What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

I got mine put away for winter . They already salted and brined the roads here . So I'm done till the road are washed off with the spring rains . It sucks but the  brine they use just eats metal. Did get two early XMAS presents for bike .A Black Widow exhaust and an ABBA Superbike stand with front lift. Looking for spring install for next season.

MIKE

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/19/2021 at 6:09 PM, GTO MIKE said:

I got mine put away for winter . They already salted and brined the roads here . So I'm done till the road are washed off with the spring rains . It sucks but the  brine they use just eats metal. Did get two early XMAS presents for bike .A Black Widow exhaust and an ABBA Superbike stand with front lift. Looking for spring install for next season.

MIKE

I've been eyeballing an ABBA Skylift myself.  The things are awesome.  Tons of money, though, pretty tough to justify... but soooooo cool.

https://abbastandsusa.com/product-detail.asp?item=sky-lift&pid=44

Really, though, the superbike stand with front lift is good enough for all reasonable purposes.  I'd just love to not have to bend over/kneel anymore; what with shot knees and all.  And being able to have your bike standing in wheelie position and able to be wheeled around that way would be very cool....  but more than twice the price.

• Premium Member

I've had a handy lift for for over 25 years and that in conjunction with good old fashioned pitbull front convertible and 2 way rear stands have served me well And paid for themselves a 1000 times over

Back in 95 I think the handy lift was about 650 bucks shipped with the wheel vice and the Dolly

I used to be a dealer for pit bulls so I got them for dirt cheap but they tightened up their requirements so no more of that

An air conditioned and heated shop carpeted et cetera shop makes summer and Winter projects very pleasant, along with Wi-Fi, a fridge, 20' of workbench and tools up the wazzu...

Eat your heart out😁

• Thumbsup 3

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I've been eyeballing an ABBA Skylift myself.  The things are awesome.  Tons of money, though, pretty tough to justify... but soooooo cool.

https://abbastandsusa.com/product-detail.asp?item=sky-lift&pid=44

Really, though, the superbike stand with front lift is good enough for all reasonable purposes.  I'd just love to not have to bend over/kneel anymore; what with shot knees and all.  And being able to have your bike standing in wheelie position and able to be wheeled around that way would be very cool....  but more than twice the price.

Yea the sky lift is pricey.At least with the superbike stand with front lift,will be able to take off both wheels for easier tire changes and also exhaust work !

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Prepped the bike for the first maintenance task this winter... valve lash check #2. The spark plugs looked great. The valve cover comes off in the morning. Very curious to see how things held up since the adjustment.

20211126_165339.thumb.jpg.c7814364682083276628febce4fc19ba.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

5 hours ago, piotrek said:

Prepped the bike for the first maintenance task this winter... valve lash check #2. The spark plugs looked great. The valve cover comes off in the morning. Very curious to see how things held up since the adjustment.

20211126_165339.thumb.jpg.c7814364682083276628febce4fc19ba.jpg

what is their function ?? yet to understand .... must be with ecu flash ???

• Supporting Member

Valve check #2 at 67K km. Thankfully nothing further to do... all pretty much as I had left it adjusted at 37K km, right near the top of the spec range. Happy I don't have to be pulling the cams. 👍

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm going to be checking my valves this Winter, 3rd check. 2nd check They were all good but the 1st check at 22000 mile they were all very tight. I hope I find no change again.   It seems it's idling and running a little rough so maybe the throttle bodies need to be tweaked a little bit. Will check and replace the plugs if necessary is well Along with the air filter et cetera.

It's going to be a long Winter again hopefully is hopefully milder than last year thanks to global warming...

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, Dpl900 said:

what is their function ?? yet to understand .... must be with ecu flash ???

@Dpl900... sorry, but I am unclear what you are asking.

If it's the block-off plates... they are meant to block air injection into the exhaust system. Air is normally injected to help cleanup emissions a bit by burning off residual gasses. In catless systems the excess air in the exhaust causes kaboom. Blocking the air injection system prevents that from happening. A flash can also do this, but the solenoid valve can leak over time... so the plates are just a bit more foolproof... and make your valve cover look fab. 😁

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I'm at 46k miles so I decided to tear the bike down for a valve lash check. All were in spec except for one exhaust valve at 0.23mm. One fracking valve. 🤬

Three others were at about .26 (the lower limit for exhaust) so I might as well adjust them too. I wish the range for exhaust valves wasn't so narrow: .26-.30. Most shim kits have shims in .05 increments, so if a valve is at .255 you can only go to .305. So now I need to go on the hunt for a couple oddball sizes. Fun.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

I'm at 46k miles so I decided to tear the bike down for a valve lash check. All were in spec except for one exhaust valve at 0.23mm. One fracking valve. 🤬

Welcome to the club. Not bad at all... my first check exhaust numbers were mostly in the teens 😱. You can get Pro-X shims in .025 increments here.

I suppose the adjustment could be a selling point... that is if you're still selling the FJ. Maybe I had missed something somewhere...

Edited by piotrek
  • Thanks 1