What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

Here are the ones I got a few years ago now, and seem to share bits from each of those pegs that you show in your post?!  As in similar base as the one on the left and rubber top from the one on the right.  I'm wondering if the link in the video points to the same location as Brian's original pegs but the product has now changes to the 'newer' casting??

All I can say about mine is that in the 3 years (or so) that I've had them, they haven't failed or shown any signs of failure.   I've stood and bounced on them on many ocassions and, while I'm not a heavy guy (<85kgs in ATGATT), they seem to stand up to 'normal' use.  IMHO they are certainly better (comfort wise) than the short, thin OEM pegs that come with the machine and for a reasonable price.  YMMV.

EDIT: - and yes, the securing pin is longer than it needs to be - before anyone comments - I just haven't bothered changing it.  It is secure though. 🙂

20210226_081356.thumb.jpg.6a63cd8252a63cb548f9a4a7f5786f51.jpg

20210226_081413.thumb.jpg.5248f5065648c1b9b426f98cdb95bfb6.jpg

I think you saw I replaced my rubber ones with the adjustable non-rubber ADV type pegs

20210225_184331.jpg

20210225_184138.jpg

2 hours ago, builderbob said:

That's my bike.  Another poster correctly identified the highway pegs, however I have since changed over to GIVI crash bars.  More options for mounting the pegs and other accessories.

Good news for me because it looks like the GIVI offers more protection for the lower case and even some for the plastic, but I was concerned about the peg placement not begin forward enough.  Curious though, what model is your bike and did you use the TN2122 or TN2139? The 2139’s that are supposed to be for my gen  Tracer appear smaller and I was wondering about the coverage.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Just-Tim said:

Good news for me because it looks like the GIVI offers more protection for the lower case and even some for the plastic, but I was concerned about the peg placement not begin forward enough.  Curious though, what model is your bike and did you use the TN2122 or TN2139? The 2139’s that are supposed to be for my gen  Tracer appear smaller and I was wondering about the coverage.

Mine is a 2015.  There was only one GIVI model available at the time.  I've had it for years, so it's probably the 2122.

9 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Here are the ones I got a few years ago now, and seem to share bits from each of those pegs that you show in your post?!  As in similar base as the one on the left and rubber top from the one on the right.  I'm wondering if the link in the video points to the same location as Brian's original pegs but the product has now changes to the 'newer' casting??

All I can say about mine is that in the 3 years (or so) that I've had them, they haven't failed or shown any signs of failure.   I've stood and bounced on them on many ocassions and, while I'm not a heavy guy (<85kgs in ATGATT), they seem to stand up to 'normal' use.  IMHO they are certainly better (comfort wise) than the short, thin OEM pegs that come with the machine and for a reasonable price.  YMMV.

EDIT: - and yes, the securing pin is longer than it needs to be - before anyone comments - I just haven't bothered changing it.  It is secure though. 🙂

20210226_081356.thumb.jpg.6a63cd8252a63cb548f9a4a7f5786f51.jpg

20210226_081413.thumb.jpg.5248f5065648c1b9b426f98cdb95bfb6.jpg

yeah, it looks like the sellers consider these to be all equal and what you get depends on availability. Yours are almost the same as Brian's. You don't have the product inscription on the bottom and your rubber is attached with screws instead of rivets. I found the exact same ones as Brian's on Ali and ordered them for 9 euro including 10 day delivery. Thank you for your detailed recommendation, good to know that this variation is also up to the task.

Got the last piece of the puzzle today for the impending season, SW-Motech Micro Pro.
It's small but perfect for wallet, phone, visor wipes,  sammy and a drink.  When you unzip it the storage almost doubles and you can easily fit two water bottles.

The pro ring is amazing, you just remotely get the bag close and it sucks it down with magnets and locks.
As a note, the bag does sit on the plastic tank moulding on the front of the bag.  I had to gently push down on the inside of the bag to get it to latch the first time, but after it sat for a bit, it tosses right on.

These are the two sku's from Revzilla:

SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock PRO Tank Ring Ducati / MV Agusta / Triumph / Yamaha

SKU: 1848599

SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock PRO Micro Tank Bag

SKU: 1848649

PXL-20210226-172107039.jpg

PXL-20210226-172112199.jpg

PXL-20210226-172124963.jpg

Can of spraypaint for scale without the expanding zip open.

PXL-20210226-172208053.jpg

Next winter we are going with paint and suspension. Done for this year for mods.

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Got the last piece of the puzzle today for the impending season, SW-Motech Micro Pro.
It's small but perfect for wallet, phone, visor wipes,  sammy and a drink.  When you unzip it the storage almost doubles and you can easily fit two water bottles.

The pro ring is amazing, you just remotely get the bag close and it sucks it down with magnets and locks.
As a note, the bag does sit on the plastic tank moulding on the front of the bag.  I had to gently push down on the inside of the bag to get it to latch the first time, but after it sat for a bit, it tosses right on.

Nice! I bought my Tracer with the Yamaha branded tank bag, which is an obvious rebranded SW Motech. It was one of the first things I had to work on as the mechanism to remove it from the tank was catching on something internally. It's triggered by a fine cable and once it breaks that means no more gasoline. On the way home when I bought it, I had a scary moment at the gas station where it seemed that it would not let go.

