What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member

You don't have to paint titanium okay take a step down and do it in aluminum 6061 T6

My very trick Shad pannier and top case mounts are made out of steel and while well-designed I know how heavy they are, at least the cases are plastic and really light

6 hours ago, trevinator said:

that way, when its on the center stand, it can double as a work surface, table or beer holder.

Those are enormous!

I've been planning a solo expedition myself for some time (plans delayed by the *$&@ing plague) but this is something I hadn't considered, but am now giving some really serious thought to.  I'm not interested in swapping out the stock hardcases personally, however, some sort of small fold-out table would be very welcome if I do go the camping route.  Something I've noted with my Tracer is that it makes a very, very poor table/chair as it stands, everything is sloped, angled, or otherwise just not good for holding on to anything, but I also don't want to bring along much extra stuff as tearing through twisties is critical to fun :)  

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Those are enormous!

I've been planning a solo expedition myself for some time (plans delayed by the *$&@ing plague) but this is something I hadn't considered, but am now giving some really serious thought to.  I'm not interested in swapping out the stock hardcases personally, however, some sort of small fold-out table would be very welcome if I do go the camping route.  Something I've noted with my Tracer is that it makes a very, very poor table/chair as it stands, everything is sloped, angled, or otherwise just not good for holding on to anything, but I also don't want to bring along much extra stuff as tearing through twisties is critical to fun :)  

Keeping everything minimal is crucial for me as well and for obvious reasons.  For a short one or two nights camping getaway I have what I consider my essential gear sorted and it all fits into the OEM panniers with the bulky items (2 man tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, etc) fitting into a drysack that I tie down to the rear seat with ROK straps.

My mini setup for the solo camping adventure includes a lightweight chair and table that both fold up into their own bags for transport and weigh less than a kilogram each.   The table is not super stable but does the job.  Sure you can sit on the ground or a handy log or rock but there's nothing like a nice comfortable chair to relax into while watching the sun go down as you sip on your favourite beverage.

Here's a couple of options to perhaps consider....  I have all of these and the smaller chair is surprisingly comfortable and very small.  The larger chair weighs ~750grams all up.

1883162119_largerchair.JPG.a13ae80815194b79e9235e2727cce9c7.JPG121411559_minichair.JPG.f823759deb563fee84a78191b887a6a9.JPGtable.JPG.2e4935110630a06c28bc35b6d74d0380.JPG

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, trevinator said:

i'll just be happy when they have a coat of paint on them! the little bit of extra weight shouldnt be an issue. if anything, it will help with the wheelies. 😄

That it will! I've noticed my TC light blinks a bit more since I installed my aux fuel cell.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You don't have to paint titanium okay take a step down and do it in aluminum 6061 T6

That is true about titanium unless you plan to ride in hotter temps. Titanium will corrode above 900F (~500C).

Do paint aluminum, though. It readily corrodes at more normal riding temps.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, keithu said:

I installed a new chain and sprockets yesterday. My chain wasn't completely gone yet, but I didn't think it would last through the Butt Lite Rally in September so I swapped it out now. I went down one tooth in the rear to 44T. I had hoped to also go up to 17T in the front, but the local shop couldn't find one in stock at any of their suppliers. Oh well. I was hoping to reduce highway RPMs (again, for Butt Lite) which this will do a little bit, not much though. We'll see how I like it. 

I just got a Vortex 17 from Sprocket Center. Shipping took about 5 days.

I really enjoy the reduced RPM.  At 70 mph I'm around 4500 rpm.  Noticeable difference.

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

10 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Keeping everything minimal is crucial for me as well and for obvious reasons.  For a short one or two nights camping getaway I have what I consider my essential gear sorted and it all fits into the OEM panniers with the bulky items (2 man tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, etc) fitting into a drysack that I tie down to the rear seat with ROK straps.

The larger chair weighs ~750grams all up.

1883162119_largerchair.JPG.a13ae80815194b79e9235e2727cce9c7.JPG121411559_minichair.JPG.f823759deb563fee84a78191b887a6a9.JPGtable.JPG.2e4935110630a06c28bc35b6d74d0380.JPG

I now use the larger chair. A bit more bulk but a lot more comfort, kinder on my back after a day on bike. Mine’s a vango, no plastic joints and cheaper than others in the uk. With that and an exped ul9 Mat, I’m sorted for comfort. 

