few new people and some people you already know.  But on a big, all day ride like this, I was concerned.  A rule of thumb in ride size is that the more people you've got, the more likely one (or god forbid, more) are going to be The Problem People, and on a ride like that, it's pretty easy for problems to occur.  Thankfully, none did, speeds where often excessive, and windy highways through the Rocky Mountains where as wonderful as windy highways through the Rocky Mountains can be.

Thoughts on the Tracer and it's accessories, having finally spend a full day in the saddle (pretty much all of which is common knowledge here, but whatev's):

• The seat is better than my MT07's seat was, no contest.  But it's still definitely a weak point on the bike
  • It's really nice to not be the guy who determines when gas stops have to be.  Really nice.  Yay for a decent sized tank!
  • Grip Puppies are bloody amazing things.  They don't get soggy in the rain, and they really help the hands out on a long ride - both in vibration damping and in just being bigger and thus easier to hold.  No numbness in the hand, which has been a struggle for me for decades.  Magic.
  • I'm really, really happy with how performant the Tracer is, in terms of acceleration, cornering, and handling at speed, particularly when compared directly with a lot of much more expensive bikes.  We spent the vast majority of the ride at 140-160kph/85-100mph, and the Tracer held up like a champ everywhere.  
  • God almighty, the stock windshield is hot garbage.  I've really got to find myself a shorty windshield I like and just toss the stock one.  
  • Road 5's are fantastic in the rain.  Even at high speeds on winding mountain roads, absolutely planted, no vagueness or hydroplaning at all.  

We had a particular bit of excitement.  We're doing ~140kph on a 2 lane road, fortunately on a straight stretch.  A guy in a pickup about half a kilometer ahead of us had a 10' 2x4 bounce out of the back of his truck, and end up landing lengthwise across the road totally blocking our lane, the shoulder, and even part of the oncoming lane.  And of course, not a brand new 2x4, no.  An old one.  With dozens of nails, pointing up out of the surface.  I mean, just a normal 2x4 would be no big deal at all - just ride over it - so of course that couldn't be the case. 

14 bikes, at speed, lane totally obstructed by a tire-destroying huge 2x4.  

Thankfully, everyone was attentive, and while a few elected to ride over it (largely for want of better choices) nobody hit nails.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

We spent the vast majority of the ride at 140-160kph/85-100mph, and the Tracer held up like a champ everywhere.

I have always avoided going to Canada to ride because the police are well known for being overly militant on speed enforcement, is that not the case anymore?  I have several friends and family members who have been pulled over and ticketed for just 2-5mph over the posted limit, in cars and on bikes.  They were also warned that 15 over will result in their vehicle being impounded.  Is that because they are U.S. residents?  or is that the same with locals as well? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, betoney said:

I have always avoided going to Canada to ride because the police are well known for being overly militant on speed enforcement, is that not the case anymore?  I have several friends and family members who have been pulled over and ticketed for just 2-5mph over the posted limit, in cars and on bikes.  They were also warned that 15 over will result in their vehicle being impounded.  Is that because they are U.S. residents?  or is that the same with locals as well? 

Dem Canucks see us comun!

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, betoney said:

I am guessing that in your case 'Canada' means BC or AB. It probably depends on jurisdiction, time of year/week and individual officer (they are people too). I suspect that you'd have to do well in excess of 15mph (24kph) over the posted limit, with some aggressive foolishness for your vehicle to be impounded. On most rural roads in Ontario, 20kph over would be a pass... 30kph you're taking a chance (ticket or a good chat). I ride in nearby states now again, and try to stick to local laws as possible. I am a guest flying a maple leaf on back of my bike, so tearing through a sleepy village isn't a great idea.

Also find that whenever people tell stories about being pulled over for speeding... it's always 5kph over, and never 30kph... 😜.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

My wife suggested I needed a break from work (and perhaps away from the house for a while), so this past Thursday I took a way off work and road up into the southeastern Tennessee mountains with stops at Sewanee and Chattanooga.  All together, a nice combination of curves - going out - and high speed straightaways - coming home.  Five hour ride round trip in perfect weather.

IMG_20200618_113020747_HDR~2.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

My clip on screen spoiler decided to shed a fixing today. Good job I carry a cargo net under the seat. @betoney, it was the type you posted a while ago. Brilliant little additional hooks on the main hooks which allow you to tension the net to grab awkward shapes well.

20200621_123725.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)