What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Beautiful!'  Im envious.  I haven't been up there since April 1980.  And you know what happened only a month later...

I am fortunate to live very close so I ride up there a lot, the lower part of Spirit Lake Highway follows the Toutle River then its nothing but scenic viewpoints all the way up.  The ride up to the observation center takes 2 hours from my house so its perfect for a shorter day ride, it doesn't hurt that the pavement is in perfect condition and if you time it right then there is almost zero traffic, just fast sweepers the entire way.  😎

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hey @betoney,  I'm guessing you are all recovered from you shoulder surgery if you are doing rides like that.  Great and let's hear it for modern orthopedic medicine!

• Thanks 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

I am fortunate to live very close so I ride up there a lot, the lower part of Spirit Lake Highway follows the Toutle River then its nothing but scenic viewpoints all the way up.  The ride up to the observation center takes 2 hours from my house so its perfect for a shorter day ride, it doesn't hurt that the pavement is in perfect condition and if you time it right then there is almost zero traffic, just fast sweepers the entire way.  😎

That is indeed a great ride. Another route, that is very close is NFD 25 (National Forest Road), from Randal south to Carson, right at the Columbia river. It is closed during the winter, but Spring to mid-Fall it is a great ride through the mountains on some fun super twisty roads. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 8.19.31 AM.png

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, DavidS said:

That is indeed a great ride. Another route, that is very close is NFD 25 (National Forest Road), from Randal south to Carson, right at the Columbia river. It is closed during the winter, but Spring to mid-Fall it is a great ride through the mountains on some fun super twisty roads.

That is indeed a fantastic ride, unfortunately the pavement has deteriorated enough that you need a 4x4 in spots.  I drove up to Windy Ridge this summer and seriously thought I was going to tear the steering rack off of my car.  Its shady enough that you can't see the frost heaves and massive sink holes until its too late, on a motorcycle it is outright hazardous in spots. 

We used to ride that on a regular basis but until it is repaired or maintained we wont go back.  Someone on here a few years ago reported destroying his oil pan while riding there and needed a tow truck to haul him to a dealership.  I really wish they would get it fixed.

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Hey @betoney,  I'm guessing you are all recovered from you shoulder surgery if you are doing rides like that.  Great and let's hear it for modern orthopedic medicine!

The surgery was on my elbow and forearm, its not 100% pain-free and I don't think it ever will be but I'm well enough to be back at work and function on a daily basis. I expect it will be like an aching arthritic joint from here on out.

• Premium Member

Betoney, man what did you specifically have done to your elbow and forearm because I've been putting that off for 30 years so the scar tissue is probably screwed up doing anything decent in there even with today's technology but I'm just curious. I know how joints hurt and no matters what's done it's rare your 100% again.

I had my spinal fusion deferred from this last Monday till sometime after New Year's because of other health issues. The good thing is despite having to  manage the pain is there so much I can get done before the end of the year including riding unfortunately work's been getting in the way LOL because I do outside construction work and the weather is still cooperating if we ever get the damn permits from the city and Village.

I'm surprised you didn't pick up on what happened in the very spot your beautiful photos were taken in, it was the US's biggest environmental and economic disaster ever. I remember not being able to fly into Seattle (or anywhere) anymore and that made dealing with Boeing unimaginably difficult being based in San Diego. PSA the flying bus was the usual means of commuting. I remember the old timers would bring their booze with them because in Seattle they had the state liquor stores. Those were the days and the next year I left and haven't been back.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Betoney, man what did you specifically have done to your elbow and forearm because I've been putting that off for 30 years so the scar tissue is probably screwed up doing anything decent in there even with today's technology but I'm just curious. I know how joints hurt and no matters what's done it's rare your 100% again.

I'm surprised you didn't pick up on what happened in the very spot your beautiful photos were taken in, it was the US's biggest environmental and economic disaster ever.

The doctors called it tennis elbow but think it was more than that, there was damaged tissue visible on an MRI.  They ended up detaching the tendon from the bone and removing the damaged sections and then polishing the surface of the bone smooth.  They had to insert an anchor into the bone and then reattach the tendon.  Surgery was 6 months ago and I have been back at work almost 3 months, everything works fine, it just aches a bit.

Yes, I remember when the eruption happened, I was 13 y/o and watched it from my front yard in Olympia, I couldn't see the mountain but could see the ash plume rising. 

I tried to go to Windy Ridge, (the North Eastern side of the mountain above Spirit Lake) this last May 18th for the 40th anniversary but the road was still closed due to snow.  I did make it up there several weeks later.  The area is recovering but even after 40 years there is still miles of deadfall timber in every direction and countless trees on the shore of the lake, you can see some in this photo.

Windy Ridge Viewpoint above Spirit Lake - July 2020

image.thumb.png.3eaabfcb9b1ba2b82eabdef396e01ddd.png

• Thumbsup 2

On 12/4/2020 at 8:04 PM, roy826 said:

I finally completed my duel USB charger port. My gray factory harness plug finally arrived from Poland. The guys hand writing was something to be desired no wonder it took so long. Anywho I’m pleased with the results. Big thanks to @mellow for the power assistance. I couldn’t shorten the wires cause the positive fuse was almost at the end of that wire and I wasn’t up to splicing and soldering at this time. No worries plenty of room to stuff it all in there behind the dash. Works great! 

88443013-AFB5-4C75-8632-99FD5203C406.jpeg

I have one in my shop haven't installed yet but soon.   Thanks for the photo. 

4 hours ago, CottonTop said:

I have one in my shop haven't installed yet but soon.   Thanks for the photo. 

You will have to dremel off about a 1000th of metal on the hole the thing goes in. I used a dremel with a cylinder wheel stone. Took about 5 minutes. 

• Premium Member
On 11/12/2020 at 4:51 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

I ADDED FRONT TS/RL TO THE REAR WITH 3RD WIRE AND LED DUAL FUNCTION F & R WITH TWIN FRONT DRIVING & L&R SIDE  MARKER LIGHTS + AUXILIARY LED STOP STRIP ON BACK EDGE OF SHAD TOP CASE RACK.

COUP DE GRACE IS A KISAN LED DEADLIGHT MODULATOR & HI-LO TWIN FIAM HORNS  WHEEL RIM TAPE SOCKS TOO

20170626_191741.jpg

20170626_195538.jpg

20170626_195620.jpg

20191120_164357.jpg

20160831_204725.jpg

20160831_214806.jpg

20160901_165903.jpg

20190510_191220.jpg

20200223_182234.jpg

20200223_182245.jpg

20200223_182254.jpg

20201011_175904.jpg

20201011_175914.jpg

I don't want to pee in your Post Toasties but you are not legal having a lit amber light to the rear.  You can have a  turn signal thats amber but not a lit bulb, at the rear.  I was a trucker for  years and got a citation for having  one amber lens in the middle of  my rear facing running  lights. Just so you know.