What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Really, the TBs were off enough to bother with?  Last time I checked mine they were still PDC.

When I'm up n at em, I'm planning on doing the major service; lash check, plugs, air filter, etc) but I can easily check TB sync if not adjust it because I plumbed extension hoses with capped barb fittings from the TB ports that are readily accessible without touching the bodywork.

BTW, I've been home recuperating from my lumbar fusion surgery since the 20th and doing well.

Hi 2&3. The 1st cycl was down under 24 (on the scale of my carbtune) and the 2nd was just over the 24 mark with the 3rd being the reference cylinder.  I was able to pull the 1st two much closer to the reference so to answer your question - yes, they were off enough to bother with or maybe just enough to bother me. 🙂  And this time I took the opportunity to check all of the carbtune ports against one vacumn reading to ensure they were all reading the same/close. AKA calibrated.

Glad to hear that your mending process is going according to schedule.  You'll be like a new unit after all the hassles you've had in recent years! 👍  We all expect to see you doing hand-stands and backflips in coming months. 😉

Cheers and get well.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Hi 2&3. The 1st cycl was down under 24 (on the scale of my carbtune) and the 2nd was just over the 24 mark with the 3rd being the reference cylinder.  I was able to pull the 1st two much closer to the reference so to answer your question - yes, they were off enough to bother with or maybe just enough to bother me. 🙂  And this time I took the opportunity to check all of the carbtune ports against one vacumn reading to ensure they were all reading the same/close. AKA calibrated.

Glad to hear that your mending process is going according to schedule.  You'll be like a new unit after all the hassles you've had in recent years! 👍  We all expect to see you doing hand-stands and backflips in coming months. 😉

Cheers and get well.

I know what you mean being OCD among other things, I've never been able to cotton to "close enough for the girls we go out with" (or government work, hang grenades, etc.).

I have an electronic manometer as well but it has only 2 channels so for more than twins I still use my trusty mercury vacuum guage.

When I'm up to it for yucks, run some more of the stabilizer treated fuel through and to hear the Fudge wail a bit, I'll check TB sync and follow your calibration check reminder.

Regardless if I can recover soon enough before snow flies to ride a few times, there'll likely be no back flips and definitely no hand stands, as besides still having bad C4~6 discs (nowhere near as bad as my lumbar were but will enough stenosis to preclude a sport bike tuck anymore), ASAP I'll be having my right shoulder repaired due to it being almost completely torn in 3 places.  Makes pushing the bikes around the shop really tough but when it's too painful to simply reach back to pick up a cold one off the bar, then something MUST be done!

That way I hope to be ready for next spring.  My left rotator cuff was "fixed" in 2010 (and after 55 ten+ years is a LONG time!) but a recent MRI indicates it's torn again and/or a cyst has formed. Apparently both scenarios are fairly common. 

But ya gotta play the cards your dealt as in life there's often no other option.  I live by the premise it always could be worse, and if you can pick yourself up and dust yourself off with a wry smile, you're already miles ahead.

Pain builds character and teaches patience, especially if you have the need for speed.

Take care as well mate!

• Thumbsup 1

I cleaned my tracer up a bit. It was a little bug splattered. I also installed Givi pannier racks, the "rapid release" kind, and they are far from rapid release or install... Hopefully they will break in a bit. I have a set of Dolomiti panniers on the way. I finally caved on hard bags for this bike. I have been using soft bags because I can use the same setup on my ADV bike as well. But I want to be able to lock up my belongings when on long road trips. 

• Thumbsup 1

So today's ride was...interesting.  First, I got a $200 "performance award" about a minute out of my garage.  First ticket in probably 15 years.  Yeah;  I'm a badass.  Anyway, after that rocky start I had a pretty good 160 km ride on some interesting roads.  On the way back, the locking hardware on one side of my Amazon windscreen deflector apparently decided it didn't want to go home with me and departed the bike at 120 kph when I wasn't looking. So I'm sitting on the side of the road with a deflector/spoiler only attached to the windscreen on one side, which does not seem like a good idea for the rest of the ride.  Didn't have an Allen key set on me, strangely enough, but found I could wiggle the mounts off the screen.  Off course, today I decided to ride without the side cases on for the first time, so had nowhere to put the crippled spoiler, but I was wearing my ancient Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket which has a huge pocket on the back, and managed to get the spoiler into it.  Back on the road, I suddenly realized just how much difference that little spoiler was making on top of the stock screen; I couldn't believe the increase in helmet noise and buffeting without it.  Practically deaf when I got home. Having said that, I will not trust the cheap plastic hardware on those Amazon/ebay spoilers again; I felt lucky the thing didn't come off and hit me in the throat when it broke.  And that ride home made it clear that the stock screen on it's own is out of the question. So after putting the bike away, it was onto the computer to Twisted Throttle, and an MRA VarioTour is now on the way. Last week I broke down and ordered a new Corbin seat, but until today was fairly pleased with the spoiler on top of the stock screen.  Silly me; I think down deep I always knew I would end up replacing both the seat and the screen.  And now we wait.  Screen is supposed to arrive fairly quickly.  Seat will probably be quite a while, which I can live with, but continuing without an upgrade on the windscreen is a non-starter.  Onward!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 3

