What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Today, I tucked the FJ (and all the other bikes) carefully away in the shop to ride out the wind and rain from Hurricane Nicholas.  

Talk about JUST skirting the edge of the storm… 

9713FA93-E884-4249-80FB-F385253F772B.thumb.jpeg.48e0dec5369780909306b9ed82141a71.jpeg

It looks like a case of .."Houston, we have (narrowly averted) a problem"

Good to see you missed the worst of it.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

It looks like a case of .."Houston, we have (narrowly averted) a problem"

Good to see you missed the worst of it.

We're just going to have rain here in Mississippi starting this afternoon.  Then it will follow me out to the Smokies.  I have a class in Bryson City this weekend.  2 years ago I rode the moto out, had great weather, and got to ride Wayah Road and the Dragon, etc. after class.  This time I'm driving the truck and, best case, expect to get some wet hikes in.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Mine: 20210306_101527.thumb.jpg.3cd709ce6d8e1f14380e858cd796a9b6.jpg

Good to know, thanks.  Did it also bend the pivot bracket and spread the stand clevis, and do you think internal corrosion contributed?

When my body permits, I'm going to take a close up and personal look at my side stand below the clevis!

35 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Good to know, thanks.  Did it also bend the pivot bracket and spread the stand clevis, and do you think internal corrosion contributed?

When my body permits, I'm going to take a close up and personal look at my side stand below the clevis!

No, no other damage.  I feel it's breaking was inevitable, rust or no rust inside, as there was a jeep pressing the bike backwards and directly into the kickstand.  Something had to give.  

Honestly, breaking where it did was probably the best way to go because nothing else was damaged (like the mounts!) 

I will say, unequivocally, that even with the internal rust there, (were it not broken obviously) I'd absolutely trust it with my 300+lb mass hopping onto the bike via the footpeg.  It's still very strong, just that physics where not in its favour when pushed by a reversing jeep.

22 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Where did the side stand "snap"?  At the frame bracket, pivot / clevis or below in the shaft.  I mount and dismount due to back issues by stepping on the left peg with my left boot and swinging my right leg over.  The stand has developed more side play and I worry it will fail each time I'm mounting up.  So I'm curious what the weak points are; not that getting knocked over by a car would impart the same stress / strain, impact forces.

BTW, did you then accidentally back over your MIL?

I loved my MIL (may she RIP), and often fantasize about running over the b-tch who bore me...and she's 94!  The good do die young...

7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Mine: 20210306_101527.thumb.jpg.3cd709ce6d8e1f14380e858cd796a9b6.jpg

That's exactly where mine broke. I assume it may be an intentional breaking point to protect the frame from damage. I was amazed at how clean the break was. Almost looked like someone took a saw to it.

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks all!

It's worth noting that this break point is largely vertical when mounting, so even if it's unusually weak, standing on the peg is putting some 90% of the load straight down, so it's only bearing a little weight laterally.  

• Thumbsup 1

On 9/14/2021 at 9:09 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Damned I'll check soon as I get home

Mounted my new MRA Vario Touring windscreen and went for a ride in some very windy conditions.  Had the spoiler in it's highest position (I'm 6'3", although the 36" inseam means much of that height is in my legs) with the screen in its highest position as well.   No comparison to the stock screen on its own; the only way I could ride with that setup was with the screen in its lowest position and take the full wind blast on the helmet; higher resulted in painful buffeting.  Comparison to the stock screen with a cheap Amazon spoiler on it is more interesting.  That combination tamed the wind noise considerably, as well as the buffeting.  Using the MRA set up as described above was certainly the best I've experienced yet on the bike.  Still a fair amount of air hitting the helmet, but it was very clean with no buffeting to speak of.  My ride allowed me to experience pretty stiff winds from every quadrant, from a virtually silent ride away from the wind (could hear the engine, which I don't ever remember at highway speeds before) to quartering crosswinds and straight into the gale.  All were very tolerable, with the reduced buffeting very noticeable.  Although the stocker with spoiler was close, it absolutely did not eliminate the buffeting the way the MRA does, and the superior rigidity of the MRA/spoiler assembly meant way less flex and wobbling, which inspired confidence.  My only, very minor, complaint is that the mirror stems now hit the side of the screen at full lock, so wiggling out of my garage and driveway saw me bumping the edge of the screen a few times.  Might mount the PITA edge protector just for that reason.  Anyway, very happy with the choice to go with the MRA.

• Thumbsup 3

I didn't wrench on anything, but that is the good news.    Today I wrapped up my 1800mi trip to Yellowstone for a few days.   Zero issues on the ride, and yesterday was the 1yr anniversary of me punching a hole in the oil pan in New Mexico last year.   

This rounded out 4300mi of multi day trips this summer ( another 1000 or more were done on just commuting and putzing around the front range this summer). The map below is the total summer running.   Here is the ground the bike covered in 2021 (on multi day trips)   The bike just went over 9000mi today as well.

