What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

On 2/20/2021 at 8:07 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Dismissive?  You can't see the tail or a beak for example while riding.  So if it reduces or doesn't add to performance and/or costs time & money without improving functionality, I don't see the need. I clean my bikes often as part of routine maintenance and safety checks to catch potential issues early.  If I cared about looks I'd be riding a Ducati Multistrada or MV Agusta Veloci or whatever.

Each to there own but I'd rather be riding then worrying about how I look.

Sorry for the language.  Maybe condescending would of been a better word to use.

Cheers

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, koth442 said:

I installed some Graves block off plates & went for a quick test drive. Longer test drive to follow... 

I ordered my AIS block off plates today, in anticipation of a day of much-needed wrenching out in the shop.  

On a separate note, we survived the winter storm reasonably well.   Still waiting on a plumber to repair a couple of ruptured pipes in the attic, so there’s no running water in the house.  But I’m on my own well here, so I do have access to clean water from the pressure tank in the garage...  makes it manageable with buckets and a garden hose in the interim. I’m hopeful that by midweek we’ll have full water service restored.   Thanks for everyone that checked in on us!  

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
45 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I ordered my AIS block off plates today, in anticipation of a day of much-needed wrenching out in the shop.  

On a separate note, we survived the winter storm reasonably well.   Still waiting on a plumber to repair a couple of ruptured pipes in the attic, so there’s no running water in the house.  But I’m on my own well here, so I do have access to clean water from the pressure tank in the garage...  makes it manageable with buckets and a garden hose in the interim. I’m hopeful that by midweek we’ll have full water service restored.   Thanks for everyone that checked in on us!  

Glad to hear that you are 'kinda' getting back to normal, been watching it on the news...What a MESS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
54 minutes ago, betoney said:

Glad to hear that you are 'kinda' getting back to normal, been watching it on the news...What a MESS.

Yeah, it has been a mess.  Probably plenty of blame to go around, but I’m not going to get involved in that...  just glad we’ve weathered the storm (more or less) and are moving ahead.   

Even the folks who were well prepared got caught off guard by this one. My neighbor has a high-dollar whole-house standby generator, but it was rendered non-functional when the natural gas supply went to zero.   

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Even the folks who were well prepared got caught off guard by this one. My neighbor has a high-dollar whole-house standby generator, but it was rendered non-functional when the natural gas supply went to zero.   

We get a lot of wind storms and power outages, sometimes for several days.  Many years ago we bought a whole-house generator, it was some of the best home improvement money we ever spent, though it does run on natural gas... 🙄  We haven't been without heat, light or the ability to cook or do laundry in almost 20 years.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Yes I use indexing washers in conjunction with the crush washer

I also use Copper rather than aluminium anti-seize compound on the plug threads

I also tried iridium plugs but the only ones I could find had a significantly shorter reach than the oem standard plugs, so I went back to them as I found they do not wear significantly in 8000 miles.  As far as reducing their reach with the indexing washers, wer'e talking only a few thousands which shouldn't have a significant negative effect, and possibly help.

• Supporting Member
59 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yes I use indexing washers in conjunction with the crush washer

I also use Copper rather than aluminium anti-seize compound on the plug threads

Interesting... indexing washer under the crush washer (bottom)? Only way I think with OE plugs.

Why the anti-seize? NGK specifically does not recommend. Modern plugs have treated threads.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, piotrek said:

Interesting... indexing washer under the crush washer (bottom)? Only way I think with OE plugs.

Why the anti-seize? NGK specifically does not recommend. Modern plugs have treated threads.

Yes, under crushers; PITA getting crush off and on, or maybe I didn't...

Old habits, where'd you read about treated threads?

58 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Tail tidy done, it'll be a while till I get a replacement plate light.

Blaster x and 12 o clock labs should get some attention.

Bike tucked back in for a nap.

@kilo3 How do you like the brightness of the 12 oclock turn signals? They’re on my list but would like some real world input on them.

25 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yes, under crushers; PITA getting crush off and on, or maybe I didn't...

Old habits, where'd you read about treated threads?

I've never used anything on plug threads.

Our plugs 36k mile life.

Screenshot_20210221-215749.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

4 minutes ago, NYTracer said:

@kilo3 How do you like the brightness of the 12 oclock turn signals? They’re on my list but would like some real world input on them.

If your not looking for fancy animations or strobe, I would say maybe buy the x-arc from high speed tech for a little more quality and $$. The build quality is just ok, the lenses seem chincy but the rest is good.  On par with oem brightness. 

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

...where'd you read about treated threads?

A note specifically applicable to NGK plugs is on their site. I think the last time I had to deal with a nasty seized up plug was back in the 80's. 

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif