What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member

Even with the new clutch cable I recommend replacing it as a wear item, probably on the same schedule as valve adjustments. They aren't expensive and when you have the bike apart for valves it's easy to do the clutch cable at the same time.

18 hours ago, MemphisTracer said:

MZS brake and clutch levers. Cheap ($27 on ebay) and easy mod. Not sure if I like the short clutch lever quite yet. I do like the look though.

levers.jpg

brake.jpg

clutch.jpg

Very cool, I have the same levers and same opinion on the clutch lever. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

Installed the puig touring screen and went to test ride, it’s so much better in terms of wind buffeting, am glad a worthwhile investment. Wind now shoot just above my eyebrow and my shark nano helmet feels premium! 

AA426B31-E7E7-489D-B426-261EC68DA780.jpeg

F2581CEB-50FB-4414-807B-4D1D8A861E55.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

5 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Removed the chain guard, with the dupont chain wax, it's moot anyhow.
Waiting for my 3d chain to show up.

50215055786_e27aa96b16_b.jpg

Not sure what your laws are there, but here, I'd be failed on my annual MOT test (roadworthiness sort of test) for no chainguard.
One particularly petty tester a few years back failed my CR250 Enduro bike for no chainguard, so I had to make one out of bits of bracketry and an old gs suzuki chainguard, the bike was utterly dangerous with it all wobblying around, but passed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stew said:

Not sure what your laws are there

Zero, zilch, nada. 'Murica.
Seems odd, it's not going to prevent any damage should the chain let loose and want to ruin your day, it's el cheapo abs plastic.  I don't see it flinging anything in motorists way either.

What's their reasoning across the pond?

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Removed the chain guard, with the dupont chain wax, it's moot anyhow.

Where are you finding the Dupont chain wax?  I have checked a few local stores and cant find it.  I would rather buy it local than mail order every time.

Thanks

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Zero, zilch, nada. 'Murica.
Seems odd, it's not going to prevent any damage should the chain let loose and want to ruin your day, it's el cheapo abs plastic.  I don't see it flinging anything in motorists way either.

What's their reasoning across the pond?

I have no idea, but I'm like that about almost every rule/regulation/law nowadays. I'm serious, I was so nervous riding the CR back for it's re-test, with all this bodged on, shaking around , chrome chainguard flapping in the breeze. (obviously it was off and in the bin once I was round the corner with my pass certificate.

The latest thing has been sneakily changing lots of the 60mph limits down to 50mph, with no warning. I think it's just a way to catch more people unexpectedly, thus collecting lots of lovely cash from fining them :)

1 minute ago, Stew said:

The latest thing has been sneakily changing lots of the 60mph limits down to 50mph, with no warning. I think it's just a way to catch more people unexpectedly, thus collecting lots of lovely cash from fining them :)

Lol, our state has to put a large orange sign above the speed limit if it's been changed up to a full year after.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, betoney said:

Where are you finding the Dupont chain wax?  I have checked a few local stores and cant find it.  I would rather buy it local than mail order every time.

Thanks

Wally world, lowes, homeless depot... never see it at the local auto parts however. My "local" moto dealership has it as well.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, Stew said:

Not sure what your laws are there, but here, I'd be failed on my annual MOT test (roadworthiness sort of test) for no chainguard.

I'm sure there are some states that have inspections, but in a lot of them there is NOTHING for smog or safety, automobiles either.  You could literally be driving a death trap on the highway and all you do is renew your license tab annually.  Unless parts are falling off of it or it is on fire, it is good to go on Americas highways and byways.

• Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 minute ago, betoney said:

I'm sure there are some states that have inspections, but in a lot of them there is NOTHING for smog or safety, automobiles either.  You could literally be driving a death trap on the highway and all you do is renew your license tab annually.  Unless parts are falling off of it or it is on fire, it is good to go on Americas highways and byways.

You would be amazed at the regulations for the annual test here then. Noise, emissions, headlight height blah blah blah, it is a nerve wracking experience. Even if the bike/car is too dirty, they can refuse to test it.
I had a verbal warning for having stickers on my windshield one year, and was told 'windshields are for seeing through'. What, on a vstrom? No thanks.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Stew said:

You would be amazed at the regulations for the annual test here then. Noise, emissions, headlight height blah blah blah, it is a nerve wracking experience. Even if the bike/car is too dirty, they can refuse to test it.
I had a verbal warning for having stickers on my windshield one year, and was told 'windshields are for seeing through'. What, on a vstrom? No thanks.

You sure it wasn’t the fluffy dice and nodding dog he failed it on ? Ha ha.  Not so bad down here Stew, a matter of finding shops that deal and work on older bikes, not Asda type dealers where they only know how to write up a finance form. Mind you, a few years back, when I took in my Mille R V twin (kitted with race akro’s) in for an mot, it was in a really small brick garage. He asked me to start it up. Oh well, if you insist. Think he’s still in therapy. 

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Like 1

Just now, Tripletrouble said:

Not so bad down here Stew, a matter of finding shops that deal and work on older bikes, not Asda type dealers where they only know how to write up a finance form. Mind you, a few years back, when I took in my Mille R V twin (kitted with race akro’s) in for an mot, it was in a really small brick garage. He asked me to start it up. Think he’s still in therapy. 

When I lived down near Mansfield, there was a famous mot place, known as 'the blind man of Bolsover', where you could be guaranteed a pass if you were able to ride the bike there.
And when I lived near Watford, there was a place that we'd wait till it rained, and park the bikes outside. The guy would pass them without them every having moved, since he couldn't be bothered going outside in the rain.
Ahhh, the good old days.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

I really don’t mind the mot on a bike, it’s the car I dread, It’s old, so emissions are a worry.  I’m happy to help reduce pollution, but as long as your rich, you can drive round London in a 3 ton Range Rover with a 5 litre V8 engine, whilst you can’t use a tiny electric scooter. Thanks Boris, nice one.

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Like 2