What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, roy826 said:

I have a miserable 4900 miles on the stock Dunlops

My records show that I got 4,933 miles on the stock D222 Dunlops.   We seem to have a similar consumption pattern.

I'll be interested in your feedback on the Bridgestones.   I have run Michelin PR4 and Road 5s (loved them), and currently Dunlop RS3 (very good, but I prefer the Michelins).  

• Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I know it's too late for you but Race Tech sells preload washers that are about 2.5 mm thick to use to add to the spacer length without cutting new ones.  So 3 will add 7.5 mm for example.  You may find equivalent washers at a hardware store though.

I needed less length, not more - the new springs where about 8mm longer than the stock springs.  

I could have cut the stock spacers, but was reluctant to - they're all shaped nicely and are MUCH more fragile looking, was worried about damaging them and being SOL.  It just means my preload starts at 8mm in vs where it should, I just backed it off almost all the way and that got me my sag.  

So, turns out I paid the cut rate for the old discount rack T31's, my receipt says T31's, and my bike has a brand new pair of T32's.  Cool.  I'll take that.  

Can't really offer any kind of assessment yet, as I've only had about 100kms on them and haven't pushed them hard.  They seemed fine though, no real noteworthy difference vs road 5's in regular riding (not that I expected any).

They actually feel - and look - a lot like road 5's.  The real test will be cold and wet grip... And longevity.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I needed less length, not more - the new springs where about 8mm longer than the stock springs.  

I could have cut the stock spacers, but was reluctant to - they're all shaped nicely and are MUCH more fragile looking, was worried about damaging them and being SOL.  It just means my preload starts at 8mm in vs where it should, I just backed it off almost all the way and that got me my sag.  

Typical reverse dyslexia induced confusion.  But at least you all will know for future reference.

Concussions and age have also have fried my memory banks.  So much so that for me there's no such thing as reruns...

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Manxkiwi said:

Fitted these Givi hand guard extensions. Haven't ridden with them yet, but they should help a lot in the cooler air of winter.

They make a huge difference. Cold is still cold but the wind isn't pushing through the glove seams so bad. 

So, after a few days of warm and nice, it dropped to 2c/35f, rained hard for a few hours then changed to snow.  The perfect situation!  My wife needed an order of yarn picked up; so off I went on a 20 minute ride in near freezing heavy slushy rain.  The Bridgestone T32's held up admirably, functioning at these temps and rain pretty much identically to the Road 5's, at least at reasonable levels.  I didn't have a good opportunity to try real emergency stops, but testing locking up (or rather, triggering ABS) on the rear at speed, the results where very much comparable.  Obviously not very objective, but it took a very significant amount of force to break the rear free, and even under hard (but normal) braking I was still able to lift the rear rather than slip the front.  I'm really happy with this.  Dunno if they'll work as well when it's well below zero, but given that's typically winter tire time anyways I'm not too concerned.

Saving $150 a set for at least very similar performance is a good deal for me.  

Also - I'll have to post a formal review elsewhere, but Rev'it!'s H2O gloves - which claim to be waterproof - actually are.  In my experience, this is a fairly rare feat, as water pushed by high speed winds on a motorcycle tends to be really good at getting through ostensibly waterproof seams and fabrics.   Hands did get chilly, despite the heated grips and waterproofness, though.  Finally, Rev'it!'s Sand 3 jacket with waterproof liner and thermal liner are both very warm (I was super toasty without my heated gear) and indeed waterproof.  Of course, in both cases, the jury is still out on whether they remain waterproof on long rides in the rain, but this is a pretty good start.

• Thumbsup 4

Spooned on a set of Bridgestone Battlax S22s that were recommended by betoney and also editors from motorcycle mags reviewing the 2021 Ninja 1000 that had the S22s as OEM tires. They were raving about them. We'll see...they sure are purdy!  :))

IMG_2740.thumb.JPG.f6230b119aff3348cdbb0927a4b87042.JPG

IMG_2742.thumb.JPG.987f6107ddb7332823551401790d0d20.JPG

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

On 5/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, texscottyd said:

I'm quite happy to get 5,000 miles out of any tire, so this isn't a complaint at all, but just an observation.   I have local friends that routinely get double the mileage I've typically seen, so it remains one of those curious mysteries to me.      

I seem to get 3,200 to 3,600 out of sport touring tires like an Angel GT and hope to get 2,000 miles out of the S22 rear. And Texas roads are abrasive. We had many corners in The Hill Country that your front end just washed out and back jarring humps on straights. The chip seal there looks like it's crushed grey rock that has sharp edges. Through the corners a lot of the rock is gone and just the black shiny tar is left. The chip seal in Arkansas is like small beige to white small river pebble and is much easier on tires. NC is OK like Arkansas. These S22s should be fun. I love a good responsive tire. I would love to figure out how betoney gets 5,500 to 6,000 miles out of a set of S22s. It's a mystery!

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

On 5/6/2021 at 6:53 PM, Dpl900 said:

A small mod in the airbox,I put the piece upside down to send the air more aggressively to airbox.I left everything else as it is

Screenshot_20210507-015055.jpg

I hope you removed that foam glued to the under side of the tank.  Is the ECU flashed? 

I looked at that plastic dam. I think it keeps rain and water splash out.

• Thumbsup 2