What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Xstoff said:

I made my first brake fluid change after... too long to admit...

Made a mess 😛

I didn't know the front brake had so much pressure!

I hear you!  If you've got a compressor or access to one, I recommend one of these for next time.  Makes the job so much less painful and/or slow and as mentioned, messy.

It's a vacuum bleeder if you weren't aware?

image.png.304e9c402c7a0682304f38c273b0f290.png

• Premium Member

Here's my setup works OK haven't tried the new pegs yet I went from the rubber covered ones to these which because there adjustable I lowered about 3/4 of an inch and move them forward about 3/8"

You can see my highway pegs in both pics

20210223_142156.jpg

20210223_142120.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

HI lospsi,

I can't find my link to the pegs I bought but I'm reasonably confident that they are these: - http://amzn.to/2sipm1T

I say that as I got the tip a few years ago here.

Good luck.

Thanks! I'm also looking to buy these and have spent some time comparing the offers.

They seem to be made by lots of different Chinese manufacturers and Amazon lists many duplicates but there are some differences in types. I've read a lot of good and bad reviews so it comes down to getting the good ones.

The one Brian installs in the video seem identical to these. This type has the same pattern in the rubber, the same lip, and the same braces in the bottom and the same product code written in the aluminium. The link that is included with that video is a different type (other lip on the rubber, other braces and product code). image.thumb.png.a4fb6bd65f74f5e24a2b0bb9ad96c306.png

Left: in the video | RIght: in the video link

I guess that the two most important features are the fit and quality of the alloy; I've read some listed as aluminum and others as steel but I have no idea which is better and if we can even trust these specs to be accurate.

So unless someone has better advice I'll try the ones on the left.

Side note: They are unavailable in my amazon.com link but I can get them on amazon.de (no local Amazon in Belgium). There are many options with the exact same pictures to be found whereever you are probably.

14 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Here's my setup works OK haven't tried the new pegs yet I went from the rubber covered ones to these which because there adjustable I lowered about 3/4 of an inch and move them forward about 3/8"

You can see my highway pegs in both pics

20210223_142156.jpg

20210223_142120.jpg

Where did you get the highway pegs? More accurately, where did you get the mounts?

20 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I hear you!  If you've got a compressor or access to one, I recommend one of these for next time.  Makes the job so much less painful and/or slow and as mentioned, messy.

It's a vacuum bleeder if you weren't aware?

image.png.304e9c402c7a0682304f38c273b0f290.png

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I don't have a compressor or have access to one (was thinking of getting one though).

I used this instead... The front brake caliper was messy, got a 10mm for the rear brake, and it was way better!

motion_pro_mini_brake_bleeder_mp.jpg

The Motion Pro Mini Brake Bleeder combines a wrench and...

By the way, how long can I keep the DOT4 bottle?

I know it gets bad after a while, but can I use what's remaining after a month? or is it too long to wait for? 

Edited by Xstoff

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

Where did you get the highway pegs? More accurately, where did you get the mounts?

If you do a search for where I've posted on this thread you'll see I covered both the highway pegs and the new footpegs

I can try to look I recall the manufacturer or at least distributor  For the highway pegs but they're aluminium and I used cut up Coke cans and rubber To keep the mounts from rotating . They don't vibrate much and I have them set up so I can put my boots or calves on them

Finding the right position is the hardest part

The rubber covered foot pegs that they're talking about above  Is what I replaced for the new adjustable pegs

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Xstoff said:

By the way, how long can I keep the DOT4 bottle?

I know it gets bad after a while, but can I use what's remaining after a month? or is it too long to wait for? 

I'm no expert in these matters but I would assume that the remaining fluid should have the equivalent life span as the fluid you have in your bikes reservoir. After all it was all exposed to the atmosphere the moment the bottle was opened.

I would be OK with using the same stuff in that sort of time frame but I repeat, I'm no expert.

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, petshark said:

Thanks! I'm also looking to buy these and have spent some time comparing the offers.

They seem to be made by lots of different Chinese manufacturers and Amazon lists many duplicates but there are some differences in types. I've read a lot of good and bad reviews so it comes down to getting the good ones.

The one Brian installs in the video seem identical to these. This type has the same pattern in the rubber, the same lip, and the same braces in the bottom and the same product code written in the aluminium. The link that is included with that video is a different type (other lip on the rubber, other braces and product code). image.thumb.png.a4fb6bd65f74f5e24a2b0bb9ad96c306.png

Left: in the video | RIght: in the video link

I guess that the two most important features are the fit and quality of the alloy; I've read some listed as aluminum and others as steel but I have no idea which is better and if we can even trust these specs to be accurate.

So unless someone has better advice I'll try the ones on the left.

Side note: They are unavailable in my amazon.com link but I can get them on amazon.de (no local Amazon in Belgium). There are many options with the exact same pictures to be found whereever you are probably.

Here are the ones I got a few years ago now, and seem to share bits from each of those pegs that you show in your post?!  As in similar base as the one on the left and rubber top from the one on the right.  I'm wondering if the link in the video points to the same location as Brian's original pegs but the product has now changes to the 'newer' casting??

All I can say about mine is that in the 3 years (or so) that I've had them, they haven't failed or shown any signs of failure.   I've stood and bounced on them on many ocassions and, while I'm not a heavy guy (<85kgs in ATGATT), they seem to stand up to 'normal' use.  IMHO they are certainly better (comfort wise) than the short, thin OEM pegs that come with the machine and for a reasonable price.  YMMV.

EDIT: - and yes, the securing pin is longer than it needs to be - before anyone comments - I just haven't bothered changing it.  It is secure though. 🙂

20210226_081356.thumb.jpg.6a63cd8252a63cb548f9a4a7f5786f51.jpg

20210226_081413.thumb.jpg.5248f5065648c1b9b426f98cdb95bfb6.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

With 40F today I finished my last 2 maint. items since I had to run it out side.

Total list over the winter, it's long for only 3800 miles on it: 

APE Pro CCT, New brake fluid, New coolant, 2WDW ECU flash, AIS block off plates, Check and gap plugs, Updated clutch cable, Clean air filter, Rizoma MA009 handle bars mounted, TB sync, Heavier fork springs, and heavier fork oil.   Plus all kinds of lube and adjustments.

Now I just need my driveway to de-ice and warm-up.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On 2/24/2021 at 6:50 AM, Just-Tim said:

I saw this set up in a search. Found the SW Motech guards, pricey! Wasn’t able to run down the pegs but this looks like what I need. Can anyone identify the pegs, and do you know if they’ll work with the GIVI guards?

Thanks,

Tim

A5DD8EBC-308D-439B-B22A-465EE02B29E7.jpeg

That's my bike.  Another poster correctly identified the highway pegs, however I have since changed over to GIVI crash bars.  More options for mounting the pegs and other accessories.