What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

On 8/21/2021 at 4:09 AM, fr8dog said:

Anybody know the paint color on black wheels for a 2016. Looking to touch up. Small scratches on both sides of front wheel. Noticed after I had a tire mounted by a local shop. 

I have the same question for the blurple wheels. Did my first tire change without a tire changer and got away with three small scratches. Not really an issue but a touch-up would be something to do during the winter. Make the precious perfect again. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, petshark said:

Did my first tire change without a tire changer and got away with three small scratches.

Oh, to ONLY have 3 scratches on my rims...  those were the days. 😎

If anyone lists the paint code for the black rims, I'll probably need to buy 2 bottles.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Rebalanced the front wheel. Cycle Gear put the wheel weights on the heaviest part of the wheel. 1st time that happened. Lesson learned: when I picked up the wheel, I noticed the weights were in a different location and fewer of them than every other tire change ever but I figured it was just the different tire (Dunlop Qualifier instead of Roadsmart) so I didn't say anything. Good news is that I really couldn't feel it until highway cruising speeds. 

Skidplate is a great place to lift the front end. Another reason to get one. I know people will put a jack under the headers, but I always worried about balancing the bike on a round pipe. 

She got a bath and a thorough cleaning of the filthy chain. I'm good about lubing on a schedule, but not cleaning. There was so much old lube around the front sprocket. :( Pre-clean, the chain would make a sound like crinkling paper as it rotated. All gone now. The chain is actually gold again and not gray. Chain is in good shape and moved the slack back from about 35 mm to 25 mm. About 2 mm variation total in 3 different places with my imperfect gauge. FWIW I got just over 20k miles on the OE chain.  This chain has about 13k miles. 

Lastly - due to weather and my schedule, I started her up for the 1st time in 3 weeks. At first it sounded like a horrible bag of rocks. It was so bad, I shut it off and looked the bike over. Everything (oil, coolant, chain, etc.) looked ok so I started it back up. After a few minutes it settled down to the usual noisy in neutral. After a 20 minute ride it sounded absolutely normal. No power lost. Everything felt normal. (Water puddle in the pic is leftover from the car parked there after driving through summer thunderstorms. The puddle is not from the bike).

Any ideas why so noisy?  Oil level is good and < 2000 miles old.  Ran errands on it and started/stopped it several times yesterday and it always sounded good. 

0821211629.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

37 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

Rebalanced the front wheel. Cycle Gear put the wheel weights on the heaviest part of the wheel. 1st time that happened. Lesson learned: when I picked up the wheel, I noticed the weights were in a different location and fewer of them than every other tire change ever but I figured it was just the different tire (Dunlop Qualifier instead of Roadsmart) so I didn't say anything. Good news is that I really couldn't feel it until highway cruising speeds. 

Skidplate is a great place to lift the front end. Another reason to get one. I know people will put a jack under the headers, but I always worried about balancing the bike on a round pipe. 

She got a bath and a thorough cleaning of the filthy chain. I'm good about lubing on a schedule, but not cleaning. There was so much old lube around the front sprocket. :( The chain is actually gold again and not gray. Chain is in good shape and moved the slack back from about 35 mm to 25 mm. About 2 mm variation total in 3 different places with my imperfect gauge. 

Lastly - due to weather and my schedule, I started her up for the 1st time in 3 weeks. At first it sounded like a horrible bag of rocks. It was so bad, I shut it off and looked the bike over. Everything (oil, coolant, chain, etc.) looked ok so I started it back up. After a few minutes it settled down to the usual noisy in neutral. After a 20 minute ride it sounded absolutely normal. No power lost. Everything felt normal. (Water puddle in the pic is leftover from the car parked there after driving through summer thunderstorms. The puddle is not from the bike).

Any ideas why so noisy?  Oil level is good and < 2000 miles old.  Ran errands on it and started/stopped it several times yesterday and it always sounded good. 

