What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

2 hours ago, knyte said:

I can't wait to do that trip in the spring.  I'd go this weekend, too, if not for other plans.  Going through Banff probably?

Yeah, it's the most direct route, despite the side trip through Radium because of the Hwy1 closure.  Stupid extra two hours put the nail in the coffin of trying to push it all in one day.  It's a beautiful ride though, so I can't be that upset.

I need to be on the island for Sunday, and get off work at 7am Friday, so it's taking a bit of juggling to make things happen right.

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Have fun on your trip, there's nothing I enjoy more than a multi-day ride, between simple 800 mile over nighters to week-long adventures, I've managed to go 14k miles so far this year. 

Too bad the weather is so crappy right now, hopefully you avoid any snow.

Yeah.  The weather is pretty good everywhere but the mountain passes (of course) - everywhere else is cool but clear.  

So will be Calgary -> Radium -> Golden -> Revelstoke for day one, then some to-be-determined route from Revelstoke to Horseshoe Bay in North Vancouver for the ferry to Vancouver Island.  There's LOTS of options there. Gonna lean hard on weather reports and the (shockingly excellent) set of webcams along all the major highways to decide on Saturday morning.  Drivebc.ca is remarkably useable for a government service.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah.  The weather is pretty good everywhere but the mountain passes (of course) - everywhere else is cool but clear.  

So will be Calgary -> Radium -> Golden -> Revelstoke for day one, then some to-be-determined route from Revelstoke to Horseshoe Bay in North Vancouver for the ferry to Vancouver Island.  There's LOTS of options there. Gonna lean hard on weather reports and the (shockingly excellent) set of webcams along all the major highways to decide on Saturday morning.  Drivebc.ca is remarkably useable for a government service.

Very Nice!!

When life gets back to normal, I hope to get North of the border on the bike.  There seems to be a TON of twisty mountain roads and then of course I want to go East and ride Banff to Jasper.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yesterday, took the Tracer from Calgary to Revelstoke.  Weather held till the summit of Rogers Pass, where it simultaneously got very dark, started *pouring* rain, and densely foggy.  

It reminds me that I'm too old for night riding at best.  Much of the trip down from the summit (only 80kms or so) I couldn't even see road lines, just had to aim a bit to the right of the blinding oncoming traffic and hope for the best.  Eventually found someone in a car equally terrified and doing less than 80(! Even in a car, I'd not be doing 100+ in these conditions) and glued myself to his bumper following his tail lights.  He kept trying to wave me past, even fully stopped once, but nope - I was not letting my guiding lights get away.  Hope they weren't scared by that!  I like to think my intent was obvious, but you never know.

Traveling alone on the Tracer is great, though.  It sure loves eating highway miles, and it's so much fun on winding mountain roads.  As much as I do love the Tenere too, this is where the Tracer really comes into its own.

• Like 3

• Supporting Member

Road tested the grip mitts on a wimpy 4C morning... summer gloves, grips heaters at lowest setting. Total comfort for my hands in the colder months of the season. Pretty sure I heard my thumbs and the knuckles say 'thank you'. I have the mitts wrapped over the KTM Adventure plastics.

obravd.thumb.jpg.fbf5057755f0c51dc5b1cacac3c9de23.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

10 weeks to the day since I rode last before my double lumbar fusion on 8-18, I finally felt up to getting out and dared a short spin

Great news Bret!  Gotta feel good to be back in saddle… 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I finally felt up to getting out and dared a short spin up to Burlington WI for my fav frozen custard and a couple Johnsonville frank's (yes the latter are just passable).

I won't call it glorious and I took it very easy, as I'm more than a bit stiff and rusty but the Ti Man (not tin) was happy enough.

It might not have been "glorious" but you were able to get back on the bike... and the stop for frozen custard makes it all the more enjoyable. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Yes, thanks guys!!  My Aerostitch Transit 2 pants were TIGHT!  And the jacket none too loose as well.

Covid-19 pounds ++

But we got our 1st frost advisory last night and starting tomorrow it's supposed to rain for a week...

Then on the 6th I get my Covid test and hide till the 9th when I'm having a Button TURP.  My fourth such procedure.  😞  Can you keep from crossing your legs tightly?