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, gerrychuck said:

On the way back, the locking hardware on one side of my Amazon windscreen deflector apparently decided it didn't want to go home with me and departed the bike at 120 kph when I wasn't looking.

Just a thought - if the locking mechanism you lost is anything like the one that I lost then you can parhaps recover the use of the spoiler if you know someone who can 3D print one up like I did in this thread.  Don't know if it's the same or you've lost the other bits as well but as I said - just a thought. 🙂

I can send the file if interested.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I rode it to the post office Saturday morning to drop a couple of letters in the mail.   While that’s about as boring as it gets, the FJ made it a fun little ‘rip around the neighborhood’ trip…  In the truck, it would have been a 20 minute round trip straight up & down the highway.   But on the FJ, it stretched into about 60 minutes of winding through the side roads and subdivisions.   Even trapped in suburbia, these things are just entertaining to ride…  😉

68E74CDA-6F60-491D-937F-7D66E757652E.thumb.jpeg.4dc9b94db9b5cf644b9ca9229c890fe4.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

11 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Just a thought - if the locking mechanism you lost is anything like the one that I lost then you can parhaps recover the use of the spoiler if you know someone who can 3D print one up like I did in this thread.  Don't know if it's the same or you've lost the other bits as well but as I said - just a thought. 🙂

Thanks.  I remember seeing your post.  Yes, it's exactly the same, and yes, I think that's the only piece that came off.  Honestly, though, the thing makes me nervous.  I had the same part pop off on an earlier occasion, although that was due to fat-fingering it with gloves on while adjusting it at the side of the road, and now this episode, where it appeared properly locked right up to the moment I noticed it was gone. The hardware on these is so cheap I just don't trust it, and failure at speed could be pretty disastrous.  I've been on the fence for a while about getting an MRA screen, and this just tipped me over the edge.  Thanks for the thought and the offer!

• Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

If this happens a lot (as postings seem to indicate) you might consider posting your design up on Thingiverse so it would be available to all. 

Thanks for your efforts (sez the guy currently trying to model his way out of paying Audi $$$ for their 'special' wiper fitting)!

Today on the Tracer: Warchild-wife and I completed Finisher Status in the inaugural PNW-Grand Tour event, picking up 12 of 30 Location offerings on the Tour. The final two that gave us Finisher status were: White Bird, Idaho and then Lochsa Lodge on HWY 12 west of Lolo Pass 

https://www.relive.cc/view/v36AgRN8RGv

ID6_WhiteBird.thumb.jpg.f33045d201e9336c985686c0bbff5578.jpg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've had my bolt-on MRA X-Screen Tour on my Givi Tour barn door for years; it's been bullet proof.

Are both your missing pieces part of the clamp or off the spoiler screen?

The locking mechanism on the position adjuster arms.  Not the same design or quality, I don't think, as the MRA part, which of course is why the MRA piece costs 4x as much. If I were to go with another spoiler on the stock screen I would fork out the money for the MRA or something similar, but it doesn't cost that much more to just buy the full MRA VarioTour screen with the X-Screen, which is very well reviewed and looks much better to boot, so I'm going that way.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, PeterL said:

If this happens a lot (as postings seem to indicate) you might consider posting your design up on Thingiverse so it would be available to all. 

Thanks for your efforts (sez the guy currently trying to model his way out of paying Audi $$$ for their 'special' wiper fitting)!

Actually, not a bad idea.  My design is not perfect but has functioned well enough to be still working in the spoiler today.

As we all know, sometimes fidley parts like these are only worth a couple of cents but to source them sometimes is impossible or if you can, they are outrageously priced for what they are!

I'll post a link to the Thingiverse .....well... 'thing' when I get around to it shortly. Thanks for the idea. 👍

Fall is in the air here in northern Minnesota, so tonight I put on the big Madstad screen.

Also gave the chain a good cleaning and installed an Evotech radiator guard. I was surprised how much damage the radiator has taken over a two year span. Nothing serious but it's taken some pretty good blows.

20210905_210412_resized.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 1