What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member

Removed both wheels, swingarm and shock. Need tires so I figured I'd do some other stuff since we're gonna get a little weather. 

The first time I removed the swingarm the long bolt had a lot of crud on it. This time it's pretty clean.

Sending the shock in for service. Thinking of selling it. It's a Nitron R1 with a 600 lb. spring. I had the OEM shock rebuilt a couple of years ago. Curious to see how it feels again compared to Nitron. 

I'll probably change the brake pads. I've had some new ones for a while waiting to be installed.

I'm getting Michelin Pilot Power 2C tires. Big step for me. I've had Shinkos and Roadsmart 2's. The Dunlops were borderline dangerous. Sketchy in the twisties. No grip.

Props to Pitbull stands. The triple tree stand is great. I removed both wheels and it's stable. 

Edited by fr8dog
add more stuff
  • Like 1

God, that looks awesome.  It's at least not snowy here now, but not nearly that nice looking.  Everything is brown and dead.  Stupid Calgary.

Got to track down a parasitic power drain issue - battery dies after ~4-5 days not riding, so something is funky.  Quality multimeter time required.  Meant to do it today, but exhaustion won.  Tomorrow.  Maybe even swap out my plugs as well - have had new ones around for a while now but still haven't actually gotten to installing them.  Just such a PITA to remove all the fairings and of course the first time removing Yamaha coils is always a nightmare.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 1

Installed R&G Racing clutch cover on my FJ 09.

I swapped emails with R&G regarding the quality of replacement bolts supplied with their covers in which they explained that the replacement bolts they provide are made of soft metal designed to bend during an impact rather than break.  Made sense to me so  I ordered a clutch cover. 

The instructions provided indicated their longer replacement bolts should be torqued to 7 ft lbs, which I tried to do.

I read about problems with their hardware "stripping" during install and now understand how this occurs.  The 4mm hex heads of the bolts are easy to strip if you do not press hard on the tool to keep the hex forcefully seated while tightening.  I partially stripped the heads on two of four bolt by not doing this.

But the cover is on and I have no plans to remove it.  If it requires removal  I'll need to destroy the cover so I can grab the stripped bolts with a Vice Grip and twist em out.  Based on this experienced I've decided not to order the engine cover.  Those soft bolts are just too much of a PIA to deal with.

There was no warning about the soft bolt heads in the installation instructions and I suppose I should have been smarter when trying to tighten them.  Ah well, lesson learned!

Nice Fit...

cover.JPG

Ouch...

bolt.JPG

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

What did I do?
Went to go for a long ride, gopro on, mic in helmet, and away we go.

Fuel light flashing, not a problem , there's a good 30 miles left.

8 miles later , I had a couple of hours sit around until a farmer took pity on my weeping sobbing body and gave me some petrol to get home.

I knew I was giving the bike a load of throttle yesterday, but man, I just burned through a LOT of petrol in very little time.

Lesson learned, if it is flashing, go to the petrol station!
DOH!

:)

• Thumbsup 1

49 minutes ago, Stew said:

I had a couple of hours sit around until a farmer took pity on my weeping sobbing body and gave me some petrol to get home.

My comiserations, it was a cold day to be hanging around. never ran out of petrol on the bike but did spent a couple of hours one day standing in the rain in the Samy Ling budist car park waiting for the breakdown truck when the stator burned out on my CBF1000.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HGP61 said:

My comiserations, it was a cold day to be hanging around. never ran out of petrol on the bike but did spent a couple of hours one day standing in the rain in the Samy Ling budist car park waiting for the breakdown truck when the stator burned out on my CBF1000.

Aye, it was lovely, but my toes got it bad, just starting to warm up now :)

Completely my fault for assuming.

Strange thing was that the farmer that helped me out rides trackdays :) No Limits Racing, so we had  great chat about how it works with them etc.
Then , I stopped off in Castle Douglas for an Americano to warm up, at my friend's wee cafe. Where he has redone the window display....

20201107_132832.jpg

20201107_152957.jpg

20201107_153018.jpg

20201107_153645.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Stew said:

Fuel light flashing, not a problem , there's a good 30 miles left.

8 miles later , I had a couple of hours sit around until a farmer took pity on my weeping sobbing body and gave me some petrol to get home.

Fortunately, I have never experienced that myself, I have been close a few times.  You're lucky it wasn't dumping rain. 

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***