Took it apart completely after finding just one other report on the web by someone who had the same issue. It's a clever mechanism but not lubricated and it should just slide on it's own. It honestly could not find what was causing it to hang so in the end I used some silicone lubricant (Superlube). It didn't look like it helped at first but the next day it was already working a lot better and now, two months later, it's really smooth.

It looks like they upgraded that system with the magnets so you probably won't have that issue in the future. I would never have thought to buy something like this but since it came with the bike I tried to find some use for it and I've really grown to like it and use it a lot.

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, Rovari said:

Hey Petshark, I found these on Amazon in Canada. Looks like they are the same and should fit. Indicates fitment for Yamaha XJR400 XJR1200 XJR1300 FJR1300 XJ6 FZ1 FZ6 FZ6R FZ400 FZ1000. Only 16.00 CAD

footpegs.PNG

Thank you but I've already ordered some. 🙂 I will let you know how it works out.

• Like 1

Today I changed the engine oil for the first time. I went with my favorite oil from my Kawasaki 650 years; Motul 5100 10w40 (semi synthetic) and was very surprised to have the feel of the gears change to that of the Kawa! A lot less clunky and the engine seems to be a lot happier... I know oil threads are frowned upon so I'll leave it at that. I'm just really happy as this was totally unexpected.

image.thumb.png.6d72633911ae9655c062639c551baaa8.pngI also have a question. I have "crusher seals" but the Tracer has a M14 oil drain plug while I have M12's from the Kawa bikes. It's a fairly new bike so I thought, no problem, I'll just clean and reuse it this time but there was nothing on there.

The bolt did have some kind of ring attached to it but it looked smaller than usual and I could not get it off with my finger nail and did not dare to take a tool to it, seeing that I had no replacement. Wasn't sure if it was part of the bolt of just stuck together.

Then when I torqued it tight I found it weird that the bolt just rotates a few degrees from loose to the torque setting. Feels like there is nothing in between, not like any other bolt that I tightened

Can anyone confirm that this is normal? The plug is not leaking after 2 rides so I guess it's good but I'm a bit worried that it might vibrate loose if it is indeed without a washer. I should have taken a picture...

• Thumbsup 1

8 minutes ago, Rovari said:

Looks great kilo3! I really like the red stripe, nice flow. I too grabbed an OEM sport bag and clamp mount. Just curious, what is the dial and push button (looks like) on the left handlebar?

Bicycle bell, kids love it.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member

New AIS block off plates arrived today.   I went with the SmartMoto setup, and these are beautifully manufactured.  

Now I just need to go spend some time in the shop catching up on the backlog of FJ projects...  

9A794877-308C-44E2-8EF1-8BC30332B582.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4

On 2/22/2021 at 7:07 PM, kilo3 said:

Took advantage of above freezing temps and put my RG tank grips, they are meh, should have went with stomp grips but I cheaped out. Maybe they get nice and sticky in the heat🤷‍♂️

The RG's are IMHO a really great "multipurpose" tank grip.  They don't grip as well as some "proper" sport tank grips, but they are reasonably grippy and importantly for a bike you're riding long distances/often, they don't destroy your pants.  YMMV, but I've had tank grips in the past that wreck jeans, and that doesn't work for me for a bike I ride daily.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:05 AM, Rovari said:

Hey Petshark, I found these on Amazon in Canada. Looks like they are the same and should fit. Indicates fitment for Yamaha XJR400 XJR1200 XJR1300 FJR1300 XJ6 FZ1 FZ6 FZ6R FZ400 FZ1000. Only 16.00 CAD

I have these on my 2019, and they fit great.  They've done just fine for me for around 10k kms.

Like all of these, the pins are too long, so they hang out a bit.  Very minor purely cosmetic quibble.  Also, you have to (with all Tracers) grind off the pin on the... left? stock peg.  One has a c-clip, the other is rivetted.  Because reasons.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I celebrated its birthday today!   According to a photo memory reminder on my iPhone, my FJ came home 5 years ago today.   

I knew I was going to enjoy this bike, but I had no idea just how enamored I would become with it...  it still makes me smile every time I get out for a ride.  

6F0E2913-AA62-4EB3-A0BD-CC514BF8759C.thumb.jpeg.3ada74b697a2b7003aac8bd961f9b00f.jpeg

(Feb 27, 2016)

• Thumbsup 7

34 minutes ago, Rovari said:

Things are coming together! The phone mount, back stay for the OEM top box and TomTom have been installed. The TomTom wires have been run, just waiting for longer right angle USB for the phone. I also found some funky looking driving lights or daytime running lights, small but claim to be 1000 lumen...I included a few pics below. Spring is in the air and the snow is melting!  Cheers All!

IMG_9622.jpeg

IMG_9626.jpeg

IMG_9630 (1).jpeg

IMG_9633.jpeg

IMG_9635 (1).jpeg

led light.PNG

Bike is looking really nice .. not even a spec of dust! 

• Thumbsup 1