What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

33 minutes ago, keithu said:

This sounds like yet another reason to recommend the single-point Barkbuster mount, it wouldn't cause this problem. 

You may want to check that the wire and ferrule are still in good condition. This sounds to me like a problem that will come back. 

I considered the single-point mount, but with my mirrors being mounted to the guard's backbone, I worried that I would get too much vibration without that second mount point. I will definitely check the switch wiring closely. 

FWIW, I have 12,000 miles my set of Road 5's.  The center wear indicators are almost flush with the remaining tread.  I've got a new set of 5's ready to be mounted once I get a bead breaking slide hammer delivered. 

My tire life may have been helped by lots of cool weather, cool tire, Minnesota road miles.  I was also surprised that the last 3/32" of wear lasted 5,000 miles.  I almost replaced them prior to a 3,800 mile trip this spring but I'm happy I didn't! 

20210504_154230.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, Ride On said:

FWIW, I have 12,000 miles my set of Road 5's.

😳

It’s still amazing to me the wildly varying mileage numbers we get out of the same tires on the same bike.   I know that there are differences in riding styles, weight, climate, etc., but I got significantly less mileage from the Road 5s on my FJ... less than 50% of the mileage you currently have, and they honestly needed to be replaced sooner... 

• Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

😳

It’s still amazing to me the wildly varying mileage numbers we get out of the same tires on the same bike.   I know that there are differences in riding styles, weight, climate, etc., but I got significantly less mileage from the Road 5s on my FJ... less than 50% of the mileage you currently have, and they honestly needed to be replaced sooner... 

Right? It's one of life's mysteries.

I have about 5k miles on mine, still at least 3-4/32" left before I hit the center wear bars but the tire itself is still pretty round.

PXL-20210504-230443171.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Right? It's one of life's mysteries.

I got 5,344 miles out of this pair of Road 5s...   I don't think they had much more life to give.

F10AF0B3-C716-4F60-B9A3-BD6D6CE71167.thumb.jpeg.17b4f863c8847206d2b4242055714b59.jpeg

D7FA8EDE-1886-4B54-988A-B5B1C84733F7.thumb.jpeg.4ed209ca25c394e05fc893fa9d0d96e0.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

😳

You're in Texas though, right?

Mine will probably do 10,000 miles, but I'm in Canada, and the vast bulk of my riding happens between (math time!) 40f and at most 75f. Very, very rarely any higher. 

Road 5's are optimized to be softer in colder temperatures, that's how they get such good wet grip.  They wear much faster in warmer climates.  

Finished installing my fork springs today, got everything put together, but my wheels still aren't done so we're still playing hoverbike.

The new springs where 8mm longer than the stock springs, so I made some new spacers 8mm shorter.  Turns out that a mitre saw is very effective for cutting PVC pipe.  Drilled holes for the compressor thing and everything.

Then it turned out the included pipe material was too thick, and the caps wouldn't fit into it, so it was all wasted time.  Stock spacers went back in, and I'll start with an extra cm of preload.  That shouldn't be a problem, though, as I'm a chonky boi who needs a good chunk of preload anyways.

The old fork oil looked *bad*.  I feel this was worth it just to change the fork oil even if nothing else.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, betoney said:

Lol, I claim NO RESPONSIBILITY. 😄  The T32's are brand new, I haven't tried a set yet.  I will wait for your analysis on their performance.

You guys should invest in Pit Bull F&R stands!

Cheap insurance.

They're brilliant on a Handy Lift, no sitting on the floor or no bending...

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Mine will probably do 10,000 miles, but I'm in Canada, and the vast bulk of my riding happens between (math time!) 40f and at most 75f. Very, very rarely any higher. 

Road 5's are optimized to be softer in colder temperatures, that's how they get such good wet grip.  They wear much faster in warmer climates.  

Finished installing my fork springs today, got everything put together, but my wheels still aren't done so we're still playing hoverbike.

The new springs where 8mm longer than the stock springs, so I made some new spacers 8mm shorter.  Turns out that a mitre saw is very effective for cutting PVC pipe.  Drilled holes for the compressor thing and everything.

Then it turned out the included pipe material was too thick, and the caps wouldn't fit into it, so it was all wasted time.  Stock spacers went back in, and I'll start with an extra cm of preload.  That shouldn't be a problem, though, as I'm a chonky boi who needs a good chunk of preload anyways.

The old fork oil looked *bad*.  I feel this was worth it just to change the fork oil even if nothing else.  

I know it's too late for you but Race Tech sells preload washers that are about 2.5 mm thick to use to add to the spacer length without cutting new ones.  So 3 will add 7.5 mm for example.  You may find equivalent washers at a hardware store though.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, betoney said:

The UPS guy dropped off some goodies for the season.

image.thumb.png.2cee183f83c217a043e7535f7589edcb.png

Nice, so you went for the S22 instead of the T31/32?  I know you've stated you get almost the same mileage between the two.  Did you get a rebate debit card on both sets; I thought that ended already?  Where did you buy them from?

How much were the HiFlo filters and Castrol, and where did you buy them from too?

Thx

I usually use Purolator Pure or Boss filters (no leak worries since I installed the modified FJR thread assembly), and Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Nice, so you went for the S22 instead of the T31/32?  I know you've stated you get almost the same mileage between the two.  Did you get a rebate debit card on both sets; I thought that ended already?  Where did you buy them from?

How much were the HiFlo filters and Castrol, and where did you buy them from too?

Thx

I usually use Purolator Pure or Boss filters (no leak worries since I installed the modified FJR thread assembly), and Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.

Yes, I currently have T31's but I also have a 2nd rear rim that I have the S22 installed on, I use the T31 for road trips and S22 for general riding although I have used sport tires on road trips.  Rebate card on both sets, I ordered them from Motomummy.com   Now that it is getting warmer, I will use the sport tires through the Summer and Fall and at the end of the year, I will probably get another set of T31 or try the new T32.

HiFlo filters from RockyMountain ATV/MC for $7.34 and the case of oil (6 bottles) from Pep Boys on eBay for $58.55 which includes 10% Wa State sales tax.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I am in Texas, and tend to log most of my miles on warm & sunny days.  And many of the roads I look for around here are fairly abrasive, high-aggregate surfaces (aka: lots of grip).   The Road 5s work really well in this climate, although I can understand how it would come at a price in terms of faster wear. 

I'm quite happy to get 5,000 miles out of any tire, so this isn't a complaint at all, but just an observation.   I have local friends that routinely get double the mileage I've typically seen, so it remains one of those curious mysteries to me.      

• Thumbsup 1

I need to mount a set of new tires on mine. Only problem it is only mid 60s here today and tires are usually harder to mount in cooler temps even inside. I have a miserable 4900 miles on the stock Dunlops which are all but bald from edge to edge on the rear. I bought a set of really good priced Bridgestone T31s from RMATV back 1st of march and even  got a $50 rebate visa on them. Looking forward to a new set of tires on the Tracer.

• Thumbsup 1