What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Do you even own a snow shovel? Snow blower is out of the question.

No snow shovel here in Tyler. No reason to! ..... until now.

But I lived in Kings Canyon, CA for a few years where there’d be snow on the ground for months. That and my work has me travel to McMurdo Station, Antarctica for weeks/months every available Antarctic summer. No issues with the snow, just out of place for where we live now.

Edited by ScottyMcDee
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Do you even own a snow shovel? Snow blower is out of the question.

Not only do I own a snow shovel in Mississippi, I also "own" an 18 year old who shoveled the driveway for the 1st time in his life so I could have a clear path to come home. 😁

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 6

• Premium Member
Just now, getpetey said:

Aaaaand it has arrived!

B1CCEBE8-6401-413A-8F53-773EE178F9EF.jpeg

Set the ride height at the top of the shock to match your FJ shock length before you install it. I didn't at first. It slows the steering way down and makes it really stable. Not bad but not as fun as I wanted it. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I have 2 snow throwers.  My 2015 Craftsman 26" 2-stage self-propelled has 7-speeds forward and 3 in reverse, a discharge chute joystick and is the quietest 4-stroke I've ever heard.  It's so quiet my wife likes my 26 year old MTD 2-smoke better, she says she falls asleep listening to the ring-ding-ding...  Gotta love a dame who likes 2-strokes!

Over the previous 3 days, we received about 18" on top of an equal amount already on the ground.   It's getting to the point where there's nowhere to put more.  I think it got up to 24 today!  WooWoo!  We've been below 18, averaging maybe 10 for like two weeks...   I don't even notice the temp unless it's windy but when we break 20 it feels like spring!

20210217_112755.jpg

20210217_112804.jpg

20210217_112840.jpg

20210217_112855.jpg

20210217_112915.jpg

20210217_113121.jpg

20210216_140558.jpg

20190120_154413.jpg

20190120_154443.jpg

20190120_154530.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

Yeah I'll be reving my blower again, another 8+ inches coming tonight.

What happened to La niña we were supposed to get?

Good news is the jet stream gets it's ass back where it belongs next week and temps go back to normal.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, ScottyMcDee said:

No snow shovel here in Tyler. No reason to! ..... until now.

What are we, like twins from another mother?  :)   I live in Houston now, but have a family lake house out in East Texas near Woodville.   

After enduring the last 24 hours with no electricity, water, or heat (with the outside temperature dipping down near 10 F), I can safety say that I never want to see this weather again in Texas.   On the bright side, my wife is going to get the bedroom and bathroom remodel she’s been wanting, since the collateral damage from burst pipes in the attic appears to be fairly significant.   

Oh, and it’s supposed to be 65 degrees this weekend...  seriously? 

• Sad 4

@texscottyd haha we might be the same person. And Texas home construction definitely not built for long cold spells! Sorry to hear of the damage, but remodel will be a nice silver lining! Adds some value to the home too! 

I did a bunch of prep work that paid off as we haven’t had any issues. All sinks/toilets/etc flowing fine still. One of my rentals unfortunately didn’t fare so well. Emergency exterior wall plumbing repair at 10pm in -2°F is not how I planned to spend my birthday....

Need to get my “Not a Flamethrower” out and thaw the streets so I can actually ride during the 60° weather in a few days!!!

Texas weather makes no sense...

• Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, texscottyd said:

What are we, like twins from another mother?  :)   I live in Houston now, but have a family lake house out in East Texas near Woodville.   

After enduring the last 24 hours with no electricity, water, or heat (with the outside temperature dipping down near 10 F), I can safety say that I never want to see this weather again in Texas.   On the bright side, my wife is going to get the bedroom and bathroom remodel she’s been wanting, since the collateral damage from burst pipes in the attic appears to be fairly significant.   

Sorry to hear that Scott. Is that a home insurance claim or will the repairs be entirely on you?

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Sorry to hear of the damage, I have been following this on the news, do you guys have power or water service yet?  Hope you all are back to normal soon.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the damage @texscottyd, I hope insurance covers most of it. 

I can say I don't own a snow shovel here in western Oregon. I've lived in this house for 21 years now and I've had to shovel snow maybe 5-6 times. I just use a regular flat shovel. The last time was, hmm, 3-4 years ago? We've had some pretty mild winters in recent years, we were even spared from this week's ice storm that hit Portland so bad. I went for a ride on Monday.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Global warming, E Ninyo,  Your microclimate and damn lucky

Will somebody explained me why Texas had a failure of their power grid and why the fat cats in their high rises had lights but nobody else did?

My wife said something about Texas being the only state the dead doesn't have to adhere to federal guidelines for redundancy?

And why don't water pumping stations have their own electrical backup power systems that last longer than 6 hours

Do you guys have natural gas Fired Generators In Texas

Generac and their kind are big in this market ecause we can have outages all year round but there usually restored within 24 hours

Before the turn of the millennium I put in a manual transfer switch with a grey Box that a hunderd 50' electrical power cable Reach the garage where I kept a gasoline fire generator So I could leave the overhead door open enough for ventilation and lock it and run the generator from there but gasoliness gotten more expensive eh?

I can run everything but the air conditioner Including our surcharge control ejector pump Due to overdevelopment are combined sanitary sewer systems have to be protected with restrictors where they turned the streets into temporary retention basins.  Natural gas is never usually a problem either

Being close to Lake M water is also usually never a problem

Something people on the left coast are lucky to have but I presume you have  desalianation Systems to provide for critical needs?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Something people on the left coast are lucky to have but I presume you have  desalianation Systems to provide for critical needs?

I don't know about California but I doubt there are any major desalinization systems in Oregon or Washington. We have plenty of fresh water, no need to bother with the ocean. 

It seems like everyone is looking for someone or something to blame in Texas. I think it's way too early for this. This is a natural disaster, they need help.

• Thumbsup 2

On 2/16/2021 at 7:17 PM, kilo3 said:

Was excited to put my tail tidy on today in the 15 degree garage but the LED plate light crumbled in my hands.

Today I learned that plastic and loctite doesn't mix.

PXL-20210217-020157065.jpg

Which tail tidy is this?  There's still room to mount the hardcases with the tidy in place?

Man, even as someone living where that kind of weather is normal (including the changes from -phuckoffcold to +surprisinglywarm), I really feel for you guys.  Even when you're prepared for it (housing with good insulation is a legal requirement) it sucks.  The "rolling blackouts" (which reports show seem to be limited to a certain subset of neighborhoods) are a hard no - I can't believe that's even legal.

I mean, here, the power company can't cut off your heat from Oct through March even if you don't pay them because you can definitely die at -20c, and it doesn't take very long.

That said, I guarantee you're going to see this weather again.  Climate change is only going to get worse.  

On the upside, though, I can definitely recommend all the stuff you need to have a great time riding your Tracer in -20C weather!

Edited by Wintersdark