What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

On 11/14/2021 at 8:19 AM, 1moreroad said:

For a garage your size (assuming it's car/truck length deep) where you don't have to open the door, these things are awesome.  They take a while to warm up the space, so you turn it on before a leisurely breakfast then you're ready to work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Comfort-Zone-1-500-Watt-White-Electric-Oil-Filled-Radiator-Space-Heater-with-Silent-Operation-CZ8008/311300771

Oh, wait... MN.  Maybe 2 or 3 of these heaters?

This is kind of the problem.  They actually draw 1500 watts, so you can't run two simultaneously on one (regular 15A) circuit.  You'd need multiple circuits to your garage to do that. 

I've got one of these, and it's a great little heater with the advantage that it's never a fire hazard, but it doesn't come anywhere near getting my garage (insulated, but not really well) above freezing in the winter unless I run it 24/7 and that costs a fortune.  

A really strong option, however, are the diesel heaters: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324874228892

Edit: I'm not specifically recommending that model; there's lots; I just pulled that up quick to show what I'm talking about.

These put out an absolutely shocking amount of heat and are very fuel efficient.  You can route the exhaust out a window with a bit of ingenuity and a piece of plywood, in the same way you do so for a portable AC unit.  My brother in law set one up in his garage and it's an order of magnitude cheaper to run (even given our low electricity costs) and will get his garage from -20C to +20C in 15 minutes.  

3 hours ago, mikerbiker said:

Just ordered my set...  Merry Christmas to me...  🙂

You won't be disappointed.  I really can't overstate how incredibly effective these are for keeping your hands warm, comfortable, and dry.  They're awesome, and I wish I bought mine years ago.

They're so good, I'm seriously considering buying a second pair so I don't have to keep moving mine between bikes, even though it's like a 1 minute job and two strips of velcro to move them.  There's just no case where it's below 5C where I don't want them on a bike.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Motorcyclist move to FL? Double u tee eff? 😄 Go look at my thread just asking about a ride in FL.

Florida, the roads stink and it's to hot to be working out in the garage. 4+ months a year mine runs about 95 degrees most days in the summer. I just put a 6 panel sliding screen on the garage door so it can be open at night with out all the stinking bugs. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member

Today I checked the chain slack and it was at about 1.5". Ran out to get a 27mm socket and adjusted the chain to just under 1". Went for a short test ride and all I can say is Whoooa. I never understood the snatchy throttle comments about this bike. I figured my 2017 had an update or something as she was pretty docile. She is new to me with no ECU Flash, and I really have nothing to compare it with as I had little experience with anything above 250cc before. Today the throttle was really sensitive, I had to hold on tight 🙂

When I got back I re-checked the chain slack and it was about 1/3". I will work on it again till it's closer to 1". Is it common for a reduction in chain slack to make the throttle more sensitive? I did adjust the suspension a little also.

29 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

Today I checked the chain slack and it was at about 1.5". Ran out to get a 27mm socket and adjusted the chain to just under 1". Went for a short test ride and all I can say is Whoooa. I never understood the snatchy throttle comments about this bike. I figured my 2017 had an update or something as she was pretty docile. She is new to me with no ECU Flash, and I really have nothing to compare it with as I had little experience with anything above 250cc before. Today the throttle was really sensitive, I had to hold on tight 🙂

When I got back I re-checked the chain slack and it was about 1/3". I will work on it again till it's closer to 1". Is it common for a reduction in chain slack to make the throttle more sensitive? I did adjust the suspension a little also.

Prepare yourself for a/multiple sermon(s) on an overly tight chain. 😂

1.5” was probably fine

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, angrygirafe said:

1.5” was probably fine

Got specs from Service Manual. 

20211116_162430.jpg

20211116_162301.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, angrygirafe said:

1.5” was probably fine

ROFL I had one written up but then figured I'd save it ;) 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heli ATP said:

Got specs from Service Manual. 

20211116_162430.jpg

20211116_162301.jpg

Holy shit, the FJ was down to 5mm of slack?!   That is less than almost any bike I've seen!  The Tracer 900 (longer swing arm, but I don't think that should make much difference) is 35min, 45 max, and 50 absolute edge.   40mm is 1.5" which I think is why you see that as the go to recommendation here. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, angrygirafe said:

Yeah, you can search the forum for more details, but the general consensus is you can safely ignore that page and a few torque values as well. Loosen it up a bit and you will have a much smoother ride. 

Thanks, back to 1.5" it is. Phew that was a close one  😉

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

Yeah, dunno why the FJ's recommended chain slack is so incredibly low.  The old MT09 service manual says the same thing, and it's very, very strange.  I've never seen a bike with a recommended slack below 1" before, and the FJ/MT09 service manual lists 1" as the absolute maximum and a target of less than half an inch.  

• Thumbsup 1

This must be a very common issue?? When I purchased my "new to me" 2020 Tracer 900GT it had recently been serviced,(at a Yamaha dealer) and the service ticket stated, "adjusted chain to 1/2" slack"! Bike vibrated something terrible. I loosened the chain to about 1-1/2" slack and it was perfect!

Edited by Suzukiguy

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

1 hour ago, Suzukiguy said:

This must be a very common issue?? When I purchased my "new to me" 2020 Tracer 900GT it had recently been serviced,(at a Yamaha dealer) and the service ticket stated, "adjusted chain to 1/2" slack"! Bike vibrated something terrible. I loosened the chain to about 1-1/2" slack and it was perfect!

That is definitely weird, because the 2018+ Tracer's service manual very clearly says 35-45mm.  They were making assumptions based on the earlier bikes' manuals. 

47 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

That is definitely weird, because the 2018+ Tracer's service manual very clearly says 35-45mm.  They were making assumptions based on the earlier bikes' manuals. 

When I brought my Tracer home from the dealer, it had zero slack.  I know this weirdness has been talked about before. I also noticed that the chain gets a lot more slack very quickly when the bike is brand new so I wonder if they do this to compensate (so that people don't unknowingly end up with super-slack chains after 200-300 km)

Or maybe it was just my chain that got slack real quick at the beginning because it was too tight and wore quickly.  I rode it for 200-300 km and had to tighten it up to get back in spec (which for the GT is 1.4 - 1.77 inches) 

Edited by Skidood