What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Emissions aren’t checked on  a bike @Stew, somewhat bizarrely when they are picky about lots of other things.

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 minute ago, BBB said:

Emissions aren’t checked on  a bike @Stew, somewhat bizarrely when they are picky about lots of other things.

Cheers. I assumed they were, since the car does. I'm sure it won't be too long though :(
My brother in law is an mot inspecter/tester, and he keeps me up to date on a lot of the insanity and hoops that the testers have to jump through. And he would never pass a vehicle that wasn't a proper pass.
Did you know that DVSA can turn up unannounced at any mot test station and demand any vehicle that has been passed be re-tested, to check the testers are not at it?

It’s all much tighter now, they lose their testing license if caught passing sub-standard vehicles. 

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

6 minutes ago, BBB said:

It’s all much tighter now, they lose their testing license if caught passing sub-standard vehicles. 

As it should be. I've no issue with rational testing, but I've had a fail for surface rust on 2 bolts before, and my verbal for stickers on my windshield. Thats what gets me mad.
If there is something unsafe with my bike, dodgy bearings or whatever, that I am unaware of, I'd rather know.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Stew said:

Not sure what your laws are there, but here, I'd be failed on my annual MOT test (roadworthiness sort of test) for no chainguard.
One particularly petty tester a few years back failed my CR250 Enduro bike for no chainguard, so I had to make one out of bits of bracketry and an old gs suzuki chainguard, the bike was utterly dangerous with it all wobblying around, but passed.

Wait, what, CR250 Enduro?!!  You guys could buy a street (road) legal CR250 off the showroom floor?!  Or do they let you add lights, etc to convert one?  We never had a stock street legal CR250 or 500 TMK.  Now people did (do) get away with it in some states (and sometimes got away transferring from one state after they got papers to another) but not often.  I've been questioned why my RD400 was street legal.

How often are these "MOT" (Mother Of Turd?) inspections?  In Illinois, cars get emission testing only; 4 years after new and 2 years thereafter.

I used to restore AJS and Matchless basket cases for side cash when I lived in San Diego and it was a PITA getting them titled let alone street tags.  The DMV robot would ask for turn signals until I'd convince them back in the day we didn't need, nor did they offer, any stikin' badges turn signals.  My personal Matchless G80CS I converted to street had a dummy head light and a 9V battery for the brake light.  Needless to say I tried to be home before dark but carried a flashlight (torch to you) JIC. 

BA 1960 Matchless G80CS Cafe circa 1979 c.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

As long as I had to replace my rear Dunlop RS3, I decided to lube the swing arm and shock linkage bearings, and reroute the feed line of my Lubeman* chain oiler from outside the swing arm to inside.  I'm not really happy with the Lubeman and don't want another ScottOiler, so I plan to buy Tutoro Trek kit.  It appears I will be able to just swap out the Lubeman recevoir for that of the Tutoro, and may even retain the Lubeman dual feeder.

*People have complained the Lubeman oils up the rear on its own when at higher elevations.

I thought my install was pretty sano and trick.  Thoughts?

20200703_162143.jpg

20200811_130823.jpg

20200811_133541.jpg

20200811_133738.jpg

20200811_110031.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

32 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Wait, what, CR250 Enduro?!!  You guys could buy a street (road) legal CR250 off the showroom floor?!  Or do they let you add lights, etc to convert one?  We never had a stock street legal CR250 or 500 TMK.  Now people did (do) get away with it in some states (and sometimes got away transferring from one state after they got papers to another) but not often.  I've been questioned why my RD400 was street legal.

How often are these "MOT" (Mother Of Turd?) inspections?  In Illinois, cars get emission testing only; 4 years after new and 2 years thereafter.

I used to restore AJS and Matchless basket cases for side cash when I lived in San Diego and it was a PITA getting them titled let alone street tags.  The DMV robot would ask for turn signals until I'd convince them back in the day we didn't need, nor did they offer, any stikin' badges turn signals.  My personal Matchless G80CS I converted to street had a dummy head light and a 9V battery for the brake light.  Needless to say I tried to be home before dark but carried a flashlight (torch to you) JIC. 

It was a motocross CR250 , that I converted to run lights and a horn and a wee bicycle digital speedometer, so it was road legal. I had a huge clarke tank on it as well, cos I used to ride it to enduro races, race, then ride it home again :)  Only trouble was I had pure knobblies on it, and had it geared to the point where it would max out at around 65-70mph. I loved that bike. It was a stealth bike, yamaha front mudguard etc so nobody could ever work out what it was.

I've a photo somewhere I think.

MoT is every 12 months, from when the vehicle hits 3 yrs old.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Stew said:

As it should be. I've no issue with rational testing, but I've had a fail for surface rust on 2 bolts before, and my verbal for stickers on my windshield. Thats what gets me mad.
If there is something unsafe with my bike, dodgy bearings or whatever, that I am unaware of, I'd rather know.

You got to be kidding rust on a couple of bolts?!

I can't believe they check cars that carefully They put them on a lift and look for rust on the underside, give me a break!

As another has said if it gets down the road without dropping parts or hitting something very often they get away with it unless of course you're black or Hispanic in the wrong neighborhood. A Brother could be driving a new Cracker Lexus SUV with MAGA sticker on the bumper AS WELL our President Trump next to him on a bright sunny day, and still end up in handcuffs if not worse.

I'm not totally aware but I understand in countries like Germany and maybe others they have requirements that you have to run the stock tires brake pads hoses the whole nine yards you can't make mods now that's frugged up!

We could use some of the laws in Scandinavian countries about drunk driving it's unbelievable how many people get away with it multiple times until they kill someone. Now I've known people who smoke grass and ride and say they fly low better. I've never tried it but who knows😚

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

You could literally be driving a death trap on the highway and all you do is renew your license tab annually. 

Not even that in Oregon. License tabs are only renewed every other year here.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Brought it home from it's first valve adjustment.  The exhaust valves were tight, they tell me.

• Thumbsup 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Supporting Member

Swapped out my "Pussy Grips" for some "Grip Puppies".  While the Grip Puppies are thicker than the Pussy Grips in the photos, I don't know if it's because they're new or if the PGs were thinner in the first place.

Grips.thumb.jpg.a6cd4d3babe3017ad43fbda346fa81e8.jpgGrips1.thumb.jpg.790dfc1f85af39aca38f8d2fe423e412.jpgGrips2.thumb.jpg.8f7fb0aea449e701936fb2c5af6497d5.jpg

Also put some nets in the lids of the panniers.

Net.thumb.jpg.275965fad63a1bfc97cce04438786b7c.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Also put some nets in the lids of the panniers.

Net.thumb.jpg.275965fad63a1bfc97cce04438786b7c.jpg

I like the net idea, are those a specific brand?  What kind of white hooks are those?

Thanks

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, BBB said:

Yes, that’s right. Also, I’m not sure ? that they regulate noisy exhausts on cars, as long as they aren’t leaking, but they do on bikes, although it seems to be down to tester, not a decibel meter. Aftermarket cans (Scorpion as an example) now have to have baffles bolted in place, not bolt in optional, and an E number printed somewhere. My old akra’s used to have‘ race use only’ on straps, so I drilled out rivets and turned them inside out. It won’t be long before everything’s stamped and bikes will have to be bog standard me thinks.

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Thumbsup 1