11EAE55E-2A91-43EB-A05A-F5B8E4048C43.jpeg

Edited by 3way
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, nhchris said:

I just got a Vortex 17 from Sprocket Center. Shipping took about 5 days.

I really enjoy the reduced RPM.  At 70 mph I'm around 4500 rpm.  Noticeable difference.

I took the FJ out for a little test ride during a lunchtime errand today. Even with the relatively small change (down one tooth on the rear to 44T) it made a noticeable difference. Acceleration is still zippy when I need it to be, but RPMs at cruising speed are a bit lower and more relaxed.

I expected it to be better at 75mph, but I also like it better at 25-40mph around town. 25-30mph used to put me into the lurchiest part of the power band, not great for puttering through downtown or a neighborhood. Now the RPMs are just a hair lower in a smoother spot. I'm also more comfortable cruising up to 40mph in 2nd year; normally I would always upshift to 3rd around 35mph in city riding. 

While riding around it occurred to me that in 30+ years of riding motorcycles this is the first time I've ever modified final gearing. I've replaced many chains and sprockets, and I've also played extensively with bicycle gearing. But every previous motorcycle chain/sprocket swap was with stock gearing.  

• Thumbsup 1

49 minutes ago, keithu said:

I took the FJ out for a little test ride during a lunchtime errand today. Even with the relatively small change (down one tooth on the rear to 44T) it made a noticeable difference. Acceleration is still zippy when I need it to be, but RPMs at cruising speed are a bit lower and more relaxed.

I think gearing is like everything else about a motorcycle:  One size does not necessarily fit all riding styles.  So why not tune gearing to your liking just as you might your suspension, ergos, tires, etc.?

My FJ accelerated like a rocket with stock gearing and it STILL accelerates like a rocket with a 17-tooth front. From a dead stop the slightly higher gearing requires slightly different clutch feed in, but once I've fully engaged the clutch and am rolling 5 mph, full  throttle roll on has the usual dramatic result.

Plus I can carry 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears a bit longer while that triple sings it awesome tune!

And it is so easy to do.  If you don't like it you can always throw the 16 back on in 15 minutes and readjust the stock-length chain.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, nhchris said:

I think gearing is like everything else about a motorcycle:  One size does not necessarily fit all riding styles.  So why not tune gearing to your liking just as you might your suspension, ergos, tires, etc.?

Exactly, the option is there, take advantage of it! 👍  On every bike I have owned in the past 30 years, I have always gone +2 on the rear for quicker acceleration and it works wonders in slow, tight single track on a dirt bike, FAR less clutch work in slow speed riding.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

21 minutes ago, betoney said:

Exactly, the option is there, take advantage of it! 👍  On every bike I have owned in the past 30 years, I have always gone +2 on the rear for quicker acceleration and it works wonders in slow, tight single track on a dirt bike, FAR less clutch work in slow speed riding.

Yup.  

Like @keithu I've never adjusted final gearing on a bike.  In fact, I've never replaced a rear sprocket on a bike excepting during initial rebuild on ragged-on old bikes, which just got stock sprockets as... well, why change something when you haven't ridden the bike yet?  Despite riding a lot, if you take care of sprockets, they last a very, very long time.  Also, lots of shaft drive in my history.

It's clearly highly personal though.  To me, acceleration is critically important, and I'm totally indifferent to cruising RPM.  I'm happy cruising at 8k, if need be - and that's where I was fine holding my MT07 at 100mph for hours at a time.  But acceleration... I'm WOT from a roll at least once every single day.  I'm still kind of gloaty about absolutely spanking that (shockingly sexy) BMW R9T 😃 

What stands out to me is what a significant difference to the total feel of the bike, at all speeds and RPM ranges, a small gearing change makes.  I can't believe I've never done that before.  It's super cheap, too, a 15 minute change.  It's clearly one of those low-cost simple gems that have an absolutely outstanding impact on how a bike feels.

TBH, I'm kind of considering going down a tooth in the front as well, because... well.  Teehee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 3way said:

I now use the larger chair. A bit more bulk but a lot more comfort, kinder on my back after a day on bike. Mine’s a vango, no plastic joints and cheaper than others in the uk. With that and an exped ul9 Mat, I’m sorted for comfort. 

Any recommendations on such tents?  Particularly in terms of being quick to set up/tear down?