But I'm optimistic, I just ordered those ADV grip muffs. 🙂

7 hours ago, piotrek said:

Road tested the grip mitts on a wimpy 4C morning... summer gloves, grips heaters at lowest setting. Total comfort for my hands in the colder months of the season. Pretty sure I heard my thumbs and the knuckles say 'thank you'. I have the mitts wrapped over the KTM Adventure plastics.

obravd.thumb.jpg.fbf5057755f0c51dc5b1cacac3c9de23.jpg

Yes!  They're outstanding.  Totally worth the $100.  Two days into my trip I've both not used my heated gloves at all but also rarely turned my heated grips past their lowest setting (which correlates to 3/10) - despite even pouring rain and low temps.  My gloves are waterproof, but they didn't even get wet, aside from a teeny bit on the wrist.

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yes, thanks guys!!  My Aerostitch Transit 2 pants were TIGHT!  And the jacket none too loose as well.

Covid-19 pounds ++

But we got our 1st frost advisory last night and starting tomorrow it's supposed to rain for a week...

Then on the 6th I get my Covid test and hide till the 9th when I'm having a Button TURP.  My fourth such procedure.  😞  Can you keep from crossing your legs tightly?

But I'm optimistic, I just ordered those ADV grip muffs. 🙂

Damn that covid weight.  Getting dressed to leave the hotel this morning, I stumbled on a full length mirror.  Now, for sure, I'm wearing several layers, but still: my jacket is 4xl and it's full.  But if I fall off a mountain, I'll just lazily bounce my way down completely unharmed, so there's that.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

I'm only a bit more petite than you but with all my maladies, 20+ # over my already less than slim figure really is a huge drag on the low endurance I have; already being so stiff and out of shape. Not that I've been more than a shadow of my former Olympian self since my horrific bicycle crash on 01-01-07, which caused most of the orthopedic issues I've been dealing with since to this day.  One of which, the right half of a pair of torn rotator cuffs, really flared up last night after my ride.  Pushing the FJ out and back into my shop, as well as at pit stops just was too much, despite concerted PT.  The stenosis in my C5&6 also became litrally a significant pain in the neck more than usual  Well, at least my lumbar region did not cry foul thankfully.

After the hot dogs for lunch and pastor borrito and tamale last night, I was up early dispensing with them concurrently reading a bit from the latest issue of American Motorcyclist magazine; which has  improved tremendously since Mitch Boehm has taken the helm.

Now I'm going to monitor the MotoGP and under classes underway in Misano.  Poor Val, talk about being overshadowed by youth and vigor.  His final Misano will only be memorable for being his worst I'm afraid.

8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I'm going to monitor the MotoGP and under classes underway in Misano.  Poor Val, talk about being overshadowed by youth and vigor.  His final Misano will only be memorable for being his worst I'm afraid.

I just finished watching that race - no real spoilers here, except to say it was gratifying to see Vale finished as high as he did for his final Italian race. 👍

motogp-san-marino-gp-2021-vale-2.thumb.jpg.2638eb3c74d4fec8097c0b86e4fa9a84.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Damn that covid weight.  Getting dressed to leave the hotel this morning, I stumbled on a full length mirror.  Now, for sure, I'm wearing several layers, but still: my jacket is 4xl and it's full.

LOL... I gave my heated jacket a try today. They say it needs to be snug to be effective... couldn't see bottom of the zipper when done and crested my gut at maximum stretch. It should be pretty effective this year. 😒

That's it... January 1 it's all gonna change. 😬

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

20211027_091605(0).gif.4e4c748e3a10ff22ab47b4a4fbe4f3bf.gifIMG_20211027_164437_974.thumb.jpg.2dc868aa0ebd3c4df3f3cd1f7054a641.jpg

Parked her after the conclusion of the 6 day trek.  Was pushing it heading home, did not want to stop for gas again :)

I've definitely decided that 500km/day is my limit now in my old age.  Maybe a bit more in better conditions, but not much.  After 500km I'm *tired*.  Admittedly this was with rain, cold, and snow - but I was warm and dry.  Traction required constant monitoring however, and my winters - while quite capable - do not feel great at lean and speed.  Which is fair, I suppose, they aren't sport tires, and are pretty worn now.

• Thumbsup 5