What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

I've been spending a lot of time googling, but alas I can't find anyone who's done any actual testing.  That is, ONLY changing the snorkel and doing dyno runs, which is really too bad as it'd be interesting to see.  

I know on my MT07, simply removing the snorkel made a substantial difference, particularly in terms of running a custom flash.  In fact, just pulling the snorkel out allowed the MT07 to draw sufficient air, and any further changes did absolutely nothing. For example, swapping out the stock filter for a DNA filter and airbox lid with a larger opening.  Well, it managed to waste a bunch of cash.

I'm curious, though, so I guess it's time to see if I can find a used lid somewhere to cut up and test.  Not really keen on making permanent changes to mine without some actual data to support it.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I've been spending a lot of time googling, but alas I can't find anyone who's done any actual testing.  That is, ONLY changing the snorkel and doing dyno runs, which is really too bad as it'd be interesting to see.  

I know on my MT07, simply removing the snorkel made a substantial difference, particularly in terms of running a custom flash.  In fact, just pulling the snorkel out allowed the MT07 to draw sufficient air, and any further changes did absolutely nothing. For example, swapping out the stock filter for a DNA filter and airbox lid with a larger opening.  Well, it managed to waste a bunch of cash.

I'm curious, though, so I guess it's time to see if I can find a used lid somewhere to cut up and test.  Not really keen on making permanent changes to mine without some actual data to support it.

+1!

3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Sounds like you should be the data gatherer/guinea pig!

Let me know what you find before I cut mine up! 🤣

Dont forget about removing the front piece of foam on the underside of the gas tank. Pointed out by 2WDW as an air restriction on the dyno. Mine's gone. It also gives a nice sound when on the gas. No need for an aftetmarket pipe, much cheaper!

I personally think cutting the snorkel will just make it even louder, no performance gain. It's not making the intake holes bigger.

Mine is still virgin.

Edited by peteinpa
  • Thumbsup 1

I removed that foam too, and it definitely sounds better without it.  Love that intake noise.  I dunno how restrictive it was, and my butt dyno says no change whatsoever (I'd be surprised if it actually made a difference in power) but it was totally worth it for the induction noise.  

I wish I had access to a dyno.  I'd LOVE to test that stuff.  There's so many mods people recommend without any science done at all, and while Back In The Day it was pretty easy to eek out more power, modern bike's intake and exhaust are very carefully engineered.  Environmental aspects of course are a factor, but it's generally not simple to get more power from trivial mods anymore.

• Premium Member

I spoke directly with Dave from Vcyclenut specifically about the foam and thwhye snorkel just this week and he said he  He found a very minimal gain on the dyno  with each maybe 1% so combiind you may see 1 to 2 horsepower at most 3 and it's free so why not do but he understood why people were hesitant too Cut up their bikes for so little gain and the added noise

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

I replaced my filter yesterday and either wasn't paying attention or didn't see any foam in the bottom of the airbox on my 2020 GT.  It did sound nice when I was syncing the injectors but like the bike the way it is.  Extra sound is nice when having fun but could be an irritant when traveling.

I washed my poor, neglected Tracer this morning... after 8000 miles the first three months of ownership, it's been sitting pretty much dormant since a three-day Idaho blast with wifey around the 4th of July. 

In fact, it was that trip's layer of bugs that got washed off!  😕   Ownership abuse, I know. At least the bike is clean.  

neglectedTracer.thumb.jpg.315adaa73de62e29931fd6c58b7f93fa.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Warchild said:

Ownership abuse, I know. At least the bike is clean.  

I still haven't washed my FJ since Ely. I basically can't see through the windshield. I was going to wash it last night but then my son came over wanting help with an oil change on his truck. I thought the oil change on my Tundra was a PITA; nope, the F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost is worse. 🤬

2 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I replaced my filter yesterday and either wasn't paying attention or didn't see any foam in the bottom of the airbox on my 2020 GT.  It did sound nice when I was syncing the injectors but like the bike the way it is.  Extra sound is nice when having fun but could be an irritant when traveling.

It's on the bottom of the gas tank, right about the airbox inlet - not on the airbox itself.

It doesn't change the noise when travelling, it's just that the induction noise is louder when you get on the gas hard. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I can only vouch for my 15 but the foam is attached to the bottom of the gas tank.  I can see how it blocks air at the entrance to the air box.

With it removed its perfect, only on hard throttle is the sound louder. Cruising, touring, part throttle, you'll never know.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

on hard throttle is the sound louder. Cruising, touring, part throttle, you'll never know.

- hard throttle  😃

- cruising  😐

- touring  🙂

- part throttle  ☹️

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 5

Added a radiator guard and bar risers to my 2020 GT today. Waiting on mirror extenders and a "fenda extenda" and then will be looking for a rear fender extension possibly. Heading out for a small group meet-up in southeastern Missouri in a few weeks and trying to get the common mods for slab-touring and safety done before I leave on the trip. Cannot wait to get this Tracer on those lovely Missouri sweepers!

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

• Premium Member

Anybody know the paint color on black wheels for a 2016. Looking to touch up. Small scratches on both sides of front wheel. Noticed after I had a tire mounted by a local shop.