Most mornings were below freezing when I started, and in the 80s by the time i was back at the hotel this trip.  The T32 tires worked great in the cold weather, and so did the bike.  Zero issues turning it over in the morning in 21F temps.  (I have an Antigravity Lithium battery which I had concerns about in cold weather, not any more).  Only issue I noticed in those temps was the braking was sluggish.  I am flushing the lines with DOT5.1 or DOT 4 LV tomorrow, as that should fix the cold weather breaking feel (WAY thinner viscosity index). 

image.thumb.png.89578e9991129bb151d8b7eaace45863.png

image.thumb.png.68d93d77e0fe773c6b611bad32b48862.png
image.thumb.png.e4cc9ee4e9df973a52cce7037a59f893.png

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 3

I did almost get hit yesterday in NW Colorado though.  This dude in a white SUV never saw me... in blaze yellow, on a sunny day,  and just kept pulling into the road.  I pitched over and kept moving over to the left to give him room, and he kept coming. 

image.thumb.png.cf56381deab3f26a45a40b5e7d5c8832.png

I didn't realize how close it ended up being until I saw the rear camera image.  In the video, he barely slows down when I am in front of him, and just continues on his way. 

image.thumb.png.107e5420528ff2fb3bb0896917613e3c.png

I was going too fast (it was a 55Mph area) to brake and stop, so I just kept on it and with no traffic coming at me, I could just roll as far to the left as needed.   I saw it all coming so it wasn't a panic situation, but I am mystified that he never stopped. 

Edited by Clegg78
  • Sad 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

I did almost get hit yesterday in NW Colorado though.  This dude in a white SUV never saw me... in blaze yellow, on a sunny day,  and just kept pulling into the road.  I pitched over and kept moving over to the left to give him room, and he kept coming. 

image.thumb.png.cf56381deab3f26a45a40b5e7d5c8832.png

I didn't realize how close it ended up being until I saw the rear camera image.  In the video, he barely slows down when I am in front of him, and just continues on his way. 

image.thumb.png.107e5420528ff2fb3bb0896917613e3c.png

I was going too fast (it was a 55Mph area) to brake and stop, so I just kept on it and with no traffic coming at me, I could just roll as far to the left as needed.   I saw it all coming so it wasn't a panic situation, but I am mystified that he never stopped. 

These near miss situations in clear conditions and with you in your hi-vis gear should always send a sobering message for us all.

NEVER think that the other person has seen you even if all logic says that they MUST have.

Just as well that you had a mile of room to go around!

Thanks for sharing.

• Thumbsup 2

8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

These near miss situations in clear conditions and with you in your hi-vis gear should always send a sobering message for us all.

NEVER think that the other person has seen you even if all logic says that they MUST have.

Just as well that you had a mile of room to go around!

Thanks for sharing.

yeah, I've noted my mistakes of not immediately going ALL the way over to the left assuming he would never see me... I only went half way over assuming he'd see me when I was kind of in front of him.      Every event like this is a (hopefully) painless and free learning experience.    I was following a car going into that intersection (a bit back... not tailgating at all), and I am assuming the guy just saw the black car turning and didn't see me coming behind (and then just had his eyes closed the rest of the turn??) 

I had an old guy at a campsite ask me 10 years ago when I had been riding for only a few years "So you think you are a good rider? you know what you are doing?"   My reply then and still today "Nope, I am always learning.  I make mistakes (mostly minor, missed shift, forget to go down to 1st at a stop light, etc...)  every time I ride and try to learn from them... I will never be done learning on the bike until I stop riding"

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I presume (incorrectly?) that you have a loud horn (i.e., added second 105 db Fiamm low-tone disc horn like me or replaced the OEM horn with a "blaster)?  If so, did you use it during this incident and if so, it presumably had no real desired effect?

This type of incident just reinforce my 30+ year decision to run a headlight modulator on all my bikes, plus add driving and side marker lighting, along with brighter front and rear running / turn signals, as well as brighter, programmable flashing rake and auxiliary brake lights.  Additionally, besides either Flo yellow gear or a electroluminescent SeeMee vest, I now have adopted a Flo yellow air vest.  Also, I've upgraded all my armor to level 2 and added a level 2 chest protector.  Armored gloves with hard palm sliders and armored boots some with "hinges", I never ride without them.

50 years of riding have taught me if you aren't there they can't kill you, and to try to stay 5 moves ahead and look where you need to go, and not focus on the threat. Continues training and practice is essential.

You MUST assume cagers are half brain dead mouth breathers who care only about themselves!

Rant over.

Sorry...

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

I was following a car going into that intersection (a bit back... not tailgating at all), and I am assuming the guy just saw the black car turning and didn't see me coming behind (and then just had his eyes closed the rest of the turn??)

One thing that I do when following a vehicle and there are cars pulling out on side roads is to change my position in the lane so that I am out from behind the vehicle I am following, (in clear line of sight of the car pulling out) not in the center of the lane. 

If a car is potentially pulling out from the left, I ride closer to the center line and if from the right, I ride closer to the fog line or right edge of my lane. 

You might already do this but just thought I would throw it out there.

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***