What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
On 2/7/2021 at 6:05 PM, kilo3 said:

I hope it's a sweltering summer for you.

Indeed.   But first, how about some historic Southeast Texas weather?   I’m prepared for Cat 5 hurricanes (well, kinda...), but snow and 12 F is uncharted territory for us  

AD6EB77F-59CE-48AA-895F-18F4E61EDE98.thumb.jpeg.fe1e7e08b96881878089a1c748f5419a.jpeg

• Premium Member

@texscottyd don't worry. It probably won't be snow to start - it will be ice 1st then snow. 🤢 

We're supposed to get up to 1" ice THEN 2" of snow. Temps below freezing until Wed when it happens again. We're a couple of hours northeast of you weather wise. 

On the bright side we're supposed to have highs in the 60s in 2 weeks!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

3rd set of levers:  1st set was to have adjustable clutch lever that were folding, quick-click reach and length adjust, 2nd set same as 1st required after R1 MC (so they don't count), then I didn't like the brake lever and got only the OEM R1 lever which kind of sucked, so now a 3rd set that only click-adjust.  They don't make the self-shrinking Lever Skins any more but the next best things I've found are the Pro Grip slip-ons and the knock-offs.  They reduce glove wear, add comfort and are safer rain riding.

s-l400.jpg

Material:CNC brake and clutch lever from T6061-T6billet...

These are my 2nd set of pegs after the ubiquitous longer, rubber covered replacements.  Wanted them about 3/8" forward & 3/4" lower.

s-l400.jpg

<li> CNC 25mm Riser Front Footpegs- Condition : 100% Brand...

No test ride report on both until maybe June after surgery..20210211_133847.jpg

20210211_133953.jpg

20210213_173327.jpg

20210213_173345.jpg

20210213_175542.jpg

20210213_175600.jpg

20210213_175619.jpg

20210213_175637.jpg

Here's a Covid-boredom question:

Is that front brake lever strength rated?  Looks stylish but a bit thin in the air gap.

I'd hate to have a lever snap under hard / emergency braking.

Maybe I'm a worrier!  :)

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

50 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Here's a Covid-boredom question:

Is that front brake lever strength rated?  Looks stylish but a bit thin in the air gap.

I'd hate to have a lever snap under hard / emergency braking.

Maybe I'm a worrier!  :)

Here's a COVID-boredom answer:

It'll be fine under normal operation. It's almost as strong as if it was solid all the way through. The max loads are exerted on the edges. The stress along the neutral axis (see picture below) is zero. The stress then increases in a cubic, proportional to the distance off the neutral axis.

Image result for bending

So, you can cut material out of the middle of something without sacrificing much strength. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
On 2/12/2021 at 11:54 PM, 2WHLOZK said:

I like those driving lights.  Who makes them if you don't mind my asking?  (cool dog, too)

They're PIAA LP550s. Honestly, they wouldn't have been my first choice because they're so effing big, but they were $50 on Craigslist. They throw a lot of light down the road.

Lily says "Wrank wryou!"

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Up until a couple, three weeks ago I was going to do an oil & filter change on all my bikes but we've been in the deep freeze since then and our highs have been below maybe 15 F, usually under 10 WITHOUT wind chill.  Now even though I keep my shop above 45 and can get it up to 65 or so, for the first time I was going to try the "cold oil" drain method as I read the positive test about this method compared to my normal hot oil drain in Road Racing World & Technology in an issue later last year.  The advantage besides the obvious of not having to start the engine and risk burning yourself is all the crud has already settled out of suspension to the bottom of the sump, and will be the first to drain.  Now I was going to heat up the sump with a hot air gun a bit after letting the shop warm up, and let them drain in unison overnight but Sunday night though yesterday afternoon we got another 15 inches of snow (on top of the 2 feet + we already received over the last week or so), and then from yesterday afternoon through this morning got another 12 inches plus heavy drifting. We've been in a Lake Michigan induced "lake affect" snow band track that usually runs farther south of us.  This is the worst we've been hit in at least 5 years.

Bottom line, I have to wait for our snow removal service to get to us hopefully by early this afternoon to even get out of the house, as we have a detached garage / shop.

Oh well, gives me time to catch up watching last season's Moto GPs...

49 minutes ago, ScottyMcDee said:

Looked at the bike today to make sure it was still there..... north east Texas definitely not riding weather...17DBC0B4-B9B8-405A-B376-08770569D53C.thumb.png.356a325e93c90cc91b710cc220d02695.png

Do you even own a snow shovel? Snow blower is out of the question.