What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, 3sum said:

Put a new chain, sprockets, and since I had the rear wheel off, I went ahead and changed out the PR5 (that I burned through). I went down 1 tooth on the front sprocket. The gold D.I.D. looks real good. {why it’s flipping the pictures upside down is beyond me}.E8403B27-490F-42BD-B224-0E5043D54F8A.thumb.jpeg.36bb79b5ed8dbfe871234cdecd148783.jpeg

I do wonder about the flaring of the pin though. I’ve never done a hollow pin before and I’m not sure I flared it enough. 
527154F3-04B3-41F1-887D-EB580488CB87.thumb.jpeg.869bfdeaf9cb407ed5fcfa7445caac05.jpeg

27381E1A-912E-4DB6-98B7-BF4E56548CA1.jpeg

Looks great.  It's SO important not to over flair the master link.  Whose sprockets?

I usually go with Sprocket Centers Superlight sprockets, 16 / 47 (+2) with standard length chain  Yes shorter wheel base but not any more wheelie, and 8 like the turn in rate. I've converted to 520 now two times (same on my VTR1OOOF) and still get about equal mileage with the DID ZVM-X though.  Faster spin up can truely be felt, and the added felt torque is great and enhances the RPM ~ internal ratios really well.  No issues with buzziness either and might about the same too.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, draco_1967 said:

Got my new Dolomitis mounted up! They look good, and they came with a spare cylinder so the top case uses the same key. 

The rear is now 3" wider than the bars, but I probably won't use then often for around town or commuting. 

20210908_160645.thumb.jpg.a5ee171b16f249a8c9bcf859616f714a.jpg

20210908_160653.thumb.jpg.13380516795c11f17fb57d210234c53d.jpg

20210908_160700.thumb.jpg.2028e824a73107ceb200136c6d6eac96.jpg

Very nice!

What size and how much?

My Shad SH36 panniers on my fastest red 15 are no wider than the handlebar and very light but I also usually only run my Shad SH46 top case unless on "tour".

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Looks great.  It's SO important not to over flair the master link.  Whose sprockets?

I usually go with Sprocket Centers Superlight sprockets, 16 / 47 (+2) with standard length chain  Yes shorter wheel base but not any more wheelie, and 8 like the turn in rate. I've converted to 520 now two times (same on my VTR1OOOF) and still get about equal mileage with the DID ZVM-X though.  Faster spin up can truely be felt, and the added felt torque is great and enhances the RPM ~ internal ratios really well.  No issues with buzziness either and might about the same too.

Thanks. The sprockets are Vortex from Rocky Mtn ATV. the chain is the VX3 that’s so popular. I like going down 1 on the front to get more grunt. 

I made sure not to over tighten the pins. I’d do a little at a time on each and made sure each link still moved freely. I just worry I didn’t do enough. 

3 hours ago, 3sum said:

I *love* that white!

Thanks! It's 3M vinyl that I did. Looks good from 5' away 😀

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Very nice!

What size and how much?

My Shad SH36 panniers on my fastest red 15 are no wider than the handlebar and very light but I also usually only run my Shad SH46 top case unless on "tour".

They are 36L, and are $584 for the set. They measure 39" wide. I'm running Barkbusters, which are a little narrower than the stock guards. I'll mostly use them for touring, so I'm not too concerned. 

I spent too much time waffling between FJR cases, Givi V37s, Shad, and these. I wound up scoring a set of Givi PLR racks for a good price, so that meant these boxes. I like them so far. I never loved the FJR bags when I had my FJR, so they were bottom of my list. 

• Premium Member
On 9/8/2021 at 9:06 PM, 3sum said:

Thanks. The sprockets are Vortex from Rocky Mtn ATV. the chain is the VX3 that’s so popular. I like going down 1 on the front to get more grunt. 

I made sure not to over tighten the pins. I’d do a little at a time on each and made sure each link still moved freely. I just worry I didn’t do enough. 

DID has a diameter dimension for each chain master link flair (flare?) you can measure with a vernier caliper.  I always go with the minimum diameter.  So you can still check and flare more if needed.

I use the ZVM-X because I dropped to a 520.  +2 on the rear IMO gives you the perfect extra grunt without adding too many revs.

• Thumbsup 1

Flair is perfect! I love the gold chain. But how do you ride the bike upside down? 🤣

Edited by 2linby
  • Haha 3

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

11 hours ago, Warchild said:

Curious, are those LED lamps in the upper rear corners of the GIVI? If so - have you got them wired up? 

Yes, there are LEDs in there. This box came with an electronic lock release and LED brake light, but I found both to be quite flaky. The latch release would work about 5% of the time, and the LED connections involved some really weak connections. Every few months I would have to go in and reconnect the tiny wires inside. Once I moved the trunk to the Tracer, I didn't even bother hooking up the power to the box. 

Admore has some better quality LEDs for Givi boxes that include running, brake, and turn signals. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

First time posting on this thread but had to for this.

What did I do to my tracer today?

Picked it up after my mother in law ran over it :(

crash bars took most of the damage, only a snapped side stand :)

Where did the side stand "snap"?  At the frame bracket, pivot / clevis or below in the shaft.  I mount and dismount due to back issues by stepping on the left peg with my left boot and swinging my right leg over.  The stand has developed more side play and I worry it will fail each time I'm mounting up.  So I'm curious what the weak points are; not that getting knocked over by a car would impart the same stress / strain, impact forces.

BTW, did you then accidentally back over your MIL?

I loved my MIL (may she RIP), and often fantasize about running over the b-tch who bore me...and she's 94!  The good do die young...

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

First time posting on this thread but had to for this.

What did I do to my tracer today?

Picked it up after my mother in law ran over it :(

crash bars took most of the damage, only a snapped side stand :)

That's exactly what happened when my wife backed into mine - snapped the side stand, crash bars protected the rest.

15 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Where did the side stand "snap"?  At the frame bracket, pivot / clevis or below in the shaft.  I mount and dismount due to back issues by stepping on the left peg with my left boot and swinging my right leg over.  The stand has developed more side play and I worry it will fail each time I'm mounting up.  So I'm curious what the weak points are; not that getting knocked over by a car would impart the same stress / strain, impact forces.

BTW, did you then accidentally back over your MIL?

I loved my MIL (may she RIP), and often fantasize about running over the b-tch who bore me...and she's 94!  The good do die young...

Mine: 20210306_101527.thumb.jpg.3cd709ce6d8e1f14380e858cd796a9b6.jpg

• Sad 2