0821211629.jpg

These motors have a ton of valve noise and cam noise before the heads get the full oil flow.  This is one of the key reasons to never start and rev a modern motorcycle engine!

So I’d say it’s normal. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, fjdog said:

Also note, the clutch is noisy as has been discussed many times here before.

Yes, I agree. I've owned the bike for 6 years. I promise you that this was a whole other level of noisy. It sounded like rocks in a dryer. 

I also know that the bike hasn't sat for 3 weeks without riding it in years maybe ever, so I'm assuming an oil thing like @Clegg78 said unless anyone has other thoughts. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Yes, I agree. I've owned the bike for 6 years. I promise you that this was a whole other level of noisy. It sounded like rocks in a dryer. 

I also know that the bike hasn't sat for 3 weeks without riding it in years maybe ever, so I'm assuming an oil thing like @Clegg78 said unless anyone has other thoughts. 

Or CCT 

Still have OEM 

After they replaced the original per TSB V2 and it started rattling again I installed an APE manual CCT and normal noise slip / assist clutches make since 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Or CCT 

Still have OEM 

Replaced warrantied CCT about 7000 miles ago. Definitely a different sound. That's quieter, more localized, and didn't go away. 

Finally pulled the trigger on a Bagster. Im 5'9" and 170lbs.  Ill check in later next week with an update on rider/passenger comfort and whether it was worth it. 

IMG_6398.thumb.jpg.f7401bd094671390f0628d718760d164.jpg

IMG_6399.thumb.jpg.f273ffdcbc0fb94ebaf2c03a9b9a7368.jpgIMG_6400.thumb.jpg.28b8f82763990ceaa9ef52201b62a15d.jpgIMG_6401.thumb.jpg.425030decbac92cc4edcf2ed8749708d.jpg 

Edited by Samaha
typo
  • Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

Update on Bagster Seat. 

I rode for 2.5 hours yesterday with a passenger and without stops.  My wife is extremely pleased with the Bultex foam.  She never complained once, whereas she would typically ask for a break every 40 minutes on the stock seat.

For me the seat is extremely comfortable and the forward slope is gone.  I was able to move the Bagster to the higher position while maintaining the same height to ground ratio as the stock seat provided in the lower position.  I am glad i made the purchase and appreciate the advice from this forum.

IMG_6423.thumb.JPEG.fb18a006691171a3a0310d20e44c56a2.JPEG

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

A fun weekend tooling around SE Ohio and Western WVa at the MSTA's "Mail Pouch Fly-By"!  A bit over 600 miles for the weekend.  The Fudge is such a blast to play on!  And if you've never ridden SE Ohio, you are missing some of the best roads in the US.SpotTrack.thumb.JPG.ce065af514da197952727ae07efc0e15.JPG

P1030147.JPG

• Thumbsup 2

On 8/22/2021 at 11:51 AM, petshark said:

I have the same question for the blurple wheels. Did my first tire change without a tire changer and got away with three small scratches. Not really an issue but a touch-up would be something to do during the winter. Make the precious perfect again. 

I've also been on the hunt for the Blurple color code/paint code... I am kind of amazed its not easy to find given how many bikes Yamaha has had with that wheel color!

• Premium Member
On 8/29/2021 at 4:44 AM, dazzler24 said:

Synced the throttle bodies - they were out by a reasonable margin but now.... 👌

TBS.thumb.jpg.b0b556b2fd21d22886e3e40c5132f9df.jpg

Really, the TBs were off enough to bother with?  Last time I checked mine they were still PDC.

When I'm up n at em, I'm planning on doing the major service; lash check, plugs, air filter, etc) but I can easily check TB sync if not adjust it because I plumbed extension hoses with capped barb fittings from the TB ports that are readily accessible without touching the bodywork.

BTW, I've been home recuperating from my lumbar fusion surgery since the 20th and doing well.

• Thumbsup 1